SEND IN THE CLONES - TDH Opens a Clone Trooper Forum!

I'm gonna agree with andy and nathan. As much as the mods of TDH want to expand the site it seems like the site is losing what it is. Why not start another site and board that's branched off of here through banners or such about all the other characters. That way TDH stays about what it is.

I tend to agree with this idea.

Why not create a sister site to TDH that covers all the other costumes there is demand for. Promote the same family friendly, positive atmosphere that is TDH, but make it a separate site.

That way it eliminates the confusion that may result when people start saying "you should check out The Dented Helmet if youre wanting to make a clonetrooper", to which the logical response would be "Dented Helmet? isnt that Boba Fett? What do they know about clones?"

The Dented Helmet = Fett and Fett related costumes to most people, and rightly so.

I realize that creating a separate site would incur more costs to run, but I think ultimately it would help to keep the "Dented Helmet" branding effective at representing this site, while providing an additional sister site for other costumes, with the same high quality of leadership, and the same atmosphere.

This is simply my thoughts on the subject. I fully understand that The Dent has made the decision, and that he is doing what he feels is best for the site. I do appreciate the willingness to listen to, and the respect for the members and their thoughts, even if they are not implemented.

After reading all of the stuff that has been posted its clear to me that many are against this...I like the idea of being able to discuss Clones but I hope this is not going to be a big war going on every day!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nathan does have a valid point of reasoning and I do understand there are some people with concerns this move is diverging in direction, however my hope is in time most folks will be supportive and appreciate this latest progression to the board.

A community thrives by allowing its roots to grow and propagate in order to better itself and its surroundings, many great contributions over the years are in no small part thanks to the efforts of many talented individuals in this community who came aboard originally with knowledge and versatility in other respective fields within the star wars costuming community that ultimately became beneficial to the whole.

That’s the amazing thing about diversity, it opens up a realm of possibilities and potential that cultivates progress, breed’s creativity and generates most importantly understanding between people.:)

We should always look forward and embrace change, and never try to reel away from it.

Well I just had a talk with The Dent about the situation, and the explanation presented made a lot of sense. I'm not going to go too far into detail, because the conversation was private.

I say just give it some time, and as what was explained to me, if the Clones section really takes off, it may branch off of TDH and become a sister site.

I still don't agree that there is a demand for another Clone site.. What I notice is that people post their build up threads here on The Dented Helmet, 501stforums.com, Clone-Empire.com, and Clonetroopers.net;

I think that there are some of us that would prefer to just stick to this board and not really get out to the other clone forums much.

One of the things I really like about TDH is that the admins run a REALLY tight ship.

I also really like that this ISN'T a 501st related board. I think it's good to NOT have to worry about Legion drama.

While I see it's all ready too late to turn back, I would prefer that if TDH would have an open floor debate on such changes to the forum. We are all members of the community, and I think that the membership should be permitted to give their input before such changes are implemented.

I also disagree with that... on the "tight ship" note, I LOVE that TDH does NOT get mired in debate. There are decisions here I don't disagree with, but I like that better than having 12 page long debates.

One of the things I really like about TDH is that the admins run a REALLY tight ship.
That was one thing explained to me, but I guess I've had a little turn of thought on the subject. We'll see what happens, and I always have been interested in what new costumes you guys come up with :)

Wow. I leave for a couple of hours, and come back to some very interesting posts!

To all those who disagree with this move, I hear you and understand your concerns. By and large, they are valid and legitimate. However, NovallTalon hit the nail on the head, with Andy giving a very good follow up. I am not sure how much more I can say that they didn't state very precisely about the growth and life-cycle of a board.

I do want to make a couple of statements, in hopes of easing the minds of those with concerns.

1) We are NOT becoming an "ALL STAR WARS COSTUMING" board. I do expect us to continue to grow and expand, but I can never see us becoming that diverse as I do feel we might lose a bit too much of what makes us a success.

