TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint!

Bringing back up this thread.

I have just under 5 weeks left before I leave for Basic. I'm not proud of myself for having held onto this helmet for this long and as I've said before, theres no excuse. I've been working on this for the past week, stripping down the paint. I recieved a BobaMaker Jango visor as well this week. I've completly wet-sanded the entire helmet, and should have gotten rid of the un-eveness of when I used the mouse sander sometime ago. I feel that was the cause of the splotches of paint as posted above.

Anyways, I need to find my drill set. It went missing shortly after finishing my snowtrooper. Don't know whether or not it was stolen, but wouldn't be surprised..

-TC

Finally was able to finish stripping about 98% of the previous paint off, completly wet-sanded this time. Filled some holes where the previous builder had put some wood screws to hold the ear cap in place. Got that sanded down. I had to remove the original masking tape, repolish the silver. I'm gonna be re-masking it again tonight, and put a few layers of primer down for me to sand. The weather is alot cooler, so if things go as planned, painting shouldn't be an issue.

005-47.jpg

006-49.jpg

-TC

Okay! So I had somehwhat of a busy day today but I was able to mask everything off and get a few layers of primer down. Tomorrow I have nothing to do, so I'm gonna do another sanding to smooth it out again and put some blue down. Hopefully it won't bubble like before :fingerscrossed:

003-78.jpg

Need to get ahold of a drill set. I want to get the RF box attached to the stalk sometime soon, and start modding the ear cap!

-TC

The Krylon and the Rustoleum together will give you fits. I have come to despise Rustoleum due to their lengthy drying times and they seem to be incompatible with certain types of primers also. I feel your pain from doing TD0488's paintup. If someone could find other hobby paints which would work the incompatibility issues could be solved.

The Krylon and the Rustoleum together will give you fits. I have come to despise Rustoleum due to their lengthy drying times and they seem to be incompatible with certain types of primers also. I feel your pain from doing TD0488's paintup. If someone could find other hobby paints which would work the incompatibility issues could be solved.

For the most part, I haven't had too many issues with the two paints conflicting. The biggest issues have always come from the krylon application. The Rustolium always came out fine for me. I will say that other projects I've worked on, the rustolium paints do have issues within it's own brand.

Don't strip it off yet. I had similar problems with the Krylon. I ended up just putting on several layers and wetsanding it with like 2000 grit sandpaper. It ended up coming out great with a natural semi-gloss finish.

The final coat on mine is a wetsanded coat. You may have to apply several layers but the finished coat can be wetsanded with 2000 grit.

I've had bubbling occur in the Krylon when I applied it too thick and it's was placed in front of a source of heat. Might that be your case? I would recommend sealing all of the painted areas with the Rustoleum and then going back and taping off the Krylon areas and painting over the Rustoleum. That's how I've done all of my helmets and it has worked out fine for me when I've applied the Krylon lightly. When I went to heavy with the Krylon...it bubbled.

I've had bubbling occur in the Krylon when I applied it too thick and it's was placed in front of a source of heat. Might that be your case? I would recommend sealing all of the painted areas with the Rustoleum and then going back and taping off the Krylon areas and painting over the Rustoleum. That's how I've done all of my helmets and it has worked out fine for me when I've applied the Krylon lightly. When I went to heavy with the Krylon...it bubbled.

I've actually considered that before. The reason I haven't tried it is that I think it'd make masking off for the krylon a little more challenging. If the method that foxbatkller dosn't work out for me, then I'll give this a shot.

As for application of the krylon, I've tried going as light as possible. It has even bubbled when I tried "misting" the helmet. I cannot explain it for the life of me

Thanks guys!

The final coat on mine is a wetsanded coat. You may have to apply several layers but the finished coat can be wetsanded with 2000 grit.

So..lol, where can I purchase 2000 grit sandpaper? I just got back from Home Depot, and the finest grit they had was 600. Only other hardware store around is Lowes

ace hardware has some really high grit sandpaper, up to 2000. well, they do in the both the stores around here. i'm guessing they would be pretty much the same all around the country.

ace hardware has some really high grit sandpaper, up to 2000. well, they do in the both the stores around here. i'm guessing they would be pretty much the same all around the country.

Hmm alright. Well since I didn't open what I bought today, I'll just go return that and go by an ACE then. I should probably pick up another can of Krylon while I'm there...Thanks!!!

Wal-Mart in the auto section or most auto parts stores carry 2000 grit. Also I recommend picking up some 1000 and 1500 in case the 2000 doesn't do the trick.

Wal-Mart in the auto section or most auto parts stores carry 2000 grit. Also I recommend picking up some 1000 and 1500 in case the 2000 doesn't do the trick.

Yea, I had gone to about 3 Ace hardware's today, and none of them carried 2000 grit. The last one though, at least they guy running it knew 2000 grit existed! Everyone else thought I was crazy lol Anyways, that was the only place that carried 1500, so I picked that up. I'll check the local wally world, but I don't think they'll carry it.

The sanding techinique didn't work. It made it very spotty and didn't look good. I'm having to sand it all back down tomorrow. I've bought two brand new cans of the krylon. I don't know what else to do at this point. I have absolutly no idea as to why this is happening other then to say that the krylon paint has gone to **** since they've changed their formula cause the EPA wants to "go green" (aka Go Stupid)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back