For real??

99centTaco

Active Hunter
OK I just got back from checking out a new apartment place. I really like it alot but after doing the app I was denied. The reason why.... I'm self employed. Everything is fine its just that...

I explained that I make more money now than I ever have working at a full time job. I make leather items for the Alamo and San Antonio Missions and some other contract jobs. Along with what I do online. And I can show proof.

I asked, "ok, so what do I need to do so that I can qualify?

She said, in a very calm way " Uh..first you need to get a real job. Then hold it for at least two years and then come back."..

????????????????????

I just sat there with with a puzzled look on my face....
I than asked what if I gave 6 months of rent up front?
She looked at me weird and said "Get a job first."

???????

I guess money doesn't talk anymore???:confused

That is crazy. Many people (including myself) are self employed. Even more so now with the state of the economy. If you have proof of steady income, and a large enough income to pay the rent, then there should be no reason for them to deny you.

wow...i guess the whole idea of a "pay stub" has alot of bearing...have you tried maybe buying your own home? 6 months of rent would make a great down payment...:)

I would contact the local Housing Authority immediatley. That's a form of discrimination. On the most extreme level, she could have asked for 2 years tax returns to verify income.

Exactly! I didn't want to jump the gun but I thought I might have been discriminated. I think the only other thing that might have hurt was that I had closed my bank account with my old bank Washington Mutual last Nov, because they accidentally misplace alot of my money, I got it all worked out about a week later but didn't like the way they handled it. So I closed the account and just haven't had the time to get a new account at another bank. And with all the news going on about banks in trouble its kinda hard to make a decision on where to go next. But she didn't mention anything about it.

Maybe its a blessing in disguise, If they act like that before you move in what do you think it would be like living there :angry, my advice would be to say see you later sucka and find something else.

"get a real job"?

Geez, has this woman no idea that approximately 28% or more of the US population are (gainfully) self employed?

So, self employment is not a "real job", given the millions of US citizens that do the same?

IMHO, she better check herself at the door, or else she may wind up looking at being "self employed" herself in short order...

Yooks, you don't know Bernie Madoff do you?

"You know Bernie Madoff?"
"Yeah, he got my cash and Made Off with it..."

I know how you feel mate.

I'm self employed and got the same treatment. I offered to pay 6 - 8 mths in advance but they still wanted to look at my bank statements!8)

I told them that is an invasion of privacy and discrimination and I would be contacting our ombudsman. They didn't like that and asked what I did for a crust and I calmly looked at them and said "I watch and record people committing offenses for a living" PI. ha ha ha it was priceless. The next day we received a call from them ......... the house was ours!;)

Yeah, that's a clear form of discrimination against you, Taco, and I'm pretty sure you can fight that and have a good shot at winning. Whistle8mp had a great comment though-you have to consider a future of dealing with that kind of person if you did get that apartment.

My brother had a 750+ credit score and 20+ grand in his bank account. He was still denied a loan for a home because he was self employed. Three banks later, he finally got approved! Fettdad is right. You may have personal reasons for going into an apartment, but a home may be the way to go at this time. Good luck, man!

Why should it matter what kind of job you have? A job is a job and if he can clearly afford the apartment what would be the big deal? Why are so many against self employed workers?

I hope it works out for you Taco

El1te

Of course there's nothing wrong with being self-employed. But like it or not, for realtors and prospective employers, there is a negative connotation to the term "self-employed". People tend to equate 'self-employment' with unemployment. It's also a term they hear used often by people who are unemployed.

It's better to say something like "I run my own business, here's the name, I provide this service, I manage all the finances, etc; I'm the proprietor/general manager" I bet if you can add to the conversation by mentioning how you handle the taxes associated with running your own business, or how you do most of your business over the internet so you don't need a store front, etc., you may be better received by potential property management places or landlords.

Good luck! :cheers

I really don't get it either. I never thought about just getting a house. I figured, if I can't get an apartment, how in the heck am I gonna get a house. A house would be much better though. I could turn the garage into a shop.

I really don't get it either. I never thought about just getting a house. I figured, if I can't get an apartment, how in the heck am I gonna get a house. A house would be much better though. I could turn the garage into a shop.

Do you have a business acount with your bank such as a DBA or self proprietor and if not then you should do it as well as getting some kind of commercial umbrella insurance policy for your business. Just my 0.2

Yeah I might have to... Looks like I gotta do some upgrades to my business

Oh and I forgot who pmed me but what I do for the Alamo here in SA is alittle bit of restoring some of the original items there. Kinda like restoring them alittle so they last longer.

you should probably think about forming an s corp for your business. It's technically not much different than self-employment, but looks totally different on paper to creditors, and prospective landlords (a woman such as you described would be blown away in a dizzy stupor of awe). Ask your accountant about it. I also second the recommendation to report your experience to the Housing Authority. Your experience is outrageous.

wow,thats....yeah im sure we're all thinking the same words. what a crazy freaking place the world has become,get a real job? does landlord even count as a real job? i agree with,uh everyone report her and your experiance.the customer is always right!!!

on a side note,karma. what goes around comes around...... hope she knows that.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back