FPH #15 Progress Thread

UPDATE 1/14 (Early 1/14 :wacko)

I have started the rear "hatband" area. The same three colors as with the keyslot area: Floquil Bright Silver, PS Dark Lark Grey, and PS PRR Maroon. I started on the right side, figured I started with the back left panel so I should show the right side of the helmet some love. :rolleyes I worked my way up the side and across to just above the keyslot area. Again, I stenciled and put down the silver and grey separately and then did the maroon by hand once I had some landmarks.
p1140640mv7.jpg

p1140643kj9.jpg

I put down the silver on the left side but am now going to sleep. I'll try to get the grey and maroon down Thursday. :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see your getting her done up nice. If I ever try again I'll get those templates from you, I am NEVER doing the back pannels free hand again. I really hate them....:cry

UPDATE 1/16

I finished up the rest of the reat hatband area and the vertical area next to the left ear. I also spilled nearly a whole bottle of PRR Maroon on my workspace in the process. :angry Oh well, I needed another trip to the hobby store... :facepalm

p1160640zl8.jpg

p1160641ko2.jpg

UPDATE 1/22

OK...here we go! Those mandibles are a killer!! :wacko I finished up the hatband and mandibles this week using the same 3 colors: 1. Floquil Bright silver, 2. PS SP dark lark grey, 3. PS PRR maroon. Same plan as before, apply the silver for landmarking and then go with the grey and maroon. I didn't use the SP dark lark grey stencils to quite the same extent as before, as much of the application was to small areas. I used reference pics to eyeball the application and in some of the slightly larger areas, drew on the damage with light pencil before applying.

CAUTION: To those planning on using the Count Dookie stencils...the damage area near the left "eye" is compressed! Superjedi experienced this problem when he did his FPH paintup, so I knew to watch out for it. To remedy this, I sized up a ref pic from the AoSW exhibit to match the dims of my helmet and bingo-bango-boingo...I had a workable template. I just slapped some tracing paper on the screen, traced the damage and then moved it to my graphite paper. I did save the pic in question if someone needs it!! (y)

I would also recommend thinning down the SP dark lark grey a bit. It is fairly heavy and applies better when you thin it with some isopropyl alcohol (for acrylics only!!)

Now on to the pics!!
p1220640cm2.jpg

p1220641he7.jpg

p1220643mu3.jpg

p1220644fn9.jpg

p1220642iz5.jpg

Hopefully I'll be getting to the upper cheeks tomorrow. Then I need to test some color mixing with the SP dark lark grey before applying that color to the lower cheeks and dome!!! :cheers

Alright, Mike! Keeps looking gooder and gooder. :)
You got the PO Green between the top/bottom ear sections, too. Nice!

Nice paint job, but a small detail i spotted: i was seeing the painted section between the ear pieces as the light grey colour that appears in small areas on the right hand mandible?

Mike, excellent work! Aren't you glad to have the mandibles done? :D

Nice paint job, but a small detail i spotted: i was seeing the painted section between the ear pieces as the light grey colour that appears in small areas on the right hand mandible?

Garrett, you know, I've always "read" that color as PO Green. . . but you might be right! I'll have to go back through some of my detail reference pix. (y)

Mike, excellent work! Aren't you glad to have the mandibles done? :D

Garrett, you know, I've always "read" that color as PO Green. . . but you might be right! I'll have to go back through some of my detail reference pix. (y)

You know, in some shots it has the appearance of POG and in a couple it does look like a shade of grey. I think that if it is grey, it is lighter than the SP dark lark grey that is used for the damage areas. Perhaps more of a Reefer grey? :confused

I went with the POG based on the ref pics I saw and the work that Eric has done in the past. Thanks for the input though, it will give me something to think about if I ever dare do this again!

And yes Eric...I'm SO glad that the mandibles are done! :wacko

Just found this shot on TDH ref pics, i think it's probably the same colour as the highlight that runs between the mandible and upper cheek, a grey /blue /green colour deepened on which colour its next to...:)
I use Humbrol 147 seems to hit the right spot next to the other colours...(y)

Screenshot_1.png

Well, I must say I'm glad for people with better eyes than me. :lol:
Garrett, I had some time to search through my pics, and sure enough it certainly does appear to be a contrasting pale gray/blue-gray color between the ear pieces!

Here's a couple of shots to highlight the same area you just showed.

Betweenearpieces.jpg

This actually makes sense, too, because the color between the upper and lower ear sections on the PP3 bucket is an almost off-white kind of pale grayish color.
Here's a pic of that same section on the PP3.

PP3betweenears.jpg

I wonder if this could have been the "original" primer color used on the helmets. Or maybe even the raw cast that just wasn't painted at all?
Very interesting!! Man, I love learning new stuff about the Fett! :cheers

UPDATE 1/31

Well, I got the lower cheeks done. I can't say that I'm too happy with the color. I darkened the PS SP dark lark grey with some PS PRR Brunswick Green, a tip passed down from Lee (RS) and Eric (Superjedi). I had some old sintra laying around that I had put some POG on to test the colors. I got the mix to where I liked it on the test sintra (a nice contrast b/t the two colors) but when I put it down on the helmet, it just looks lighter. I put down two light coats on the sintra and did the same with the bucket... :confused Anyway, here are the lower cheeks. I'm not very happy with the way it looks, but perhaps if I stop staring at it, it will grow on me...

I used a compass point for the fine scratches on the left cheek. I just scratched down to the gelcoat layer. It is very easy to control and you get a good depth from it.

p1310643zq1.jpg

p1310642tt7.jpg

Mike, as far as the darkened Lark Gray, it will look different in different lighting conditions.
How does it look under natural light? When you're taking flash pics it's gonna appear a lot lighter than it looks by eye.
Bottom line is, with any custom mix, if you're not happy with it, consider remixing the color and repainting those portions before you go further.
It's your helmet, and you're the one who has to decide if you're happy with the way it looks. :)

UPDATE 2/3

I spent my snow day at home finishing up some of the dome areas. I had put down the silver the other night and got the darkened Lark Grey down today. I'm happier with the color now...I guess it just had to grow on me. :rolleyes

I am basically focusing on the back (between the ears :lol:) right now. I will probably move toward the kill stripes next...the catscratch scares me. It is very signature and I don't want to goof it up.

I also began to add some of the fine scratches. I used a compass point to scratch down to the gelcoat. I also got the RF ear detailed. For that I used SP Dark Lark Grey out of the bottle. I also swapped out Scott's decals for some dry transfer letters. The stripes are capital "I" from Woodland Scenics condensed gothic typeset, as is the "T". The dot is actually a lower case "o" from Woodland Scenics regular gothic typeset. Then I just canabalized other letters to fill in the circle (thanks Eric!). :cheers

p2030640yd8.jpg

p2030645sk9.jpg

p2030644cm5.jpg

RF ear:
p2030641nz5.jpg

p2030642dy8.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back