Captain Rex Rangefinder and stalk

jedi si

New Hunter
Hi guys, I'm doing A Capt' Rex lid and was wondering about the stalk and Rangefinder, I saw somewhere that the RF should not be a Boba copy one, is that right as it looks similar if not correct on the few lids I've seen
Also I've seen that the stalk is just screwed in the side of the lid, is this correct? or would/should it have a cap like the Fetts?
As a last question regarding the visor, as you may know the visor carries on down to replace the "teeth" part of the lid, so could someone shout out what I need, would it be a welders type visor or just plastic sheet heated to fit, I'm new to clones as you can tell,
thanks, Si (y)

Go and have a look at www.clonetroopers.net !

The stalk is 'screwed to the side '

there are not many people that have made a 'cartoon-style' helmet yet ,so the visor option that you talk about is fairly new.

My best option would be : clear acrylic with a glue - on car window tint sheet.

Rex's RF topper is distinctly different than Boba's, as is the stalk.

3133595932_3bb9380877_o.jpg

Look at the part of the topper to the left of the stalk... see the extra details? No LEDs on the top, and the right side of it is much slimmer than Boba's - like a Boba topper with the clear part removed.

The stalk doesn't have the T shape at the top to mount the topper... it just goes straight up into the topper.

I have better screencaps at home, but haven't put them online anywhere... if you look around you'll probably find some.

I used a Boba for the base of mine, then resculpted with epoxy putty to get it where I wanted it:

3133534208_eb75f45f5d.jpg

Here's a couple of snapshots from episode 14, the 1st one is a little dark but gives you an idea, the other is a good one looking at Rex with the RF down.
f49f7a38.jpg

8a27cb7c.jpg

This is proving to be a trick to get right for me as well.
I'm also investigating ways to control it by remote, possibly with a circuit board set up in a pistol and the reciever in the helmet.

Bare in mind though that that version of the RF topper could be viewed as being much stylised as the rest of The Clone Wars Clonetrooper armour is compaired to the live action film Clonetroopers.

If you are doing an accurate "toon" style Rex like Stormtrooperguy, then yes; you need that topper as seen above. If however you are making a "real world" interpretation such as I am, then I'm not so sure that a screen seen Fett RF topper is so wrong.

Stormtrooperguy, please let me know once you've got your revisions completed as I'm going to pick up my helmet to start on my Rex next month. I can contact you on the Legion forums if that's preferable. ;)

well, my mold failed miserably last night (bad silicone i think), so i'll be in the basement working all night tonight. my plan is to pick away at the new RF topper while i'm waiting for layers of rubber to dry.

my wife will be so excited... she LOVES when i turn the paint room into a hot box with a space heater set to 80 for 5-6 hours ;)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back