And So It Begins ........**UPDATED PIC ** 2-10-03

WOW! Man we have just unloaded on the great buckets lately. We are gonna have to slow down or we are all gonna have perfectly accurate costumes and nothing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Main Entry: awe·some
Pronunciation: 'o-s&m
Function: adjective
Date: 1598
1 : expressive of awe <awesome tribute>
2 a : inspiring awe <an awesome task> b : TERRIFIC 2, 3; especially : EXTRAORDINARY

See? Words just do your work enough justice. A true work of art, my friend. I will always be indebted to you for taking precious time out of your hectic schedule to paint this for me. I will wear this helmet with great pride, Fettpride. (y)

If I were to smuggle you in some great info from inside the archives would you paint me a helmet like that. If so does anyone know where i can purchase a copy of Smuggling for Dummies?

That is frekin incredible!!!!!!

Superb work! Cant wait to see it finished & added to a suit.

Nathan :eek:

Holy poopiepants!!!!!!! That's just amazing! That helmet TOTALLY BLOW ME AWAY!

Steve.

Freaking amazing man!!

And welcome back!

With all this amazing work ragarding Boba I'm finally convince - I'm doing Boba next. :)

Damm you do awesome work man.

When does CLASS start at The American Academy of Sculpting and Painting at Fettprides?

That is truly incredible!

Yep, you said it Seeker...I'm seriously
considering doing Boba next!

W:eek:W boy nice work ... again ... damn now i hate you ;)
you need post a tutorial ... you don take pics of your wip
again awesome work :)

FP, look at what you have done. You have BF quoting from the dictionary, and Seeker joining team Boba. End of times? I think not. Just a kick-ass ESB helmet. You've done outstanding work on what I believe is one of the hardest props/helmets to paint accurately.

I'm in love with the job you did on that upward pointing area of damage on Fett's right temple area. It's one of the most intricate designs on the helmet, and a personal fav, and it looks spot on!

BOOYAH!! Good Job! :cheers You must let us know your technique. It looks fantastic!

Yeah, this is just perfect... Fettpride converting people to Boba, all with an <font color="#00FF00">ESB helmet!
Sweet music to my ears. Muh ha ha ha h ah ah ah aaaaaahhhhh...:evil

Here it is from a different angle Tyler.

5.jpg

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. SOme of you may notice (or not) that I'm logged in probably most of the time, but it doesn't actually mean I'm there. I just keep it logged in :facepalm

Ego - I'm still around, probably always will :D Thanks bud.

Bountys Hunted - Thanks buddy ;)

Well Paid Killer - :lol:

tteF aboB - :eek:

MegalomaniacalMandalore -Thanks man :)

C17LM - ;)

Tim Allen - :)

Dean O - Ain't dat da truth !! :lol: Thanks bud!

TK-Fett - Nah! There will always be something to do, we'll never truly be happy, until we get the real thing :D

Bobafettish - Thanks buddy :eek: I'm glad ya like. Keep in mind tho, it's just paint, when you see it in person, you may be dissappointed :facepalm :lol:

TK-Fett- If you get me INSIDE the archives, I might consider it :lol:

natty15d - Thanks my friend :D I hope that will happen sometime REAL soon. I'm itching myself.

STEVE THE SWEDE - Thanks Steve :) I never got the chance to welcome ya to TDH ... Welcome aboard !

SEEKER - :lol: :lol: Thanks bud ! Awe shucks, ya know me, I'm like that bad penny you keep hearing about, I always turn up eventually :) Did I ever send you that darn Dart ? My brain not soooo good lately? Glad to hear yer gonna do a Boba !! You got it made man, now that we knowwhat Jango looks like, and that Boba is a clone, you'll look just like him too !! I think it's a cool idea man !

malcfett - Sweet !!! Another convert ;)

secol_FETT - :lol: Thanks :) Actually I did take some progress pics this time, not many tho. It was kinda hard because I kept repainting the base colors, trying to get them right. I even had alot of the detail painted at one point, and decided to strip it and do it over. I probably did that 4 or 5 times :lol: I'll dig up some of the better ones for ya.

tylerdurden - :lol: Thanks a million man :D

BOBA PHAT - Thanks bud :) Technique ? Well, I don't believe in using the torn sponge method, I personally can't get them to work. I just use teeny weeny brushes, and strain the hell out of my eyes looking at pictures of different angles while I work it. Placement of the scratches is the real trick I suppose, getting them in place and proper relation to the shapes and angles of the helmet. That's probably why these look a little better than my last one that was a deluxe cast, being that it was a different shape in every possible way, as a paint palette, it just didn't do the scratches and scars justice, because the scars had to be disproportioned to fit on the areas of the misshapen bucket. Now that these Movie Size buckets are available, I think it help tremendously in the final outcome. That's at least one of my theories. Perhaps it's all in the practice. After all this is my 5th helmet now :facepalm

Well Paid Killer - Look at you !!! We'll now dub you ....
"The Recruiter" !
Ya gotta watch out for this guy people :D

Thank again to everyone !

Fettpride

Brushes are the way to go! What kind of paint is it? When I use spray paint and apply with a brush, I waste a lot of paint. I like the results that model paints give, but I have to blot and smear a lot to keep the paint thin, even when I wring out my brush. That makes it rather hard to follow the weathering patterns.

Fp, Lee and I were just discussing the very same thing a couple days ago. Placement in relation to the size and accuracy of the helmet is as important as having the right colors and shapes. Everything will just line up better if you have a helmet that is proportional and close to the correct size. So cheer for the "MSH" maker is also in order. Though, a whole freaking lot of talent and eye squinting helps too, I suppose. ;)

Placement of the scratches is the real trick I suppose, getting them in place and proper relation to the shapes and angles of the helmet. That's probably why these look a little better than my last one that was a deluxe cast, being that it was a different shape in every possible way, as a paint palette, it just didn't do the scratches and scars justice, because the scars had to be disproportioned to fit on the areas of the misshapen bucket. Now that these Movie Size buckets are available, I think it help tremendously in the final outcome. That's at least one of my theories.

