Django's Custom Mando.--Update November 1st, 2010

Django

Jr Hunter
2-2-2009
Well,.. after seeing TDH forums and seeing all of the great suits, I've been inspired to make my own mando armor. I originally planned to do a Jango Fett suit, but after thinking it over, I believe something more "individual" would be better and easier.

I thought over about a dozen different versions/color schemes. Scuba Mando, Supertrooper II, Ghillie Mando, Jedi Hunter, Pilot Mando, and even Gladiator Mando. Lots of ideas that just didnt work out didnt really make sense, or were just too complex for me to build with any quality at my current budget. Well, finally I came up with a heavy assault armor idea.

Its just a quick drawing. I didn't include any of the small details that really give a costume character. The paint job, weathering, decals, and other details will be added as the suit is built. Cape, kama, jet pack, backpiece, sash, etc have all been thought out and there will be more soft parts as it progresses.

Also, I decided to not include the detailed drawings of the helm or the armor's primary weapon. I think I'll save those for later. The helm design I gave in mind will be a classic mando influenced bucket with minor additions.

heavy1.jpg

and I know it looks like a black and green scheme, but Its not. The darn brass colored pencils just look green in this scan. The basic plate color is a hammered gold or brass color. So,.. does this design offend any standard custom mando rules? Give a guy a clue.

I've already got the chest pieces cut out, sanded, and painted. The shoulder pieces and the vest is next on my list to get to work on. I'll post more pics as soon as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually really like that green. In fact maybe a green wash over the brass would give a really nice effect. I like the idea of the crossed holsters and the wookie bandolier is a nice touch too. :)

I like the traditional shoulder bell and the SWG style shoulder bell. Thats a nice contrast!

Looks Awesome!!! I like the SWG shoulder bell!!! Is that a tiny mythosaur skull on the belt???

SinisterFett: I really considered the Green/Black color scheme too, but finally opted for the brass. If this suit works out well, I'm considering a digital camo paint scheme for my next set of plates. Kind of like the clone scout trooper armor (below). Thanks for noticing the bandolier and the crossed holsters :D. I wanted a bit of the "gunslinger" look on my suit.

Clone_Scout_Trooper_01.jpg

NovallTalon: I'm glad you liked the differing shoulder bell styles! I wanted my armor to look a slight bit heavier than standard mando armor and I like the asymmetrical look. Kinda makes it stand out I think.

A'den Kyramud: Yes that IS a tiny mythosaur skull! I'm going to try to make a pair of small, steel belt buckles to put on my gunbelts and will try to paint the mythosaur skull on each!

Thanks for the compliments guys. :D
The friendly atmosphere of TDH is a breath or fresh air and also very helpful. I'm VERY glad you liked my concept idea. I'm really hopin to impress you guys when I get around to building the primary weapon!

PROGRESS: Last night I stayed up late, watching Episode II again, finishing up the final base paint touches on the chest piece, and eating cheetos.

Today, I ran to a local "bargain shack" and went shoppin for some material. I found some really nice black "pleather" that will contrast nicely with my armor and not blend too well with my black jumpsuit. I took a couple pics of progress and my materials.

tempsonplastic.jpg

(WOF jango templates, sized just a hair wider for my broader chest, pasted on a cheap sterilite storage tub lid. I cut the shapes out with nippers and then sanded them to clean up the edges.)

platesonleather2.jpg

(I really like the textured look of the "hammered gold" spray paint I used. It goes nicely with the pebbley texture of the pleather. I'm going to imagine the pleather is Dewback or Rancor hide of some subspecies. :p )

Once again, thanks for all the great comments! I'll try to get the flak jacket and the shoulder bells done in the next couple of days!

:cheers

Man, thats pretty cool! The "hammered" thing give the armor a nice uniqueness, not to metion it's amazing! Keep it up :D

Just remember with the pleather that is DOES NOT stretch AT ALL. I did a pleather vest for my custom mando, and had a rather difficult time getting it to fit.

Looks awesome!!!
Keep up the great work!!!(y)
A'den

i'll try to keep that in mind. I've been making sure to give it a bit of extra space to make sure it doesnt get to tight on me. thanks

I like your concept drawing. Looks like the chest pieces are coming along nicely. I am interested in doing some weathering experiments with the hammered look paint. I purchased a few types but have not got around to it yet. Are you going to leave this new looking, or beat it up and get it dirty? I really like the shoulder bells that are different, because I also like the asymmetrical look. Welcome to TDH by the way.

dankenman : I'm going to dirty it up a little. Mostly just a few dents and scratches, with some minor smudges, burns, stains. I'm also going to add more colors, decals, symbols, etc.

and thank you for the welcome! :)

Just remember when weathering that brass turns green when exposed to air. So would be cool to have a few oxidised spots here and there :)

I didn't want you guys to think I have forgotten about you! I've been a broke, starving actor lately, so not much budget to raid the arts and crafts stores or walmart for materials.

However, I did cannibalize an old trash can and make some the thigh plates for my suit!

picsrandom040.jpg

I was kinda bored and decided to experiment with some battle damage work.

picsrandom042.jpg

(ewoks, man,.. they're brutal.)

picsrandom044.jpg

Abdomen plate is now a bit worn out and damaged looking.

picsrandom045.jpg

My flak vest and shoulder bells are almost done, but I'm waiting to show them.

Cant wait to get the suit finished!

also,.. im takin a vote. what would look cooler? the crisscrossed double holsters like in my concept drawing OR if i built a han solo style gunbelt and just made it a double holster rig?

also,.. you guys think I should make my ammo belt/pouches out of brown or black leather?

just a few small decisions im pondering.

peace, everyone!

What color is your flight suit gonna be? Black? I dunno. Do what you want. I have a mix and match lol. I used black belts to hold my armor on and brown belts around my waist and holding up my kama, as well as a OD green web belt in place of a girth, all on a sage green flight suit. So go crazy!
I'm interested in seeing how you're gonna pull of the digicam. Are you gonna use ACU(army) or MARPAT(USMC) or maybe even the ABU(AF) style?

Oh and good luck finding some work! I know how much it sucks to be an actor sometimes. Luckly I'm still in collage so if I don't get into a play i'm not out of a job. Its fun though! Whats your favorite style to do? sorry, getting a little of topic lol.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back