Scratch Build Jetpack (upd AUG 7th, 2010)

Re: Scratch Build Jetpack - sintra & WoF [updated]

Inspired by Ambu Fett's beautiful jet pack, I'm putting in as much time as I can to keep up :)

I destroyed part 8 today (first ring below the top) on accident.. :cry

But finished most of the other pieces of the grappling system. Here's all the pieces I have at the moment after filing and sanding them. When loosely stacked, it's really staring to look like something.

Constructive C&C's encouraged, but please be gentle :cheers

jp014.jpg

Thanx guys :)

Yes, it sure is a lot of work! However, the sintra is easier to work with than I expected. With patience, I have too much of it ;) and determination and no less than 5 smoothing treatments (rasp, file, 120 grain sandpaper, 250 grain sandpaper blok and 600 grain sandpaper) it does look good ^_^

@ Maycol: thank you for that compliment. But, you are so much better off when handing your money over to guys like, MoW, BF, AF, BM and the other pro jet pack makers I'm forgetting. I invest many hours cuz it's mine and my hobby.

Next up: grappling holder with no less than 18 'teeth' and its base.
Also, I need a hollow rangefinder to hold the circuitboard I bought from mrgr8ness. I have some 3mm transparent plexiglass laying around I can use for the view finder side. Let's see if I can get the same results making the RF from sintra...

QUESTion: does anybody have any pics or details of how the three hooks of the grappling system actually extend? I would like to try making it functional and not just glue three ribs on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barry

That's some awesome work you've got there! I love it!
I'm really looking forward to see it some day.

Ruben

:Dhey I used my wood lathe to turn mine, couldn't stand the idea of
bending all that sintra. what a great idea to use a peanut butter jar
lid for the ribbed part! your work looks greta so far and good luck with the rest!(y)(y)

Thanks Ruben & Woodman :)

Here's another update. Have been pretty busy, but managed to get this really tough piece ready for a bondo workout. I need to get rid of the 2-layer seam and some 'scars' when the dremel got away from me, hehe. This one has 16 'teeth' and is one of the toughest and labour intense pieces I've ever worked on.

Thanks for looking :)

jp015.jpg

Re: Scratch Build Jetpack (sintra) [updated feb 12]

Here's my concept of what the hook should look like and where its lever will be (small circle).

All I need now is a mechanism to open the hooks when the whole grappling hook is pulled out of the jet pack. I prefer not to use a switch.

Base design of the hook is from the WoF templates.

hooks.gif

OOOH that grapping hook rocks barry!
i never saw that picture wow its machined aluminium i think.
cool youre going for this.
maybe make them spring loaded but electronic is better to reject them.

looking sweet bro.

man you're doing such a great job with this still, love the grappling hook drawing

excited to see more pics

This has probably been discussed before, but it's interesting that the shape of the rocket tip in the photos is clearly conical, and not rounded.

Re: Scratch Build Jet Pack (sintra) [updated aug 18]

Whoa!

It's been too long since I updated you guys on my progress and there sure is some. This Sintra stuff is awesome! Thank you for looking.

Next: thrusters and grappling hook system assembly

Enjoy:

jp016.jpg

Re: Scratch Build Jet Pack (sintra) [updated feb 12]

These look awesome! thanks for the pics, you made the seemingly impossible look very managable -

FarmerFett

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back