Aurora (Helmet)***Update 3***

MegalomaniacalMandalore wrote:

HEY, WHO CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SUPERBOWL? WOOHOO! WE'RE GETTING A BIG FAT SANDWICH! WATCHING ON THE NEW WIDESCREEN! WOOHOO!
:cheers :cheers

Super bowl - is that something you eat a big breakfast out of? :wacko

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee

What can i say, your work is oustanding as always.

The pics speak for themselves & i cant wait to get my hands on the finished item. ;)

No only have i found the best person to paint my helmet but ive made good friend as well.

Nathan :)

Hey Lee the front of this helmet looks awesome as I and other members have already said but what about the back. Can you post any pics of the back so we can check out that too.

I have painted the back but I'm waiting on some more paint to arrive to confirm the color. I'll post pics of how it looks now but the color could be changing.

Lee

C17LM wrote:

I have painted the back but I'm waiting on some more paint to arrive to confirm the color. I'll post pics of how it looks now but the color could be changing.

Lee

the color on the back? post pics anyways :) this helmet just gets better and better and I can't wait to see the scratches on the back :)

I just wanted to chime in with my praise and awe. That's a great looking helmet, I can't wait to see it finished!

The secrecy is totally understandable. I'm under the impression that it was only a contractual obligation and also, as BB explained, designed to allow Lee a little pride when he is the first to debut a helmet with these colors.

As I understand it the colors will be shortly thereafter divulged and anyone can freely pursue them. Lee's consideration regarding his painting services will be just that, his services in applying these colors to your helmet. At that time, if I understand correctly, the colors will be public knowledge around here and if you think yourself capable of applying them better and/or more cheaply then you will be more than free to do so.

Personally, I know I can't give my new helmet the paint job it deserves. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread ;)

(thanks for the offer micke, ;) )

Phil

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I want to post some pics of other stuff I'm working on for the helmets but I'm low on webspace. I'm going to talk to Brak's about hosting a few pics for me and we'll see what I can get going.

Lee

Lee,you never answered my question about the color corresponding to all the ESB peices.I didn't think this applied to the actual color,but just how/where it was used,so I didn't think the question was out of line. :)

Steve

Hey sorry about that I had to go back and re-read your post and I guess I forgot about you. To be honest I haven't researched the ESB gauntlets and jet pack they do appear to be a different color to me but that is a guess if you have any good pictures of either please send them to me and I'll get to work on it. Most of the information on the suit was provided to me in piece meal and I had to come up with the filler. I'm working out a response for the colors as well so hang in there everyone I'm getting to it.

Okay, let it be known that I am NOT attacking C17LM in any way, shape or form. However, I have to agree with Slave on this. It just seems silly to me that paint color should be such a big secret. Someone said earlier to allow him a chance to take pride in what he'd done (I'm assuming because as soon as he releases the color info, we're all gonna copy away :)). But, I don't see how he's shorted. He's still the first to reveal the proper color scheme. Granted, I don't have a clue as to the terms of this "agreement" he made. But it just seems odd to me to post this while not being able to share. It just feels like a slap in the face to me - a sort of "ha, ha, look what I have and you don't." Why not wait until he could? I REALLY don't think we have to worry about paint prices skyrocketing because a few Fett nuts start buying it, especially if it's off the shelf.
I could NOT have made it as far as I have with my Jango without the help of this board. I mean, it's been one step forward, and three steps back with my costume making, simply because I keep seeing better ways to do things! :) When people start hording helpful info just so they can say "look at my cool stuff," and people give them kudos for it, it just bothers me. It's like the carrot on a string in front of the mule. It's just down right mean.
Your work is fantastic C17LM, and I praise your efforts. It's just too bad you can't share.
Okay folks ... flame away.

Heah guys take it easy. :lol:

The paint colours WILL be released once Lee has finished just as he as already said.

Look at it from his point of view.

He did all the background research on the paint & techniques used.

Spent a heck of a lot of cash on different shades of green, red etc just to find the exact match.

Then hes spent god alone knows how many hours practicing the technique he is now using to paint the helmets & the countless hours researching the paint scheme so that all of the colours go on in the correct order. Not all of them go on in the order you would expect.

If you had done all of that would you release the colours before youd finished. I dont think anyone here would, i know i wouldnt.

