My Han In Carbonite Project

Raijlin

New Hunter
Well, I have been doing a lot of poking around here and on the RPF getting different concepts from various builders. I wanted to take a moment to thank azheat, VashDstampede, and Fetthunter for their guidance. My goal is to produce the initial prop for under $300.

I was inspired by the HIC Desk that was made by Tom and Richard. Looking at the high quality of their work, but not the cashflow to afford something of that caliber, I began to have additional thoughts. I'm looking at the possibility of creating it as a desk also with some changes.

The panels on the side where the chair will go will be functional drawers with the panel being the facia. I figured it made sense since they were there to have them functional.

I am also attempting to work with a friend on ideas utilizing acrylic as the base of the desk to give the illusion of HIC hovering (similar to when Boba Fett is transporting him to Slave I in ESB). A friend I've talked to stated that is a unique take on it and will try to give me guidance so it's done right.

Thus far, I have just been gathering some of the parts:

Solo Face: $48 from Fetthunter
Posable Hands: $39 from Bargainboy's Buy-Outs (Ebay)http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290281383149
Upper Torso: $28 from Displayforms (Ebay) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200154045943

I hope to be able to create something that meets up to the expectations that many of the builders have done before me. I'll post progress reports here, and I would love any kind of input/advice from the veteran HIC builders. :)

HICFace.jpg
UpperTorso.jpg
PosableHands.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet man! I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I've seen a lot of people using latex paints on pants to make them rigid enough to hold creases and pose them like Han's. Can't wait to see your progress man!

how do i contact fetthunter. i've been wanting to start this project as well, and fetthunters cast looks good. there have been a couple heads on ebay, and the one that continues to show up their, is only like the front have of the face. the one fetthunter casted is the one i need. can someone put me in touch with him, i need to buy this cast today!

Thanks for the info on the hands. I have been looking for a right and left set everywhere. I wonder if regular spray paint will stick to the latex hands or do you have to use a special paint? I haven't started my HIC because of not being able to get hands that I think will work.

I haven't started yet either, but I bought instamold and plaster of paris from AC Moore arts/craft store. The instamold powder mixes with water to make a temporary mold. You then immerse your hand/wrist into the container filled with the instamold. And after several minutes of holding a pose, you remove your hand and pour the plaster mixture in. Then I believe you wait for 24 hours for the plaster to set and remove the instamold from the plaster casting. My hands aren't the correct size to do this so i'll have to volunteer my dad. I was just kinda iffy on the whole plastic hand deal. After seeing the results of previous attempts at making an HIC. It just seems that the detail of the hands need to be as realistic as possible to equal the detail of the han solo(harrison ford) lifecast or it just doesn't look right.

The plaster will work but I am afraid that the hands might be to fagile. I want to make sure if someone touches the HIC that I won't worry about breakage. Hydrocal is a stronger type of plaster.

I'm starting a new project HIC this year too.Can't have Boba Fett without his priced bounty.I started with contacting fetthunter & he has the mask available.Need info though...what is the actual dimension of HIC,the height,width,etc...??

That's how I would make a HIC too by using a half torso for the body. Can't wait to see your WIP pics! Thanks for the vendor links!

I wanted to give you guys some more links. I wasn't able to utilize the first gentleman's service because I already purchased my upper torso, hands, and Fetthunter face. (Personally, with the quality of Fetthunters face, and the challenge ahead of me of making it from scratch, I'm looking forward to doing it my way.) :)

There is gentleman on RPF that is making the frontal bodyparts for the HIC: 1 face, 2 hands, 1 torso, 1 legs, 2 feet

He is doing this for $200 and he states:

"... it is not from a Illusive Concepts model. this is a beautiful life size sculpt of the front with a cast of the original head put in. made in resin that is incredibly tough. you cant even tell it from the IC one."

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=57239

So just wanted to throw that out there for anyone that might find use of it.

Also, fetthunter, azheat, and I are on the waiting list for vashdstampede over at the RPF for some REALLY nice side panels that he is doing.

