METAL Helmet Scratchbuild....NEW pics UPDATE 1/19

Megalomaniac Mando

Active Hunter
Only roughed out so far. The crown is the GI helmet cut down, and the visor is aluminum plate. Still needs ALOT of filing/grinding. This is it so far. Updates every few days.
Crown_and_Visor_1.jpg

How doest that opening look? Is it close at least? I like it nonetheless, as I can see well from it. The vertical space is two inches wide, and the horizontal is one inch high.

Dang I hope ur cutting off the bottom cuz thats gonna be one skinny face :) Looks very nice though!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apollo has a good idea. I think the front is to long also but since your doin a custom it might be fine. Still MMM you should think ahead that with the visor that long your cheeks will look skinny too.

Stunning helmet anyway. Looks like it will be nice and sturdy.

Thanks, guys. I'm way ahead of the pack with those long visor pieces. I left them long to have something to clamp in the vice without marring the good parts, for when I give a bit of a twist to them. They will definitely be getting cut shorter. Sorry for not specifying that.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll work some more on it in the next day or two if not today. :)

MegalomaniacalMandalore wrote:

Thanks, guys. I'm way ahead of the pack with those long visor pieces. I left them long to have something to clamp in the vice without marring the good parts, for when I give a bit of a twist to them. They will definitely be getting cut shorter. Sorry for not specifying that.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll work some more on it in the next day or two if not today. :)

lol thats good... I was worried you were making a top hat or something ;)

MMM...that looks Shweeet!(y) I see what you were talking about now! I hope you put together a "how to" when your all done.

Looking fantastic! (y)

Couple of questions: How thick is the aluminium plate? Looks about 3mm? How are you planning to tackle the cheek indents?

Really great work so far and I can't wait to see your next post.

Here's a couple pics of this afternoon's work. I'm only concerned with establishing the shell at this point. Angles and trim/details will come later.

I'll be trying to shape the jowls like I did my armor; with a hammer. My goal is to avoid using Bondo as much as possible to shape them.

Here, the back has been installed. I will add (in addition to the jowls) trim under the future earpieces from the same stock as the visor.

The paint has been burned off with a mapp gas torch, and the resulting oxidation removed with naval jelly. I will sand later.

Helmet_Visor_n_Back_f.jpg
Helmet_Visor_n_Back_s.jpg

The visor plate stock is 5mm thick or 3/16 ".

Very cool - I've subscribed to this topic to make sure I don't miss any progress.

You'd be able to go jousting with that bucket on!

Steve

Thanks for the props, guys. I'll get some work done on the cheeks in a couple days. Have to catch-up on some other stuff.

Jousting? Hmmm.... :)

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back