Look at this way we have all waited 20+ years to find out the real colours of Fetts helmet. A month or so more isnt going to kill us is it. :)

Even i dont know the colours yet, & one of the helmets being painted is mine. :lol:

Nathan

Um ... yeah, I WOULD, in fact, share the information regardless of how much work I had put into it. If someone asked, I would be happy to let them know, whether I was finished or not.
Your logic makes no sense to me. I thought this place was here to ask for and offer help.
I'm not saying he's not going to tell us. I'm just saying it makes NO sense whatsoever not to do so when people ask.
This whole "he's put so much work into it, I agree he shouldn't tell" stuff is garbage IMO. It's just selfish.
Whatever, I'm going to paint (or have someone paint) my helmet with, or without his colors. I just don't think it's right. I don't think I'm OWED anything, I just think posting your stuff, then not telling how you did it is a lousy thing to do. This is the first time I have EVER argued something on this board. One of my favorite things about this place was that people didn't come in with holier-than-thou attitudes. They were ALWAYS helpful and had kind words of encouragement for others - even if their stuff really didn't look all that great. That's why this bugs me so much. It's not that I really want his color scheme. I'm a Jango for Pete's sake. My wife's the Boba. I just think it's not cool at all to pull crap like this.
Again, I don't know what this arrangement of his was, but I wouldn't have made a deal like that. Sounds to me like the guy who had these colors originally is just plain selfish.
Okay, I guess I've ranted enough this time. I just don't understand how you people can defend this guy's actions. It boggles the mind.

Hi Soju

I really dont see anyone here with hoolier than though attitudes. We leave to the RPF.
Everyone ive had dealings with here have always been as helpful as they can.
Thats why i love this place, none of the politics that plague the RPF.

Lee is just protecting his work till hes finished.
Remember, this is a fun hobby. Its nice to work on a secret project & do something thats never been done before.
He has stated more than once he wil release the info once hes done, but he wants to finish what he started before releaseing it, whats wrong with that.
Patience you must learn patience. ;)

Lee isnt saying "ive got the colours & i aint telling Nah nah!!"

Hes saying " look guys ive discovered the right colours, im testing them out to make sure they are all correct then ill post the finidings for everyone to use."

Does that make sence now?

Nathan

I was going to post something very similar to what natty just posted. His was much nicer than mine so I'll let his speak for what I wanted to say. Patience please people.

Soju, I would disagree with you. And I think in due time, you will find Lee to be quite the opposite. You want see "holier-than-thou," there are some prime examples of that attitude on the RPF. And boy does it get my goat when people can't share for trivial or egomaniacal reasons. If I thought there was some high-falooting elitism here, I would be the first to call it. I really do not think that is the situation here.

Now I guess the source of most of the disgreement would be "why post when you can't share..." Well I am sure you can make arguments both ways, but I think the point of the post was get some excitement going. Sure, he could have waited until he completed the agreement and the helmets were completed to make the post, so that the colors could be revealed. However, I would much rather know the colors exisit earlier, so I could plan them into the painting of my helmet. I could have bought a bunch of paints, had it painted, blah blah, and suddenly I see a post showing me some very promising colors and it is back to square one.

I also think it is a moot point to debate the merit of the "arrangement." Yeah it is "bad" for us. We don't get the colors immediatly, and Buddah forbid, there is no instant gratification. But the deal was made, and we will still have the colors anyway.

I wasn't going to chime in on this thread but, I've been watching it and have had my opinion on it as well.

In my opinion anyway, it seems as though everything's gotten quite heated and perhaps blown a little bit out of proportion.

Patience . . . I think we all have patience, and we can wait. That's not necessarily the point though.

Whether it was intentional or not, and I'll choose to believe that it wasn't intentional, Lee's first posts came off to a lot of people with a holier than thou attitude. Some may not have read it that way, but there were a lot of people that did read it that way. Like I say, with a week's distance away from it all, I'll choose to believe that it wasn't intentional, but, that's how it came off. Then to top it all off, it seemed as though the people "defending" his posts were the ones getting their bucket's painted him. Whether the case or not, it gives off the impression of an elitist air. Which is something I don't think anyone wants.

But now, everyone's backs are up and it's going nowhere. Lee feels like he's being attacked, and a lot of the board is feeling like the spirit of the board isn't being followed.

I agree with Soju . . . this board is a great place to hang out with like minded people. We share our ideas, and everybody chimes in to try to make everybody's costume better. And, I think that TDH has done a fabulous job with that. That's why I think a lot of people here got really frustrated when someone seemed to be saying "I found the perfect paint, anyone can buy it in a store, and I'm not telling you what it is". It just seemed to go against everything TDH was here for. If we wanted to look at people's helmet's without sharing ideas, we can just go look through the member database at 501st.com.

And, I agree with Natty, TDH has almost always come through on being a helpful place to come. I specificially avoid RPF for the same reasons that Natty said.

