Boba Fett Costume Continuity

Dman

New Hunter
How important is continuity to the 501st or even local garrisons? I see a mix of Fett versions on here quite a bit. Such as ESB damage on a lid with ROTJ kill stripes as pictured at the top of this forum. Or a ESB set up with a ROTJ blaster. So, any thoughts/facts on this?

I see a lot of Frankenfetts too. I also occasionally Frankenfett myself. I do have completely proper ROTJ (except the little black piece on my rangefinder) but I also have prepro brown gloves and a prepro sling gun I like to use occasionally. (I do plan on getting proper gauntlets for that eventually)

I think if its an event where it matters like LFL or whatever, then it might be important. But honestly, at run of the mill trooping events, no one really ever notices. They just know it's Fett.

They do however notice when I take the jet pack off. So I think you should always have one of those for approval.

Officially, you need to have a movie accurate costume. So an RotJ Fett with Prepro gloves should not be approved for Legion membership.

Lots of garrisons are more casual about things for normal, low profile events. If you go to a convention to hang out, you can do whatever you want. If you are marching in a parade with TV coverage, they may designate the event "Formal" and hold everyone to a higher standard.

So basically, "Frankenfett" won't get you into the Legion as long as your GML is doing his/her job (And the CTG folks know their stuff, so I'm sure they will be)

Just clearing up what I said, I did have to be completely ROTJ for approval. I just use the other stuff at low profile gigs where I just like to be different. You would need to be accurate to something for actual 501st approval.

But when we do Toys 4 Tots events and I wear my brown gloves and sling gun, no one cares. But yeah if I were doing something Formal I would wear proper gloves and gun.

I see troopers carrying improper weapons all the time at nonformal events. It would just depend on your situation.

At most events people don't know the difference. I don't know how many times I've been trooping as Boba and people in the crowd ask me "Are you Boba or Jango?" If they can't tell those two apart, they won't be able to tell you've got pre-pro parts on your ROTJ costume. ;)

Continuity? You meen like the red to blue to red to blue to red to blue Jodo Kast symbol? Heh, I love continuity. 8)

At most local events people have no idea if you are 501 approved or not

They are looking at vader or boba fett these are the two costumes most people can relate too

I was at one event and their was a tie pilot their and over half the people their kep caller him vader I guess it was because they are black in color like vader

I think there is a fine line between movie accurate/canon and going WAY to far. On the spot without photos, I doubt even Lucas would catch an ROTJ Fett with the ESB scratches. Should you weather the fett? hell yes, should a GML be analyzing down to the smallest scracth? IMO, no get the feeling of it right and have fun after all not every costumer has the skill or the money to pay someone else for that highly detailed of a job. As far as movie accuracy goes, wear as ESB helmet with a ROTJ suit, it was in the movies, put the rangefinder on the wrong side, wear it with the vest completely open, that was in a screen shot. If you wanted an ENTIRELY ESB movie accurate costume, then you all should be wearing your knee armor upside down.

I do like movie accuracy, but when people get denied over the fact that the scratches on their helmet are more ESB than ROTJ to me is going a bit far.

should a GML be analyzing down to the smallest scracth? IMO, no get the feeling of it right and have fun after all not every costumer has the skill or the money to pay someone else for that highly detailed of a job.

that's where i disagree... if someone doesn't have the time/money/talent to do the costume to the standards of the club, why should that person be made a member? boba is a HARD costume to pull off. if someone can't do it... there's nothing wrong with that. but "because it's hard" or "because it's expensive" shouldn't be enough of a reason to slide by.

now, to be fair... i would look at the whole suit on average and see if it matched up more than it didn't, if that made sense. if there's 1 or 2 scratches off, i wouldn't ding it. but if, say, you were missing one of the dents on the chest armor, that i would give pause over.

then again, i'm not a gml for the 501st. so thankfully my opinion means little :)

that's where i disagree... if someone doesn't have the time/money/talent to do the costume to the standards of the club, why should that person be made a member? boba is a HARD costume to pull off. if someone can't do it... there's nothing wrong with that. but "because it's hard" or "because it's expensive" shouldn't be enough of a reason to slide by.

now, to be fair... i would look at the whole suit on average and see if it matched up more than it didn't, if that made sense. if there's 1 or 2 scratches off, i wouldn't ding it. but if, say, you were missing one of the dents on the chest armor, that i would give pause over.

then again, i'm not a gml for the 501st. so thankfully my opinion means little :)

But at one point costumes that sucked were allowed.

I'm not going to sugarcoat this.

I've been to the 501st site, looked at the bounty hunters section and seen plenty of people with junk don post repaints that aren't accurate(at all) and star fortress parts (gun for example) that look nothing like what you guys are calling 'accurate'.

If at one point these costumes were allowed in...i don't think you can deny the entry for someone else who happened to come along after most of us 'knew better'

My opinion won't change. Even if you tell me "oh, that was when those people first got accepted, and now they upgraded to fett pride parts, or MOW, or bobamaker, or they got a marrow sun bucket...... it doesn't matter. Even if they are wearing the real suit busted straight out of the exhibit...they still were originally accepted into the 501st with a cr4ppy costume.

