Yet another webley list.

I had some nice breakthroughs last night.

As you know, or to recap, the goal here is a webley cast thats durable, modular, and has no (or very very few) parting lines.

I feel ive broken new ground with the barrell, and the stock as of now.

Im doing some pulls of the smaller pieces now, such as the grip in a bronze/brass hybrid look. The barrell lock is done, and those lock in nice.

The next piece is the hand grip. Again, these are complicated to get a nice pour with no air bubbles, and no seam line on it. But im confident I can get something pretty close.

Last night, I wanted to test my theoretical next step in the webley process. Instead of high impact, virtually unbreakable plastic, I poured some barrells in.....RUBBER. Just like my knees. The end result was a lot better than I had hoped for. I think that I will be able to offer these in rubber as well.

If someone could answer this for me, id be grateful since ive never seen a real webley kit converted.

1. How far into the barrell does the tube insert?
2. When dropped whats the most common piece to break on a resin blaster?
3. If you have my rubber knees, you know how durable they are, are yo uinterested in a rubber gun with no cleanup/seamline? That weights about 1/3 what a solid resin gun would?

The following pic is the barrell in rubber. note when I shake this thing, it doesnt deform. It doesnt sag, and it doesnt show any deformation once its been bent and returned to normal. The barrel your looking at has been bent in half 50 times. I think that I would fill it with nerf foam to add a miniscule amount of weight, but give it a little more shape support. Im not sure thats necessary though.

Once I get the full gun built up in rubber ill know a little more.

Rubber is a little more expensive and harder to work with, but if the gun never breaks, and comes out with 'original' finish on it, thats got to be worth something.

rubberbarrell.jpg

This barrell was trimmed with my fingers. If you own the knees, its similar trimming on the inside with a small pair of scissors.

This project has been a long time coming. And its shaping up even better. Spideyfett offered to helpme put together some of the much needed greeble/pieces for the ESB blaster conversion. Specifically and mainly the scope, but some other helpful information came from his direction.

The fact of the matter is that FP, during his time in indiana, took some time to explain some mold making techniques. Without that help, I dont think that I would be able to do the gun in the fashion I am doing it in. Combine that with the resoursefulness of Spidey, this project looks better and better every minite.

'I love it when a plan comes together!'

This is unbelievable, in the first pic, you would almost swear it's a metal barrel, then to to see how much of a bend you can apply to it and still have it return to it's original shape, it's pretty amazing! :eek:

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pieces molded up! :love

:cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now the pistol grip is in rubber. I had wanted to post some pics of the stock. The mold turned out good. But the plastic I have to do them, im not happy with. Its so thick in the mold that the seam line when I squish it is a blob, and more importantly, it actually bulges out the mold.

Im going to look at a few different things. But the stock is the only thing proving to be a bugger at this point. Second half of the pistol grip will happen tonight, and the D-plate (which ive molded before so i know how that works) goes in. So by the weekend I should be able to post a full pic of the gun in different plastics.

Im excited about the rubber gun:) Especially because I know how hard it is to clean up a seam in rubber. So having none is a definite bonus;)

WOW, this is amazing M2.

I'm curious, if these parts would work with other kits as well. Perhaps a way to slowly build up a 100% rubber gun as resin parts break or are upgraded.

So if I break my resin barrel, can I add your barrel to my current kit? Think about the trigger... how many people pull their resin trigger... but only once :) Could I add your trigger to my kit? I don't know? I assume it's all about if the parts are molded the same, but how different can they all be... right? right?

Yes, I think you could use kit parts.

For simplicity im not doing a deep well on the trigger or the hammer. They are a flat surface right below the visible area. So its easy to attach. The stock, dclip, and barrell, and barrell catch are all exactly like the real thing. The piston grip is identical outside, but inner surfaces have been simplified to glue to.

So the short of it is, if your barrell is standard from say, a sidewinder kit, it should be able to be replaced with a rubber one.

And to clear it up, ill offer a rubber kit, and a resin kit. Rubber will be unbreakable but cant (probably not sure) be painted _quite_ as nice as a resin. The other thing about the rubber, is if you gash it, or have a trim line theres not really a way to clean it. So the rubbeer is more of a 'stunt' model.

Hope that makes sense.

Well the updates are trickling. Thats because theres SOOOO LITTLE humidity here that its taking 36 hours for the silicone to cure.

I have the dbracket in 1st half of silicone.
New trigger guard in silicone.
Pistol body in 2nd half of silicone

I have 2-3 of each part pulled so far. and most of them look pretty good.

The trigger in rubber is proving difficult becaues of air bubbles. I think im going to re-make the parts in a deeper, squish cast mold. But ill be able to pull parts from these to get pics and get a list together.

The stock is proving difficult. I have a few more ideas today. Theres virtually no seam line, which is good.

The bad is the way I molded it im getting some bubbles in the butt of the stock. Which is an easy place to fix, but still irritating. But im going to try over filling the stock today, see if it makes a good pull.

The bad is the stock weights 5 lbs in rubber. Its a beast. But will never break.

Havent done one in solid resin, in hollow cast resin, its decent, but gonna have some wiers spots, which I dont like.

All in all. i expect to be able to see what its going to look like this weekend.

M2

Ok the good the bad and the ugly.

First heres some photos of a webley ive taken out of the mold, and just glued together with only trimmin gwith my fingers.
img_0114.jpg

img_0115.jpg

img_0116.jpg

img_0117.jpg

Now, the obvious problems:)

Im not liking the mold line. You can see in one pic a 'mis aligned' mold created a step in the back of the grip.

I chose to put the mold line there, as it is not seen for the most pert. However, I didnt do a very good job of creating registration (Not big enough anyway) on the mold.

It was an 'experiment' anyway. So now I know. Im going to work on re-doing the grip.

The barrell is pretty good. the grip plates are good. The hammer is pretty good. All in all, for not being cleaned up at all, its pretty good. And the rubber barrell fits on just as well.

The other glaring problem is theres NO mold line anywhere on the stock, except the very butt gets some bubbles. I did a hollow cast stock, and its decent, but unless its thin resin, which is heavy, the stock is difficult to get bubble free. Not sure why. probably because the amount of 'squish' I use, isnt enough to fully releae the bubbles.

In short, im still workin on it. Ill likely sell some of these first pulls for half price, and I think that people will be happy with them, considering, but im still trying to get the best replica possible.

I apologize for the poor pictures.
Mason

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back