$250 and he is going to be making some (if not all) hollow for electronics/portability purposes for people in the 501st that carry their HIC.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=56754

Does anyone have a tutorial for making the side panels? Or at least how to go about scratchbuilding with styrene.

I though someone on one of the boards was going to be doing runs or a rubber type front panel that could be rolled up and shipped in tubes. Anyone seen it, or remember what Star Wars board that post was from??....e-mail me please!

Well, it's been a hectic month. I've had bronchitis for over 4 weeks. Finally am kicking it out of the system after I told the doctor I needed something stronger since I have obstructive lung disease from the Marine Corps. He finally listened and put me on two steroids and a different antibiotic. 3-4 days later, BAM, it's nearly cleared my system. LOL...

Well, the project had to be delayed slightly cause we moved into a new house. Been spending time trying to get my office to not look like a war zone, plus repaint it. (Ugh, lavendar/purplish color!!! Decided to go with a light grey...so it was more star wars themed.)

My wife did come up with a better idea however for the design of the cabinet (mostly because I think she was afraid of being the one to help me move it...LOL).

Originally, I had planned on making the entire cabinet and carbonite fascia with Han body parts all one piece, utilizing the 1/2 ply for the sides and the top, and using a 2x2 frame. I needed the extra support so the weight of anything on the desk would be supported adequately.

She mentioned about possibly making it in pieces, to control the weight and also make it more managable while moving it. So I went back to the drawing board and designed it so that the Han Fascia will be a separate piece that will actually slide into the cabinet and stay on some support crosses. This should cut the weight down significantly and make it more managable.

She actually had another idea and I'm thinking of going to Western Carolina University (my college) and seeing if they could do it. She had the idea of getting the cabinet to be vacuum-formed plastic, similar to the children's Race Car Beds, Fire Truck Beds, etc. you see for sale. They have the boards that simply slide into them and are strong (my son had one and it was strong enough to support my weight.)

I told her the only question would be the matter of cost. I can only imagine plastic thick enough to equate to those car beds, plus the fee to get it done, would probably be high.

The plus side would be, I would already have the drawer mounts sculpted into it and the HIC Fascia could then slide in easily. So, it won't hurt to ask the college to see if they can do it without it costing an arm and a leg.

Well, with the Easter vacation starting on Wednesday, it allowed me to catch up on the office and begin the Han In Carbonite project. I was finally able to finish painting the office, so I put that hassle behind me.

I had been contemplating purchasing a table saw for the last couple of weeks and after researching what I would need and getting the most bang for my buck, I ended up purchasing the Skil 3400-12 Table Saw from Lowe's on Wednesday. Had the thing put together and adjusted in about an hour and a half, and I must say I'm quite impressed. I was able to get it marked down from $169.99 to $143, plus I had a 10% discount coupon from when I moved to the new house. In the end, I ended up paying around $138, so I can't complain.

April 9, 2009

Today, I can finally say that I have officially begun building the HIC Desk. Everything went mostly smoothly. I remembered much from my shop class in 9th grade (yeah, about a decade and a half ago since I've had to use a table saw) and was able to finish contructing the top portion of the frame. I must say that I am very pleased with the idea my wife came up with having the Han portion of the top actually sit on a different piece that would slide into the frame. This will make things much smoother.

Pic of my new baby and the shorter 2x2s of the frame:
TrimmingPainted001.jpg

The work bench, the long 2x2s, and the saw again:
TrimmingPainted002.jpg

The top frame put together:
TrimmingPainted003.jpg

Close up showing where the top facia will slip into the frame:
TrimmingPainted004.jpg

One of the 2x4s was slightly torqued, even after I ripped it down to a 2x2. So, using some cinder blocks, hopefully things will straighten out over night:
TrimmingPainted005.jpg

Had to put the kids in bed. Good thing I will have Friday and Saturday. I'm hoping to have the entire frame done by the end of the weekend. We shall see. :D

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back