2) IF the clone section were to really take off in a major way, and considering there are two other well established boards in place, I don't see us becoming that popular, we would break it off into a sister site. We would not sit idly by and allow any character to eclipse Boba Fett as the primary draw to TDH.

3) Every change we have made to TDH over the years have brought about naysayers who predicted doom and gloom. And some people have left because they didn't agree with the direction we have moved. However, I think we have always come out on top (although we have made our share of mistakes) and statistically we have continued to grow at an amazing rate. This isn't said to pat ourselves on the back, but to say that while changes do come, most of our membership seems to agree with it, or to eventually agree with it, or at the very least, eventually be able to live with it. This will be the same.

On a final note, for all the changes we have made over the years, I have never received so many calls, PMs and emails of support and enthusiasm.

:lol:lol::lol:lol:
Your'e kidding, right?

man , this forum is really going down the tubes.
I came here for info on Boba, cuz it's "THE DENTED HELMET" forum

not the
"EVERY FRIGGIN STAR WARS COSTUME WE CAN THINK OF" forum

the other costumes have their own forums that do quite well
Stick to what you do best & don't try to be something you're not.

My 2 cents

Wow. Well, we had 10,000 posts last month that say we aren't going down the tubes and in fact our stats say that we are doing the exact opposite, we are growing. And you know what we can statistically prove? That each time we have added something new...we have seen growth. The fact is there IS a limit to the Fett knowledge in the universe and unless we do expand, the Dented Helmet has a limited life expectancy. And as for sticking to what we do best...well I would venture to say that what we do best is run and manage the best Star Wars costuming site that is on the internet so I would say that is EXACTLY what we are doing.

Because I don't click each section
i click the "new posts " button
Must suck to have to sift through all the Jango, Dented Variant, Zam, and Other Star Wars posts :facepalm How do you ever do it?

I hope my post earlier didnt come off as negative in any way. I personally dont really mind the Clones being added. It could be decided either way and I wouldnt be affected as I dont have a clone suit :)

I guess my perspective is of that of a Graphic Artist, which gives me a bit of a different view of branding, names, etc. than most people. I find myself thinking too far into things like that sometimes. The majority of people wouldnt analyze the website name vs. the exact content like I would.

My post earlier was more just me throwing out a different point of view than anything. I dont mind the clones being around. It will give me more reading material after Ive read all the new Fett posts each time I visit :p

Lol - Ya know I luv this board :D, just a difference of opinion on direction that's all.

I'll still be lurking around here. Nothing's gonna change that...

Well, I guess I will add a little of the GILMORE flavor to this sweet melting pot of Lucasfilm love sauce. LOL.

I think the addition of the clones section is a great advancement for TDH. As I too can understand the negative feeling toward the "necessity" of it on a predominantly Boba Fett forum, we can simply see that it is merely a Sub Forum. For the love of Lucas people, we have 5 subforums simply made for the singular pieces of Boba Fett!!

So lets hypothesize, and turn on the "Flux Capacitor" and travel into the future and see what could become of the new addition.

Worst Case Scenario:

The Clone Forum becomes so active, that a sister site is linked onto TDH homepage and a new flourishing clone entity sweeps the internet by storm, and becomes yet another media beacon for The Dented Helmet Inc.!! HOLY JEE GATS ON KERPLUNKING ALUMINUM BATMAN!!

So, now, lets digress. Let's say, the Clone Forum gets some activity that becomes mainly a forum where people now and then discuss the validity of paint schemes, different suit styles, weaponary, and background nostalgia of the clones from epi 2 and 3. Whats the deal? So now when you hit the new posts button, you have to wade through a few more posts. But thats the great thing about it. I mean honestly, how many of us Fett builders, on a regular basis, check the Zam forum? How many of us check the Jango forum? And the Custom Characters/EU forum?

Now how many of you first thing you read is the Sarlacc? or the Cargo Hold?

