Boomer Fett Mannequin Tutorial

I am diggin all the poses you are getting out of these. Great work buddy. I can't wait to get to work on mine. Hopefully the end of next month I will get started.

this is the only other good pose of that statue I could find.. the key points of his pose is... he is arching his back and giving the "come get some" look..... that is sooo cool..
ggbobast.jpg

How are you guys going to put gloves on those mannequins?

I am working on that now. I am cutting all the fingers off, then filling the hole left over with fiberglass. Then I plan on using wire or coat hangers to build fingers and insert them into left over hose from my gauntlets. Cut the hose and wire to finger length, drill holes in the fiberglass, and insert the wires into the holes. Probably JB weld them in there. I will post pics when I do it, maybe this weekend(y)

Yep, you are correct. The trick is to make some joints in the fingers. I am going to cut some "v's" in the hose. Hard to describe, so I will do some pics. I saw someone do this is a thread long ago, not sure if I could find it again. So I can't take credit for the idea;)

Been lurking on here on and off for a long time just doing some mental filing for when I ever get do diving into any of this stuff.;)

But this thread sparked a question because I'm not really sure where to look to buy a mannequin.

I have a partially finished Stormtrooper armor set that I'd like to primarily display on a mannequin. I don't have plans to currently wear the armor since it may not fit me as I didn't build it but I'm 6' 200lbs. I'd certainly love to pose it to hold the E-11 along the lines of the Life-Size Don Post statue.

Any suggestions of online sellers or where to look locally? I live in Boston and I feel someone has to have mannequins for sale. I'm sure shipping a mannequin isnt the cheapest thing!:lol:

Much appreciated!

You are talking to the man brother. I have like 3 left. They are $105 shipped to your door. They are height adjustable following this thread. This thread was made to show people how to rework the mannes I have for sale. I started with 73 and I am down to 3...PM me for further details.

Here is a little preview on the hands I am working on. First I cut the hose into finger lengths and cut the "v's" for joints-
IMG_3275.jpg

Next, cut the fingers off the hand and fiberglass filled the hand. Then drilled holes for the coathanger wires-
IMG_3274.jpg

Then, put the fingers on the wires.-
IMG_3276.jpg

I am actually a little farther now. I have the thumb on and glued all the fingers at the base and tips with Goop. I am going to shape where the fingers meet the hands a little, and round the tips of the fingers, so they look natural in the glove. I can get quite a bit of dexterity with the fingers because of the joints. I will have more pics up soon, as soon as I get the hand finished up-

:confused From doing the math from above, I will have to take 12 inches off.:eek: Yeah, I guess I'm short.(shorter than I thought anyways). So to take 12 :eek: inches off of the waist, that takes his whole crotch out of the picture. Which if I cut all of that off will be left with two separated legs.

Am I missing something here, because the pic above that is showing 9.5 inches marked looks to be more like 9.5 cm on my manny. Has anyone else have this problem yet with their mannequin and what did you do? I'm thinking that maybe taking 12 inches out of the thighs might be a way to go, but that would make him very weak at the knees (literally :lol:).

I am very confused about this one and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stussy

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is def a problem with math around here. I cut about 6 inches off of my legs and about 4 inches off of my torso and got a manne around 5'7". My costume made for my 5'8" height went on a manne that was 6'2" with the lid on. I would suggest starting with about 4 in iff of the leggs, put it together, cut more, try again, etc. Just cut about 1 inch or less at a time.
:confused From doing the math from above, I will have to take 12 inches off.:eek: Yeah, I guess I'm short.(shorter than I thought anyways). So to take 12 :eek: inches off of the waist, that takes his whole crotch out of the picture. Which if I cut all of that off will be left with two separated legs.

Am I missing something here, because the pic above that is showing 9.5 inches marked looks to be more like 9.5 cm on my manny. Has anyone else have this problem yet with their mannequin and what did you do? I'm thinking that maybe taking 12 inches out of the thighs might be a way to go, but that would make him very weak at the knees (literally :lol:).

I am very confused about this one and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stussy

I see what you are saying. I guess I was just thinking of taking it all off of the legs. I will try that along with what you told me in your PM.

Thanks,
Stussy

My manne is slightly taller than me, 5'10 1/2 or so, compared to me just under 5'9. I cut the bottom part about halfway through the groin, didn't want to go much farther for the same fears that you have. I didn't take any off the torso, but probably could have to get it at my exact height. I am ok with it being a little taller, still wears my suit just fine, and is actually closer to cannon height than myself

My manne is slightly taller than me, 5'10 1/2 or so, compared to me just under 5'9. I cut the bottom part about halfway through the groin, didn't want to go much farther for the same fears that you have. I didn't take any off the torso, but probably could have to get it at my exact height. I am ok with it being a little taller, still wears my suit just fine, and is actually closer to cannon height than myself
"cannon height"!!! That is what I was looking for! My 5'9" manne just doesn't look quite as good as the 6'3" I had it on. It just doesn't have that "Fett" feel even though it looks good.

Thanks for the input guys. I will definitely take the added inches into consideration when sizing mine.

Now if I could just get Canada Post to send me my torso, I would be all set to start.

well, i posted a progress on mine, and was RUDELY informed by Ivan i was going about this totally wrong...he actually had the gaul to tell me my costume wouldnt fit on my manne the way i was going about it...sheesh...some people have such nerve...:lol: na, thanks Ivan, for the heads up, brother...very, very stupid moment i was having...i wasnt looking past to actually putting on the costume, just narrowly focused on getting the arms how i wanted them postitioned...tunnel vision is what they call it...??:lol:

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back