Yellow weathering on armor

BountyHunter185

Active Hunter
Ok, I need to know what color/brand of paint everyone is using for the yellow weathering around the silver.
If anyone can help with what color, brand, or if there was a thread about it somewhere else that I don't know about;
It would be greatly appreciated. :)

go to your local hobby shop and pick up some testors zinc chromate.its in a small bottle and you could just brush it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. The testors zinc chromate with a little flat white sometimes works great.

Here's how mine turned out.

chest closeup.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. :)
I'll have to go and see if I can find the Testers zinc chromate at any of our stores.
Thanks. :)

Excalibur wrote:

Just wondering because it is not on any other part of his Suit/jet pack.
BACKPLATE
TN_Boba_Fett_202.GIF

COLLAR
TN_Boba_Fett_271.GIF

CODPIECE
TN_Boba_Fett_111.GIF

BUTTPLATE
TN_Boba_Fett_547.GIF

As you can see from these pics of the real suit, these yellow primered areas are on all of the green armor (minus the ESB gauntlets). If you don't like the yellow, then don't put it on your armor. But if you are going for screen accuracy, you gotta have it.

Screen accurate.. ye I know.

Do you think it's another layer of paint(original color) or sorta like a rust thing happening?

Funny this came up today. I just finished painting the yellow scoring on my armor. True, when you study it, it looks weird. I was saying to myself, this doesn't look right. But then I figure, when it is weathered and has dull coat, it will kick a$$!

I will post pics tomorrow.

ive read that a bottle of testors zinc chromate comes damn close.i have my bottle sitting in my closet when my armour is ready to be wheathered.

looks good to me but kinda seems like there is more yellow than silver i thought it was supposed to be the other way around, maybe im wrong.

i full paint first yellow ... then full green and later add the scratch with sand paper :D

i think the yellow(my thought) i an anticorrosive paint...
i mean the armor is made with metal so if you expose metal to the elements ... you know what happens so thats my teory :D

I think you're right. When we paint airplanes, we prime them with a type of self-etching, anticorrosive primer (*I* don't actually paint, so I don't know the proper names of the materials LOL. Dammit Jim, I'm an electrician, not a painter!) but I think it's a zinc something-or-other. Maybe that chromate stuff?

At any rate, it's just about that color. Even if the screen armor wasn't painted with the same type of primer, it looks as though they were trying to simulate exactly that.

Just my twopence. :)

Personally, I think the yellow is from the age of the outfit. Not yellowing like an old book, but green paint actually coming off. That's my theory.

I would have to agree with the anticorrosive theory

Pilot wrote:

I think you're right. When we paint airplanes, we prime them with a type of self-etching, anticorrosive primer (*I* don't actually paint, so I don't know the proper names of the materials LOL. Dammit Jim, I'm an electrician, not a painter!) but I think it's a zinc something-or-other. Maybe that chromate stuff?

At any rate, it's just about that color. Even if the screen armor wasn't painted with the same type of primer, it looks as though they were trying to simulate exactly that.

Just my twopence. :)

Wow, small world. Sup AE1, I'm an AM2 and was in VFA-87's 12C (Paint shop for you land lovers) for 3 years. The paint we used was a water soluable primer. The kit consisted of a can of pigment and that was it, you mixed what you needed with water. I can't remember the paint code or NSN, but it didn't have a specific color name.
HTH,
-Wes

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back