So now that you have answered that, is it really a big deal if you scroll past one more forum that you yourself arent going to read to get to the Cargo Hold?

The Dented Helmet is known for 3 things in cyberspace.

1: THE DEFINITIVE Boba Fett Costuming resource library...period.

2: The easiest going board without (atleast too much) bickering/drama, politics, noob bashing, or mod interference (i know some boards whose mods are jerkish Nazi's who will ban you for looking at your PM Send button wrong)

and lastly 3: The family atmosphere. We ARE a family here. I have some of my best friends, ones I would honestly take a bullet for anytime, that i have met right here on this forum. That is no lie, people are enticed by our lovely forum because of the friendly atmosphere and the welcome arms we offer everyone. So now, why not let the clones join in?

......and I need to go to bed now, enjoy, Fett Bless!

3: The family atmosphere. We ARE a family here. I have some of my best friends, ones I would honestly take a bullet for anytime, that i have met right here on this forum. That is no lie, people are enticed by our lovely forum because of the friendly atmosphere and the welcome arms we offer everyone. So now, why not let the clones join in?

......and I need to go to bed now, enjoy, Fett Bless!

I guess that's my biggest issue actually. We are a family of like minded individuals, and this is how a community grows. By opening it up, to clones at first, and (let's face it) others in time, it will water it down.

Eventually "family" will end up being that second cousin twice removed that married his sister, and the uncle that is missing his teeth and has the life sized doll collection ("we just don't invite him to reunions anymore").

My "new coke" reference was not made lightly. Brand extension can sometimes be a good thing, or it can kill you. When it is not well thought out you will alienate your loyal customers and be left with those who are fickle and will leave when they come across something else new.

I don't believe Fett has been played out frankly. Over the last 6 months many new discoveries were made. A great discussion just came up about the rocket in fact...

I love clones, was even building one of my own. But there are no discoveries to be made about them. No mystery as to how they were built, no puzzles to solve, no interesting stories surrounding the design, no anecdotal tales from those who wore the suits. So basically we just have build threads.

What I love about TDH, besides the family, is the journey of discovery. The discussions with Jeremy, the excitement that comes when a new part is found.

Perhaps that is the best definition of family -a shared journey. None of that exists with clones.

Anyway, 'nuff said...

But exactly my point....so if characters here, first began as a subforum on TDH, branched out as independent sites thereafter, why would it be watered down? So one forum, that is added, is then removed, and maybe even replaced by another subforum.

In retrospect, with the Jango forum, We could probably branch off it as a seperate website known as The Silver Helmet.

It just doesnt seem like the inbred-ness that seems implied. I see it as a new way to branch out to a new realm of costumers. Yes, I understand there are 2 other clone sites, but honestly, have you been to clonetroopers.net? I tried to help Art in researching his mystery clones lineage....they have NO photographical help to distinguish which clone regiment is which, just text stating a brand of rattle can color. I mean, sooner or later, Boba will reach full completion and we will have proven all pieces as found parts and there will be nothing left to devulge information wise

Oh, and Art...Maybe if the clones attack Buenos Aires, we could form another Sub Forum....

bwhahaha....

"would you like to know more?"

Must suck to have to sift through all the Jango, Dented Variant, Zam, and Other Star Wars posts :facepalm How do you ever do it?

It is quite a chore.
The Variants are the easiest, as most of the titles & authors have some made up names that are easily recognizable as Custom mando. So i can just skip over them.
The Zam section doesn't get many posts (comparitively) since there are so few chicks that costume
Ido catch a few of the Jango ones, but i don't really mind too much.
Thanx for asking.

you know its much easier just to skip all those forums that you dont wanna read, by just checkin the new posts icon on the left of each forum. Then when you click on it, the topics with new posts are bold highlight. Then if it is a topic you are interested in, you can see the new posts, that way you dont have to read like 100 new posts that you dont wanna read.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back