Crisis?

Madrid Boba

Active Hunter
Yes.. a worldwide crisis......

I am trying to sell Star Wars items on ebay at a fair price ... and there are no bids...

A few months ago, those items should have been sold with no problem....

Do you agree?

Alfredo

I think it depends what your selling that counts too ,if im selling star wars related items on ebay then i will more likely sell props than toys as these seem favorable ,also dont forget that with the clone wars new series out at the moment also that people will be more or less on the hunt for these items too ;)

that and the way of eBay has changed in recent years. How long has your auction been up? people prefer Buy It Now to actual auctions lately. Also, they do not bid until the last day of the auction, trying to "snipe" the auction and win it cheaply at the last minute.

that and the way of eBay has changed in recent years. How long has your auction been up? people prefer Buy It Now to actual auctions lately. Also, they do not bid until the last day of the auction, trying to "snipe" the auction and win it cheaply at the last minute.

Totally agree, I personally prefer to buy something straight out for a fair price then mess about with auctions.

Definitely worth adding a "Buy it now" option.

The only thing I' ve noticed so far is the gasoline prices... dropping lower and lower... so personally... I have only benefitted from it thus far... but maybe I'm the only one.

Totally agree, I personally prefer to buy something straight out for a fair price then mess about with auctions.

Yep. I have a bunch of stuff up right now, and immediately the things with buy it now options sold. all the auctions are still up and only 1 has a bid. the rest have a couple people 'watching' but I dont expect any bids until Saturday and Sunday, the last two days of the auction

I have been trying to liquidate everything from high-end MBZ automotive parts to sets of furniture used in staging homes for sale, and other odd's ends for months, at riduclously low prices on Craigslist, with zero offers in most cases. And I am just trying to make space and to get stuff out of my hair. I have been highly informed on the impending magnitude of this economic calamity for almost 3 years now, which is now here in full force. I started taking it seriously about a year and a half ago, yet I am still very much shocked at how hard this has hit the streets. I finally dumped an immaculate, awesome slate topped coffee table set that I paid $1000 for in 05' for $175.00 after sitting on Craigslist for 2 months.

Folks, we are having a massive run on consumerism at this time. There is no such thing as expendable income when everything around you has been paid for and leveragred with credit. Every industry has been over valued for years, and most industries are now rated half their stated value from 2 years ago. Fed-Ex stock dropped this week based on thier projections for 2009, and this is even after DHL ceased domestic delivery operations just two days ago. Now that credit has frozen all across the board, the consumer/employee (the ones that actually get it and understand the magnitude of this calamity) are on the sidelines saving feverishly, where in traditional household savings have decreased almost over 2 decades now. Our entire financial system needs to recalibrate, and the recovery time is at a minimum of 3 years from 2009, according to my sources.

I agree,

I don't even bother with auctions anymore, given the fact that a buy it now might pop up before the auction ends, i don't want to back into a corner if I find what i need for a buy it now and am still in the middle of bidding

Given that it's almost Christmas time, most people have already spent whatever expendable income they have on presents. Also, most people are saving like crazy now just in case they might get laid off from their jobs. Call it conspiracy theory but this 'crisis' is a way for the powers that be to de-value the U.S. dollar so they can set the stage for the American continent to have one currency just as they have it in Europe with the Euros. It's the recalibration of the economy that Replicant Shadow has mentioned earlier.

BTW, good luck with the sale of your items Alfredo!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two cards, I will not use them for ANYTHING. I keep the limit on them to 500.00 each. Basically what I would probably need to repair my car if anything happened.

I have two savings acounts and an IRA. The one savings account is for emergency rent, and the other is for saving for travel. I pay myself every payday in all three accounts.

I learned the hard way that credit is dangerous when I was a student and lost a job and had to pay rent on a card. Even though my mother has always been in finance and told me never to rely on it. It is so easy to do so with the way credit was crammed down our throats a couple years ago.

*knock on wood* I am actually in the most financially secure time I have ever been in. Luckily my employer is cutting $$ by cutting things we do extra as a company like catering meetings, paying people to go to conferences, and the cutting things management gets to do/bonuses so that most all of us kept our jobs. The 'fat' they did trim was obvious and they even tried to relocate most of those people into different positions or add on to their duties.

I really feel for the people who are being affected hard by this though. :( I'm glad I clawed my way out of debt a year or two before this also. We liquidaded a lot of my boyfriends Star Wars stuff and it went for pretty much what we asked, which was kind of low, but not horribly low.

I have to say I will never use credit to buy anything other than a house again. My grandfather never did. I will just have to do with out things until I can afford to pay cash for them. And live within my means.

Luckily I have been able to learn to sew and do well painting rebel props as I've been able to sell and trade to feed my costuming and patch collecting habit mostly using that.

The whole crisis is interesting because everyone is holding onto their money, even as the currency gets weaker and weaker (a.k.a. takes more money to buy the same thing). The last time the dollar became extremely frail (Great Depression) people didn't want dollars, they wanted items that they could use.

If anyone is interested in a good read about economics, pick up "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy" by Richard J. Maybury, printed by Bluestocking Press. It gives you a really good grasp on what's happening in America (and the world) today.

Anyways, cheers everyone and good luck on selling your items, Alfredo!
A'den

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back