My Iron Man Mk3 build

Iron Forge

New Hunter
Hey all. I had another thread on this build but it's been a while and it has since become completely hijacked. I am about 80% or more completed with the helmet sculpt itself. I will be sculpting the entire costume so stay tuned.

Lately I have had no time at all to work on this project but today I had a chance to work on the helmet and will be able to tomorrow as well. Hopefully I can finish the helmet sculpt tomorrow. I also have both collar pieces finished, with the chest and shoulders almost done.

I have drawn up all of the schematics from stills from the movie. I have scaled these pictures to the size of Robert Downey Jr. in the suit. Therefore this build should be the most accurate out yet. Tell me what you think so far.
th_DSC01133.jpg
th_DSC01134.jpg
th_DSC01132.jpg
th_DSC01129.jpg
th_DSC01135.jpg
th_DSC01136.jpg

Attachments

• th_DSC01135.jpg
    th_DSC01135.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 199
  • th_DSC01129.jpg
    th_DSC01129.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 205
  • th_DSC01132.jpg
    th_DSC01132.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 205
  • th_DSC01134.jpg
    th_DSC01134.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 206
  • th_DSC01133.jpg
    th_DSC01133.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 384
  • th_DSC01136.jpg
    th_DSC01136.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 212
I am using Bondo to cover the foam. It does eat the foam away but at the same time I have learned not to be as detailed on the foam original. For the rest of the suit I am quickly carving the foam and moving to Bondo. I basically need to finish the ears tomorrow and I'm done with the helmet.

1/21/09 Update
I completed this phase as of a few days ago. It's been crazy at work so I have been behind schedule. I need to finish the ears and fix the dome still. I will be buying my resin supplies next week.
th_DSC01138.jpg
th_DSC01139.jpg
th_DSC01140.jpg
th_DSC01141.jpg
th_DSC01142.jpg
th_DSC01143.jpg

Attachments

• th_DSC01141.jpg
    th_DSC01141.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 201
  • th_DSC01142.jpg
    th_DSC01142.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 202
  • th_DSC01143.jpg
    th_DSC01143.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 212
  • th_DSC01140.jpg
    th_DSC01140.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 205
  • th_DSC01139.jpg
    th_DSC01139.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 206
  • th_DSC01138.jpg
    th_DSC01138.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 193
Looking good. What i discoverd was that with the flatter flaceplate your nose get pretty squashed or you eyes get a longer distance to the eyes.

The original helmet is said to have eye ports bellow the eye sokets. They never looked out the eye sockets. It was like the Cylon helmets.

This also explains why the neck is so long. But again most of the armor we se is CGI. Very little of the Stunt versions armor were actually used in final scenes. They were also a bit bulkier.

Buy the book of Iron Man on how they made it. You will get allot of insight. And you be amazed. :)

I need to check that book out. But Eye ports below or not, the movie version has none. I am purely going after movie likeness, even if it does squash my nose completely. This helmet is probably also smaller than other fan made ones, as you can not put this on your head in 1 piece. Much like the movie CGI version which comes together in several pieces.
Looking good. What i discoverd was that with the flatter flaceplate your nose get pretty squashed or you eyes get a longer distance to the eyes.

The original helmet is said to have eye ports bellow the eye sokets. They never looked out the eye sockets. It was like the Cylon helmets.

This also explains why the neck is so long. But again most of the armor we se is CGI. Very little of the Stunt versions armor were actually used in final scenes. They were also a bit bulkier.

Buy the book of Iron Man on how they made it. You will get allot of insight. And you be amazed. :)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back