Masking fluid

I have left mine on for a couple of days and it came off quite easy. I don't believe that it will harden but just turns to a latex texture. I found that it came off easier after the couple of days of waiting (I had no choice to wait a couple of days).

Really?
I must admit I left some on for 5 days once and it was a git to remove in the 'same' shape/design I applied it...
I generally leave it for 2-3 days max

really. I've not had much of a problem with that. I use a dental pick, tooth pick, and my finger to remove (most of the time). granted...The parts that have been left on the longest were pretty small and I wasn't overly concerned abou the exact shape, so perhaps I didn't notice.

Thanks guys. At least I know I don´t have to stress with getting it off. I also use the Winsor-stuff. Bought it fairly cheap on the bay.

When I did my helmet as soon as the masking fluid was dry I painted over it. Then I used an eraser to remove the latex and a xacto knife for shapeing and scratches. I started removing the fluid 30 min to 1 hour after painting. That way the xacto knife didn't ruin the undercoat and I didn't clear coat anything until I was totally finished.

I forget which masking fluid I have used in the past but I switched to toothpaste. If you are looking for a cheap alternative to the fluid try it out. I apply it using a toothpick or any other type of tool. No need to let it dry. Then spray paint it. Wait for the paint to dry then wipe off the toothpaste. You may need to get a wet paper towel and wipe off any residue but it works well for me at least.

Originally posted by Iron Forge:
I forget which masking fluid I have used in the past but I switched to toothpaste. If you are looking for a cheap alternative to the fluid try it out. I apply it using a toothpick or any other type of tool. No need to let it dry. Then spray paint it. Wait for the paint to dry then wipe off the toothpaste. You may need to get a wet paper towel and wipe off any residue but it works well for me at least.

Toothpaste! Great idea.
I use the Winsor and Newton. I am always excited to work on stuff, so I apply the masking fluid, and paint as soon as it is dry. I wait for the paint to be dry enough,(or try to wait) and peal it off. I cant wait to see how it looks, and removing the masking is like revealing what you did. Too exciting to wait IMO.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back