NEW BOBA BUILD (WOF TEMPLATES)

saludaranger

New Hunter
I have been patiently reading for 15 days! I am now a new member! :lol:

Well, my friends in Boba, I am building a new helmet using the WOF templates and bits and pieces from everyones elses build jobs. I appreciate all info you can give. Thanks to WOF & Antman expecially for all of your hard work. You (and the others from this site) have made us all excited about trying to do this ourselves.

So here is where I am:

I printed and cut out the WOF templates on thin matboard from my local craft store. I spent approx 8 dollars on two sheets of this cardboard. I traced and cut everything out. I put it all together using Antman's great tutorial. My helmet is not as clean as Antmans nor is the whole shape entirely perfect - although it is close enough for me.

I have bondo'ed the entire dome using Bondo Body Filler from the local Auto shop (another 10 bucks.) I have sanded and sanded and I have alot more sanding to do!
I have alot of sanding to do to get the dome right.

i also have prepared the "ears" as Antman did in his tutorial. He is a master. (I am merely the apprentice.)
So... whats next? Should I put some bondo along the cheek edges? Should I trim up the area under the mandible? Should I add bondo to the inside?

I am continuing to sand the dome and clean up edges. I need and appreciate any and all advice. Below is another pic, this one of both of my helmets that i am working on. The one on the left uses an old skateboarding helmet that fits me well - I thought I would just give it a try to see how it looked. I actually like the overall shape of that (left) helmet better (a little more slim) but the one on the right is my favorite (sine we have spent the last two weeks together, waiting until we could finally post a new thread!)

Please help a brother out! Whats next?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just re-bondo'ed the dome. It had too many rough patches and holes. I sanded it down again and am much happier with the look. Tomorrow I will add bondo to the seems to reinforce the mask and cheek areas. The ear piece may also get a little bondo to add some shape to it.

I will post pics tomorrow.

i stared my scratch build and stoped at the middle of the process and ending buying one from sarge .... i hope you go all the way ^_^

When you apply your bondo you should let it harden for a few minutes and (while it's still warm) then start rough shaping it with something like a 'Stanley SurForm Shaver' probably available at any home hardware store. I call it and other tools like it a 'cheese grater' cause that is pretty much what they do. It will save you a lot of work and a lot of sanding. Link below, it's less than $5 most anywhere.

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Produc...m_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase

-Aaron.

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it.

I will look for the tool you think will help. Shaping with cut up library cards get me into a very rough looking dome. Last night I found something at work with a bit of a curve and reshaped everything and then sanded again - I think you will see the results are smoother.

So, yeah. I am happier about the whole thing. I am going to work on it today. I will add bondo around the seems for strength. Sand it, sand it, sand it. Here is a question: SHOULD THE DOME SIT FLUSH TO THE BUCKET? OR SHOULD A RIDGE BE PRESENT? I will look at the other images on the site to see.
Again, thanks to all who stop by to look at this. The replies are very helpful.

saludaranger, there is a ridge between the dome and the rest of the bucket all the way around. About 1/8 of an inch or less I would venture to guess. Looks good so far, keep it up!

I see that ridge. I hope that I can get that right. Thanks for all the kind words. I will keep working! I am just filling in with bondo and sanding it all off.
Its certainly teaching me patience. I did a good bit today. I will post some tomorrow.

Another tip that can help you make a dome is to splatter-spray a dark color on to the dome. Just use some black primer or something similar so you get an even speckled effect over the whole dome. then you can lightly sand that paint off to reveal all the low spots on the dome and just fill those rather than try to shape the whole thing at once. Be sure to use something like a piece of foam or a block of wood as backing for your sand paper when you sand down the paint splatters. If you use the palm of your hand you wont be able to find the low spots very well.
-Aaron

Thanks. I like that tip a lot actually! I sprayed some black primer on the helmet and it really helped to outline all the imperfections. I am going to keep working on it.

Looks good to me so far, but be careful when you get to the mandibles, DONT CUT OUT the T Visor area until you get close to the end or it will warp (look at mine I need to fix it BIG TIME). Be careful and take your time with it, and remember that when you finish this one, you will become addicted :lol:. and make more. I'm getting ready to start a smaller 1 for my 8 year old. Good luck. Oh yea and WELCOME to TDH.

Hello Support Group... My name is Jay and I am addicted to helmets...
Hello Jay...

First off - thanks to all the folks replying to my posts... You are awesome!

here are some new pics. I have learned that there are many ways to build a good helmet... many techniques... many different materials...
I have been doing some sanding lately... I did a little black primer and then some more sanding... rinse and repeat.

What do you guys think about a spray on acrylic or spray on polyurethane? I want to get a good hard surface before I do some painting.
I need to cut my little triangles, finish the ear pieces and get it all together... Is it wrong to paint it more creatively first? Do you think that painting a traditional boba helmet first is important for street cred? Or can I just create my own character... Boba's lesser known stepbrother Pete!
Who knows the answers to these burning questions?

I am very excited about the whole thing. I am glad to be a part of this site.
PS I THINK WIZARD OF FLIGHT DESERVES AN AWARD. Is there an award for awesome contribution of the year? Decade? He deserves one. I hope that one day his eyes grace the pages of my post!

Thanks again for all the advice everybody!:cheers

Pete Fett is better known than you think, after a little more time on these boards you will find that out. If it is too expensive to build another bucket then I would say go Boba. On the other hand, if it isn't too expensive I say go Pete. It is nice to have a practice bucket for painting. Practice your art first, then go for the "Main man". By the way, looking good. I'm keeping my eye on this one.

It's really starting to look good now! I'm glad my advice helped a little. I envy you too because I haven't had any time to work on mine. Keep up the good work. By the way I dont really think you will need to seal it before painting, a good primer will be just fine.
-Aaron

Thanks thanks thanks...

The more I do the more I want to start over. Common? I bet.

The dome is pretty smooth. The cheeks are hard to get the way i want them.
I noticed that the cardboard is separated a bit from itself in places - the weakness of cardboard and sloppy sanding. Not cool.

I like the bondo work alot. Its really easy to use and looks cool once sanded.

Check this out:

i got a couple of dents and scratches in there - I know - but I am pretty happy for a first try.

I need to keep working on it (before I start another)
I also flex my skills with the paper- crafting. I have a R5 unit that is really coming along as well.

But anyway, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah to all. I will return with more in two weeks. I just finished building a house and i will be moving in on the 31st... so happy new year as well!:cheers

BIG UPDATE

I have been working on the helmet the last few days. I have smoothed and sanded and painted... got bored and decided to work on the cutout for the visor. I used a 4 dollar welder lens from a "discount tools" store called Harbor Freight.
I am pretty happy so far for a first time "bad nerves" build. I know that there is alot more to do... I have some of the ear pieces cut out and the antenna piece. I have placed the visor in the helmet - its just sitting there for photo purposes...
i fear the paint the most. None one piece of my helmet is perfect but altogether it sort of works. Thanks to WOF for such incredible templates - I butchered them and I still ended up with a worthy helmet for home use, ie: cutting onions, getting the mail, scaring the dog, midnight trips to taco bell.
I will keep working on it. Who knows!? It may end up ok!

I have been playing around with a couple of spray paint cans I had at the house. I am going out soon to buy the right ones I promise! I have used this build to learn the basics. The next helmet will be a little more precise. Its still so incredibly fun to build boba helmets - even if they arent painted "right" by the movie standards. No one I know really knows enough about the helmets to know if they are "right" or "wrong." Its been alot of fun. I am working on the ears this week.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back