INTEREST MPP Tube Copys

BobaFettSlave1

Active Hunter
well as luck would have it i just found out my neighbor owns a machinist shop. i was just talking to him & he says that he has the equipment to make these. he didn't give me a price quote yet (partially as we were talking outside & its freezing out) so i wanted to make sure there's interest in copy's of MPP tubes.
here are the things ya gotta decide on if you are interested.

1 if you want the threaded end on the back of the tube. ya don't need it and not having it should cut costs. ill tally up the votes in a week or so on weather they will have threaded ends or not.

the 2nd & probably the most important thing is weather these will have a Chrome or Nickle Finnish. Chrome is more accurate but guaranteed to be on the expensive side. Nickle is a cheaper alternative. it doesn't look as grand as Chrome but is the next best thing if your looking to cut costs. again ill tally up the votes to what end. the reason Chroming is so expensive is that the byproduct of Chroming is very harmful & expensive to get rid of. i need to get my vintage MPP re chromed so ill be talking to chroming places anyway. if we have enough tubes being done it should cost less individualy for the chroming if we do that, the more people we get the lower the chroming cost should be for each tube

Interest List
1.FlukeStarbucker
2.vadr_h8r
3.shabad
4.SEEKER
5.Galactic Bounty Hunter
6.Peregrinus
7.godaking
8.dankenman
9.TR 4059
10.Darth_Nickel
11.Spideyfett
12.BOBA PHAT
13.escho34
14.stellardude
15.SlabFett
16.ilikebmxbikes

tube.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy almost the exact tube in the plumbing section of the hardware stores /lowes/home depot.

Same exact diameter at least to the highland.

if he can machine them without nocking off the finish, youd be golden. Thats what i was planning to do.

They are $7 a piece. They are pre-threaded. Which for me was good. I was going to make thread in stand to use in the cnc machine. That way the magnet could lock it down, line it up and wham wham wham cnc'd in about 10 seconds.

I hope that helps;)
m2

only issue with that is even if he would be able to cut the holes without knocking off the chrome the brass would be visible in the holes them selves. in order to get a true replica they would need to be chromed after cutting, like the real deal was. another problem is the engraved letters B,E,S,E. they are deep in the tube. these would also need re-chroming but that all depends on how accurate you guys want these.
again this project hinges on the amount of interest it gets and how you guys prefer these are done, so it is up to you guys

I'm certain that I will get beat down by most of the members here for saying this, but I would be happy with one of the tubes that has the brass showing thru a little. I know that would not be uber-accurate but I am on a budget.....................sorry ya'll but that's my vote/2 cents. Mark me down as interested please.

im with fluke! I just want one that looks "good enough" I got a budgetfett kit ordered so I need something passable for it so mark me down for the cheaper one!

I'm interested. I would want it to be as accurate as possible. Not with unlimited cost of course but there doesn't seem like much point upgrading from the standard stand-in Heiland 2 cell if it isn't going to be an accurate MPP replica, at least as far as is seen exposed on the blaster.

I'd be in if these would be a "very close" replica to the original... that being

1. Correct Diameter & Length
2. Letters stamped into surface
3. Correct Hole Pattern
4. Chrome Finish

Even if it's weathered, there's still areas where the chrome surface is revealed! Also, there are plenty of "kinda' close or somewhat close" alternatives already out there, if another interest or run thread is started, let's shoot for the moon guys! (y)

THX

:cheers

Also interested. And I'll cast my vote for "exact duplicate", as well. :) Let us know when you begin to have a ballpark on how much they'll be. :D

--Jonah

I'm interested, but only for accurate tube. I like my heiland as a "good enough" tube, so my vote would be for as accurate as possible. Maybe do two runs: an accurate tube that cost isn't a factor, and a budget tube?

3. Correct Hole Pattern
4. Chrome Finish

1 is easy
3 easy
4 easy

but 2, is gonna be rough:)

You cant cnc it in, because of the chrome. So it would have to be stamped or cnc'd pre chrome which will add a lot of cost.

3. Correct Hole Pattern
4. Chrome Finish

1 is easy
3 easy
4 easy

but 2, is gonna be rough:)

You cant cnc it in, because of the chrome. So it would have to be stamped or cnc'd pre chrome which will add a lot of cost.

Hey Mike, I think you're thinking of the Heiland stamped letters, which is a "close" cousin to the MPP tube and what most people use because the MPP is very hard to find and Not cheap... the MPP has no stamped lettering, only markings were the "MicroFlash" plate logo has been removed. (y)...

I have a really good reproduction that I can get my hands on and take some pics, done by Park Sabers I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mike, I think you're thinking of the Heiland stamped letters, which is a "close" cousin to the MPP tube and what most people use because the MPP is very hard to find and Not cheap... the MPP has no stamped lettering, only markings were the "MicroFlash" plate logo has been removed. (y)...

I have a really good reproduction that I can get my hands on and take some pics, done by Park Sabers I think.

Admittedly I havent seen one. I was commenting on GBH's post saying hed be interested if it had the stamped letters. I honestly have never seen one, so yah, i dont know what im talking about:)

I was just stating of the 4 things he listed, 3 were easy:)

Im surprised really there arent more copies. it doesnt seem like a difficult thing to replicate.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back