FP Aluminum (Copper tip) Gauntlet Rocket

Here's an Idea of what we are trying to achieve... Thanks to Ripcode(y)...
as he had the only fan made copper tip rocket made that I know of.

Thanks for sharing Rip.(y)

attachment.php

Ripcodemissle1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Having seen the psberetta/serenity/ripcode rocket, I am certainly swayed to believe that the originals might have been copper. While I certainly don't think it is definitive and I don't think it is good to label the originals as definitively being copper, I think copper would be a good choice for this run, based on what we have seen. I am still leaning very strongly toward plating instead of solid.

I have an Aluminum Gauntlet Rocket with a BRASS tip (maker: unknown) ... and now I know what looks wrong... it must be copper ! Copper is the correct material, I´m pretty sure and agree with Spidey and the others..

If pics are needed I can post them later...

Being that copper is a soft metal and the rocket tip in the exhibits has been subjected to severe wear and tear over the years, don't you think that we'd see more damage to the rocket tip in the AoSW and MoM exhibits pics? Just a thought...I really know nothing.

even back then wasn't copper relatively expensive? i thought they wanted keep the suit cost to a minimum. so why would they spend the money to have copper machined instead of plating it with copper?

even back then wasn't copper relatively expensive? i thought they wanted keep the suit cost to a minimum. so why would they spend the money to have copper machined instead of plating it with copper?

Again, remember that many of the parts to make the suit were found parts, not necessarily specially machined parts, like what we're having to do in order to "Replicate" the best we can because the original parts are either not easily found or origins completely known for every single piece! :confused

Interest List added on the first post..

quick update, the Copper Alloy has been ordered!!(y)
...from what I was told the copper alloy is almost 99% copper, so it still looks like copper, but again is much more durable for the machinest to work with and is over all stronger....(y) so no dents.;)

Looks like I'm late to the party but had you considered Aluminium Bronze, soft, easy to machine looks the part, and probably cheaper than copper

I don't have any to hand but I can take some at work tomorrow, I use it a lot in the components that my company produces, all of which are aircraft parts and so the material has to be spot on, I can tell you that it does polish up very nice and shiny though Alex :) (y)

Edit - Just pulled this image off google, this is how it looks, although with proper speeds and feed-rates of tools you can get a very clean shiny finish

al_brnz_parts.jpg

I don't have any to hand but I can take some at work tomorrow, I use it a lot in the components that my company produces, all of which are aircraft parts and so the material has to be spot on, I can tell you that it does polish up very nice and shiny though Alex :) (y)
Edit - Just pulled this image off google, this is how it looks, although with proper speeds and feed-rates of tools you can get a very clean shiny finish

Nice Joe!!.. I like the look of it, but in that picture it still looks kinda "brassy", if that's even a word.:lol:..is that the bronze or the brass version?

I'm really new at all this, and I've learned waaay to much about Copper, Copper Alloy, Electroplating..etc etc...:lol:
I was even told by my Machinest that pure copper doesn't corrode if you put a sealer or lacquer on it, or even some simple standard trade finishing techniques would help with corrosion...

Heck I'm just glad there're a ton of options to choose from for this project.(y)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back