My own opinions . . . well, I, like Soju, know myself that I've answered any question when asked, and almost everyone else I've ever asked for help, they've helped as well. I even put blueprints of my work up before I even had the first one off the line! :lol: I think that a lot of people have had that great experience here. And that's another reason that people's noses might have got a bit out of joint. It's not something we're used to here. Someone saying they have the answer, yet seemingly (at the time, that's how it seemed), unwilling to share. So, patience, that's fine, we can exercise patience. If for no other reason than we have no choice. :lol: Myself, I'm still going the custom mixed route so . . . take your time! :) hehehe

And the argument about paint being the same as the calc pad . . . I don't buy that for a second. You're talking about an object that's 25 years old and not readily available compared to a paint that's been said can be bought right off the shelf. But, that's my take on it, take it for what you will.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, is that it some really bad and cryptic wording has led to this, and both "sides" (for lack of a better word), have had their feelings hurt by this.

Lee, your paintjob is fantastic . . I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Simply stunning.

Let's leave the arguing to RPF! :)

Jer

Okay, well, thanks for trying to explain natty and tyler, but I still don't see it. I don't see any cockyness in his attitude. He seems like a really nice guy. I just don't understand this black project. It's blindingly obvious he has the colors right. Why not give others the opportunity to test this stuff themselves? Maybe they could even improve upon it.
I can't count how many times I've re-done something because someone found a better way. Who knows, maybe after you do buy all this guys paint, someone will come out with something better. Everyone here has agreed that a costume is never really finished. Why wait on this guy? He said he has been working on this thing for four months and he's only on step three out of ten! How long are you going to wait?
I'm obviously only making enemies here, so I too will not post again. I don't see it; I don't agree with it. 'Nough said.

Oh, and Ego ... well said.

Points well noted, Soju. And you do have a right to disagree. All I am saying is let's give the guy some time and patience to come through. I agree, hopefully it is not going to be an excessive amount of time.

Not making any enemies, Soju. People seem to have read the thread two different ways with different impressions. Let's just relax a bit and see how it all develops. :cheers

I would like to remind ourselves, and not lose sight of the fact, that we are ALL on the same "team" here. We revel in each others accomplishments, and empathize for other's failures. It is what sets this little community apart. Inasmuch, I don't feel as though either point of view to this subject is necessarily wrong. It is painfully obvious that our only source for deciding how we stand on the matter is our personal interpretation of the subject's presentation, and our even more personal interpretation of how we would react if the situations were reversed.

Being raised on John Wayne and Errol Flynn movies, I am very motivated by my personal code of honor. I have the utmost respect for anyone who could convince me of that same quality belonging to them. I will defend Lee's promise to the mystery agent with full determination.

What I do feel as far as the negative side to this, however, is the way the presentation came off. I, for one, would have been immeasurably excited if a post had been made to the nature of; "Hey, guys. I think I'm real close to figuring out the REAL color to the helmet. I'm still testing, so don't want to get too many hopes up. As soon as I can do so without looking stupid, I'll post pics. I'd really like to think that this is another step closer to fulfilling this board's goal in acheiving the best Fett possible." ...Done. That would have been a more agreeable delivery, in my humble opinion.

I will use myself as one example here, and also(hopefully he'll understand) HS.
HS ran an imressive running commentary on the manufacture of his helmet. He didn't seem to me to withhold anything. Took us into the bowels of the foundry itself. Showed step-by-step how he produces one of these treasures. He seems to me to have done the same with his weapon casts.
As for myself, and believe me, my stuff is junk as far as accuracy, I have explained and illustrated in pictures, the steps in making all I have of my costume so far. I have done so to hopefully disspell any myths as to the difficulty involved in the sewing or other techniques involved. Hopefully someone can see what I've done and make an even BETTER one than I did (wouldn't be hard). I have even run a tutorial showing how to shape metal. I've held nothing back.

Now, having said this, I would like to see anyone use their own home-foundry to cast themselves a decent helmet or weapon base. Or take my twenty years of experience and do what I have done with my vast collection of tools at my disposal.

My point here is this; Even if I KNEW the "secret-color-that-is-actually-no-secret", and applied it to my helmet in the best way I am capable of, it would still look like a lump of chicken poop that the white part has been carved away from leaving only the green. I don't have the talents necessary for painting well.

Lee is an accomplished and talented painter. He needn't fear anyone muscling-in on his action by equaling his talent. I think that divulging this paint thing would appease everyone concerned here. If not, I am convinced, I'm already seeing it, that many will lose interest and simply ignore or resent his awesome work farther down the road.

That's how my stick floats.

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back