I will agree that the costume should be all from one movie, for the original acceptance. But in a non formal environment, pre pro gloves. sling guns. even a ROTJ blaster with ESB costume will not be noticed by fans....even some other 501st members if they've never studied boba.

do you know how many friends i have that i had to explain to for hours why i have different style boba props on display? rotj gauntlets and esb gauntlets.... different helmets...

and the fact that tie pilots will always be called darth vader. biker scouts stormtroopers.... and even boba fett, jango...

i'm just saying that the 501st should not be elitist full on. elitist section.. for the top notch costumes, but if i was a GML and somebody was missing the chest display or didnt have deep weathering on the bucket, or had the shin tools in the wrong pockets, or no blue and red rings on the knee darts,

i'd still let them in....i'd just help them fix up their costume after the fact.

people clearly put time in...maybe some could do more.. but it's a charity organization. not a real army.

this is all fake guys. some of us are 15 20 30 40 50 60. and we're all playing dress up.. sometimes i think that we do need to lighten up a bit

to me though the big thing is:
but it's a charity organization. not a real army.

it's not a charity organization either... it's a costuming club that does charity work.

i think if the 501st is a costuming club, it should have high standards, and should not be afraid to reject costumes that don't meet them.

but at the same time, i also don't think people should care if they get approved or denied by them or any other club. make what you want, do what you want... just don't expect others to change their standards to suit.

for instance: my rex isn't a 501st approved costume. it doesn't meet their specs. does that make it a bad suit? nope. am i going to change it to conform to their rules? nope. it doesn't matter to me... i built what i wanted to build, and it is what it is. i've never even submitted it, since i know it doesn't meet their spec, and i'm ok with that.

I have to agree with STG on this.

I am a new guy to costuming in general and all of this but I've done some reading on the 501st and have seen several threads on this very subject.

To me, this is very much like one of my favorite games, World of WarCraft. In that game, there are what we call "Hardcore" players and "casual" players. Hardcore players are like the 501st. They spend their lives perfecting their play, every nuance is calculated and practiced. The same is true of the 501st standards (from what I hear.). They like to be perfectionists.

The casual players aren't like that. They do their best, they have fun, but no one stays up until 6am practicing the same boss tactic. Likewise, the more casual costumers don't spend 600 hours with stencils tracing the weather patterns on an ESB helmet.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with either approach. I myself tend to be more the latter. The trick is that we must realize that our approach and preference may not coincide with that of people in the other group. I don't play with hardcore players in WoW because they don't want me and I don't want to do what they do.

The same goes for costuming. If the 501st wants to hold very high standards, that is their choice. Those who are like-minded will join and they will all have fun together. For those who are not as perfectionistic, it's important to realize that the costuming process is for fun and perhaps somewhere down the line, someone will put together a similar organization for more casual costumers. There's nothing wrong with that, it's a fine idea in fact.

The point of all this is, like was said above, to enjoy what you're doing and be okay with that. If you're DEAD set on 501st, you'll find the way to get there. If not, that's fine too. In the end, just enjoy your costuming endeavours.

That's all from me..

-Nyx

I can agree... still bugs me though to see some decent costumes turned down when I see costumes in the 501st that are clearly not accurate. I saw a Frankenfett with a green jumpsuit that was 501st approved. I personally think accuracy is the key, but the Fett costume has gone thru damage, different colors, knees upside down, etc... There's a lot of gray area as to what would be accurate. I think the 501st should be top notch costumes yet i see a ton of scouts with DPs heh... Maybe there should be a distinct set of "details" that every Fett costume should meet to be 501st approved... the catscratch on the helmet, dents, really noticeable weather marks, colors, etc... I know the biker scout forums have a list of things you need to have to be approved and then even further a list for a "lancer" quality costume. Im sure somewhere there's a set of standards but what if it was more defined or well known? Just my thought, either way, I want to put together the best Fett I can. heh

El1te

Well, all you have to do is to apply for membership in the 501st - it's not any worse than that. You'll be guided and get feedback if needed. The 501st are normal people just like me and you. It isn't freemasonry or anything.

Standards for costumes when it comes to clubs is something there will probably ALWAYS be an issue with. I can understand CB's mindset because of having been in the same situation with Mercs where we allowed in members with armor that would now not be allowed based on our standards. At the time it was necessary for us to gather enough interest in membership for growth. Once we reached a certain level, we could enact a set of standards because by then we had an appeal where people were looking for us.

Now, pretty much all of those early costumes have been upgraded to stellar sets. So CB's argument is valid from a certain point of view.

STG, your argument is also valid. If your going to say your a canon costume club that accepts "screen accurate" costumes, then you have to enforce that within your membership. Other wise, why have standards at all?

Much of this boils down to the fact the 501st and RL both allow costumes to be approved at the local chapter level, and when you do this you have to add "opinion" into the equation with standards to equal membership. While this takes work off the main governing body of the organization, each GML is different and is going to see a costume differently. Not every GML has a detailed knowledge of every 501st acceptable costume, and I think it's kinda outlandish to expect them to in a volunteer organization. As long as the acceptance processes for every member isn't centralized, then your going to continue to have costumes that some people find questionable.

Of course there are a few ways around this, but I don't plan on talking about them here. If your goal is to build the costume for yourself and not worry about it being within 501st Standards, then you don't have anything to worry about. =)

Interesting read. A lot of common scene written. I have not yet applied to the 501st for clearance, but intend to soon. With regard to the opinion problem, is a right to appeal in place?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back