My ESB Bucket paint-up 99.9%

Shinobi Fett

Active Hunter
Hey Folks!

Here are some pics of my bucket as it is done... besides the clear-coat, and one or two minor little fixes I notice now that I look at the pictures. :cry One important thing to note, the camera used here is a crummy little consumer point-n-shoot, so there's a "fish-eye" distortion going on that belies the true shape of the helmet. There's no focal length adjustment, so there's virtually no compensation for it. I'm going to take better pictures this weekend with a pro-level camera in natural lighting, so there's no "flash pollution" OK folks, let me have it! Be honest!

EDIT: I am remiss! Let me also thank and credit Lee Malone and Rogue Studios for the years of research into the paint colors and techniques. Bobamaker for his awesome RF piece. And both The Dented Helmet on another board without whose resources I could not have made this otherwise!

front.jpg

left side.jpg

right side.jpg

back.jpg

back 2.jpg

three-quarter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a small observation: is the R/H ear gold

No, and yes. Its a barely metallic brrassy color that was buffed out flatter. I painted that before I knew the "Earth" enamel color. From the movie and other ref photos, it always looks like worn brass to me, and I really liked the color it came out, even knowing its wrong. I'll probably repaint it anyway, but for now I'm happy. Thanks!

Just as a heads up Lee and Rouge Studios are the same person...

Yep! I know both of them! :lol: j/k! Yeah, just mentioned in reference to using the Rogue Studios Color list. I should have said "of Rogue Studios"

Nice lid bruv...
A couple of 'small' things? the right ear almost looks gold in colour? is this the flash or is it actually gold?
Also (you did ask me ;)) a couple of the positions of the weathering on the dome looks a little off... BUT!
a much much better lid than I can do! (y) well done bruv you should be proud... :)

Very few people actually know the true origin of the "cat scratch"... :lol:

Thanks Folks! A lot of work has gone into this thing, as everyone here knows how much labor this hobby is! Thanks VH, the stalk has a lot of rust speckles and "gunk" smears on it. I do want to tone down the look of it to a bit more subtle though. The lousy camera contrast is making it look a tad brighter than it truly appears.

cat scratch.jpg

wow! thanks! Yeah my Dad has a Canon 30D 12 mpx pro-level camera that I'm going to take photos in natural lighting without flash pollution. Maybe set up an indoor shoot with directed lighting, a makeshift studio set-up (Thanks Art for the tips) The thing that I really don't like about these pics is the fish-eye warping, it really distorts the look terribly. Of course, I decided I am going to re-paint the right ear (RF) anyway. Since I'm going for screen accuracy, I will bother me if I don't :lol:

A good camera can make all the difference in the world. My previous one would screw up anything in a low light situation unless it was on a tri-pod. My newer Nikon Coolpix S550 has proven pretty trusty even though I'm still figuring out all the features.

It is a sweet paint job by the way.

OK, back from still more re-paints, and re-works. I think I'm done! (Aside from attaching the MQ-1 board behind the keyslots) Here are some better quality pictures, in natural lighting. It's entirely possible I'll make some upgrades/modifications in the future, or get a better canvas. Either way here's what I got:

Front.jpg

angled_front.jpg

left_side.jpg

3quarter_left.jpg

Back.jpg

3quarter_back.jpg

right_side.jpg

RF_down.jpg

interior.jpg

That is looking very nice. What type of bucket is that?

Thanks a lot Slab! Thankfully you can hardly tell, but this bucket began life as a DP 99(ish) With MAJOR overhauls and fixing. Still, there are some inherent flaws in the structural composition. I think it came through nicely though.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back