Nyx's Jango Gauntlets (Pic Intensive)

Nyx Mandalore

Jr Hunter
Alright, so yesterday I got my AMAZING Cruzer Gauntlet Kit (y) and I couldn't wait to get started on it today.

So, having not held a file in my hand since 8th grade shop class, I went out and bought a set of large files and a set of hobby files after work today. I immediately went to work on cleaning up the edges of one of the gauntlets and here is my progress.

Advice, tips, criticisms EXTREMELY welcome!

My main question is, how anal should I be about these edges? They're fiberglass gel coated and the gel seems to tend to glom together, especially at the edges so it is very difficult to file down. (This is especially visible on the rear view in the corners.) Any advice? Or am I trying too hard on a space that in reality, no one will ever see (as its jammed into your elbow all the time.) ??

Thanks!

Pics below. Enjoy. (Sorry the focus is bad in a couple of these. I was excited. I will try to do better next time.)

3082993279_959f45cefe.jpg

My new toys.

3082992853_b8896c853f.jpg

3083830348_a9e5b50db0.jpg

3083830502_20f0c5dfef.jpg

3083830432_824e71461f.jpg

And because I just had to see how it looks on my arm. :p
3082993201_6bcdb88fa8.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking.
-Nyx

Ok I couldn't stay away AND I found a better way to do this... at least some of it. (Haha helps to read Cruzer's instruction.) I pulled out the 60 grit sanding wheel for the dremel..

Now.. I had some trepidation about this as I have NEVER used a dremel before but...

I have decided this is the most awesome thing ever. Seriously. It was like watching Star Wars for the first time. Okay maybe not that good but you get the idea. :lol:

So here's some pics of the other clamshell parts. I did finish them mostly (a few more touch up spots yet) but i also messed up and managed to ding both bottom clamshells. I think these hsould sand out okay later though.

So here ya go:

best toy ever
3084182500_e62aa407ac.jpg

All the shells
3083344871_7b248ea601.jpg

3083344919_43bdd50cbf.jpg

3084182726_43d7e3b120.jpg

Wahh... :cry
3084182816_de89b75fe6.jpg

Anyway, that's good enough before i completely fill this thread with pics.

Please feel free to comment, critique, suggest better methods. (y) :)

Thanks,
-Nyx

Question: Does anyone have any tips for safely working with fiberglass? Grinding the gel makes me rather nervous even though I was wearing a fiberglass approved Painter's mask and safety goggles (from an old chem lab). But the powder goes everywhere with the dremel. I'm guessing I'll need to work outside from now on. Is the powder getting on my clothes a danger?

I've inhaled sulfuric acid before and know how bad it can be to get stuff in your lungs, etc. I very much want to avoid as many hazards while working with this stuff as possible. Thanks!

Looking good Nyx !

I just received a pair of gauntlets from Cruiser as well. It is difficult to explain how awesome these thing are. If I ever get home from business trips, I will have a chance to work on mine:angry.

I will be watching your progress with great interest !

Definitely work outside if you can with the Dremel and wear an old shirt you don't mind getting dusty. You'll be grinding down just resin because all of the cloth is cut perfectly for the shapes of the walls. Definitely follow my directions step by step if you're new to putting together "kit form" stuff. (y)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back