weathering a MR. helmet

thundrkiss

Active Hunter
hey gang,

I'm looking at my MR. helmet and I want to somehow weather it to loose that factory finish if you know what I mean. Has anyone tried this yet? :confused

I was thinking of trying some dull coat with minimal speckles of brown and charcoal while I have the lense out for replacement..

Well, I think there's already quite a bit of speckling on the MR helmet.
You could try the dullcoat technique. If you have an airbrush, you could try using some Polly Scale clear flat. It does a nice job of "fading" the colors just a bit.

I gave mine a few washes of different degrees of black and grays. Works wonders. Also try doing washes with corn starch mixed in the paint to get a really dull look. Then go back and randomly rub out some of the dullness to break up the specular properties of the overall sheen. I also added in silver scratches that are largely missing from the detail of the paintjob. That also makes a big difference.

"Detail builds character" -Stuart Freeborn

I would try a VERY light brushing with some very fine wire wool it will help loose the 'sheen' of the factory colors and blend everything in a little more

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back