Sci-Fire TDH Clone Trooper WIP

Not much of an update today, need to make a supply run to my local hobby store, Dave's Hobby Central so I can continue on the interior dressing and mechanics of the forearms. Heading out once I post this.

I painted the rightside halve of the left forearm last night. I still need to add "plastron" encased wires from the magnetic coupler to the Engery Sink. I decided for the time being to leave this particular halve cleanly painted, just to see if I like the vibe better. I may repaint the leftside half, then allow regular wear and usage create the appropiate scrapage, allowing the the undercolor (Tamiya Metal) to reveal itself naturally over time. I also re-aligned the top plastron wire on the leftside halve to run flush along top of the Engery sink, and there is still some clean up to do on the details.

This suit will be in fact magnetized:

100_2370.gif

100_2373.gif

100_2375.gif

100_2377.gif

100_2382.gif

100_2392.gif

You guys are awesome! I am thoroughly impressed. This thread is a ton of fun also.

moto_0043.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work Replicant! That Sci-Fire armor is niiiiice and I know what a stickler you are for details. Looking forward to more of your progress.

Thank you Jim! I hope all is well with you and the family!:)

Okay, this weekend I changed direction and did some work on the chest plate. When building armor, I have found that it's best to slowly bounce around, as a way of maintaining scale amongst the different parts. Contsructive A.D.D. lol!

Again, like I do with all the parts, I carefully penciled in my trim lines. This in itself took a few hours, and I in fact trimmed off as much of the excess plastic prior to setting my final trim lines, as it's a very slow process of balancing reference against your own physique. Let's face it, most of us know by now, that it has to be practical for real life usage. Striking that balance between practicallity over detail can be very ardous. In the case of clone armor, measure 10 times, trim once.....very carefully and slowly.

Once all the trimming was done, I cleaned up the freshly cut trim areas with 80 grit, then proceeded up the scale to 220, for a smooth, even finish. I then sanded the whole entire piece in 220 (with the chest breast line areas, I hit it hard with 120 grit first, to sharpen up the definition, then followed by 220grit)

Next: Shocking

In the images below, I am using a type of "shocking" treatment to conform the plastic to a desired form. This is the process of carefully using moderated heat to warm the plastic, setting the desired form, then dipping the heated plastic into ice water. Prior to heating, I use clear packing tape, taping the oppisite sides together, to "bring in" the sides of the chest armor, to a predetermined, desired setting. Next, I fill one side of the sink in very hot water*, the other side with ice cold water. Next, I take a blow dryer to the areas that require warming to soften up the plastic; then set the entire piece in the hot water. I left it in the hot water for about 10 mins, then quickly dipped the chest plate into the iced water.

*Use caution! Some plastics may warp when placed in hot water!! You may also injure yourself, so be very carefull!

In the case of this armor, the plastic is the toughest I have ever worked with. The pull is so tight, the plastic thickness is exact throughout. Incrediably tough. I had to repeat this particular treatment 3 times, and I may have to go out and buy a heat gun to accomplish the final end goal.

PLEASE BE ADIVSED that I am not done trimming the chestplate as ot yet. Still need to work on the the strap areas, plus need to process the backplate, before any finalized, permanant trimming:

Hot water in the left sink, ice cold on the right.

100_2434.gif

100_2442.gif

Initial dipping into the hot water. If you look closely, you can see the clear tape. The use of the clear tape allows for ease of visual monitering during the proceedure.
100_2441.gif

100_2435.gif

100_2437.gif

Well, I just realized I didn't take a picture of the part in the ice water:cry lol!
Here is the piece, after the process (conducted 3 times) I may need to do more aggressive shocking, but I will determine that once the backplate is trimmed, and I have I better idea of what I am against at that time:
100_2444.gif

100_2447.gif

100_2446.gif

100_2448.gif

100_2449.gif

100_2450.gif

100_2451.gif

100_2453.gif

100_2455.gif

100_2456.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome. I learned something today. Thanks dude.

Also, great job on trimming. One thing you may want to do...you may already be doing this... You can add a piece of 1/16" thick styrene to the back of the center line of the chest. I used a triangular file to define a sharp line into chest on mine. It makes a huge difference. Just a suggestion. I'll post a picture later.

Awesome RS! Looking good! I did something similar but faded all my lines into even the whole thing out. Next test fit, I'll show it. These Rigs are very detail oriented I'd have to agree. Thanks JB and Lewis!;)

jon

Thank you gentleman! Thank you all very much for your support and comments. Feel free anytime Cruzer, I can get it all trimmed up to your specs no problem sir!

That's awesome. I learned something today. Thanks dude.

Also, great job on trimming. One thing you may want to do...you may already be doing this... You can add a piece of 1/16" thick styrene to the back of the center line of the chest. I used a triangular file to define a sharp line into chest on mine. It makes a huge difference. Just a suggestion. I'll post a picture later.

This is what I did on my C6 chest, it makes a big difference.

yeah. I've never had to shrink my armor. I was left in the cloning device a little too long and grew a little bigger....ahem....has nothing to do with eating too much.
:p

John, to hear you talk about yourself, someone would expect you were a whale! While I sure wouldn't want to run into you in a dark alley, you aren't THAT big!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back