Thanks for your welcome!:)

I was wondering, did you use water based acrylics or enamels for the grey and purple/grey paint chips? I never really liked the result of acrylics when using this weathering technique. Even if they are watered out they seem to dry with an uneven surface, at least the ones I'm using.

If you have any pointers on this subject I would love to hear it!:)

Steve.

Wow! FP, you know you've done something special when you've got Seeker convinced to do a Boba!!!!

:D

BOBA PHAT - The base green is a custom green that I mixed a small batch of sometime ago, and took it to Sherwin Williams to get it matched for future instances. All the weathering in done with Testors Enamels. The silver is actually a specific Krylon Silver. The only one I have found that will take Dull Coat without turning LEAD color. Otherwise, the rest of the colors are all custom mixed Testors. Unfortunately, nothing straight out of the bottle.

tylerdurden - :lol: Yep, Yep....A definite :cheers to the maker of these buckets. Without him, we'd still be suffering from "DPTOXIMIA" :lol:

STEVE THE SWEDE - Steve, I used all enamels on my own bucket this time. It's a first for me. I usually use acryl for at least some of it, but this time, I decided to experiment. It's the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. It's a much more durable, as acryl tends to dry like an extremely hard rubber, that can chip right off in some cases if it's applied too thick, and yes, very uneven. But no matter what, don't forget the secret ingredient ....... (see below)

Bountys Hunted - Awe, he's been a Boba at heart the whole time, he's just in denial :D After all, he knows that Boba, is truly what started this craze in the first place ;)

The colors I used are:

Base Green (Dome and Cheeks)- Sherwin Williams Product # F77V100 Color KFC 10257 Green

Mandibles - Base of Ruddy brown, with a LIGHT airbrushed enamel misting of Testors DK. Red , then lightly weather with a dark wash (I used charcoal gray) and then a VERY LIGHT toothbrush misting of white wash (to get that speckled effect here and there seen on the exhibit pics. The pics above show the red mandible area a little darker than the original, but it's also lighting. It does some seriously strange things in different lights, all of which appear close to correct to me.

Inside Cheeks - Krylon Ultra Flat Black with an ULTRA LIGHT misting of Krylon Camouflage Series DK Brown (it's actually a real grimy dark brown almost black color that Softens the pitch black of the ultra. With a combo of the two, it looks real nice up close and personal. And a VERY LIGHT toothbrush misting of the white wash spatters again.

Grays - Various, as will the real Helmet. Mostly custom mixed for brightness and contrast. This is where the eyes and good computer monitor come in :D But one can get most any of the grays with a combination of Flat black, Flat White, and a little bit of Sea Blue.

The Dk Red outlines on the mandibles - some call it purple, wine, plum - I simply used a combo of Dk. Red, Sea Blue, Black, and White.

Rear Green/Blue of the helmet - I fudged this tremendously. I will have to look at the paints again to jog my memory on this one (sorry)

Silver - Krylon Metallic Spray paint - Silver. This is a different series of Krylon as well. It comes in a Bluish Green can with a white Diamond on the front with SILVER in big letters in the middle of the diamond. I got it at K-mart. It can be brushed, but one must spray some into a container or the cap, and let the puddle start to dry for a little while so that it thickens up a bit. This is absolutely the only metallic paint I have found that can be sealed with Dull Coat without turning Lead Color. It keeps the silver appearance, but dulls just enough not to be obnoxious, making it appear to be used metal, not bright and shiny new :D

And, the SECRET INGREDIENT ...... (Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone)

pubimage.asp

You see that little pad he's using ? It a Scotchbrite :D I can't stress enough, to smooth out the layers of detail, you gotta use it. Don't be afraid of it. It's a beautiful thing. Blend, Blend, Blend.

Keep in mind, as with any paint list, it's simply a guideline. The results will vary depending on the artist. I used many different techniques, some of which I do not remember in the various stages, because they happen on the fly, and could never be replicated again. That's why no matter who paints a helmet, there will always bee subtle differences from bucket to bucket.

ALTHOUGH, if I were anyone else here, I would hold out for just a little while longer. The world will be a MUCH better place once Lee (C17LM - Aurora) releases his paint codes. There is MUCH TO BE DESIRED in a paint code list that's right out of the bottle, right off the shelf, that one need not custom mix :D Lee and I have worked closely, and out of respect for his hard work and many, many hours of research, I have chosen to take the custom route again with my own helmet, until he is ready to reveal his findings. But I will reiterate myself, results will vary. Just because there will be a definitive paint list, does not in any way downplay or take away from the talents of an Artisan like Lee. His colors will be an accurate base to start from, where one chooses to go from there, is up to the individual.

I hope this helps some.

Fettpride

Awesome work Chris, seriously cool. I knew you'd do this helmet justice.

How's the rest of the suit coming along?

Are you coming to comic-con again?

Take care,
Phil

Don't worry FP . . your secrets are safe with us! :)

Let me say thank you for all the great info you just gave the board . . . definitely what the spirit of TDH is all about--makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! :lol:

You probably needed to practice your typing skills anyway right? :p

I do have one more question for you, which, may be stupid but . . . with the secret scotchbrite ingredient . . how soon after painting to you use it? How much pressure do you put on as well. Just curious as I don't have all that much scrap that I can test this stuff on so . . definitely interested in your thoughts.

Thanks again,
Jer

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back