Mistakenly bought recasted stuff

Heatshock

Hunter
I started a similiar thread in FISD and was wondering wot opinions from other forums are:

now, my intention is not to kick off the old argument abt recasting.
I am wanting to ask for opinions on a rather specific part of this thorny subject

prior to a proper introduction to TDH and other similiar prop sites; I had, like I am sure many others before me, bought a few recasted items with the belief that it was a 'geuine' article off the Bay of Flea.

personally I have always thought that if you bought a product with PRIOR knowledge of its recasted nature, then its bad - thats pretty clear cut.
... but if it was bought unknowingly, I tend to treat this as acceptable. Others might disagree with me on this.

but wot do u do with recasted stuff (bought in ignorance) now that I know better? i mean it was a genuine mistake, and I did spend hard earned money on it. can I troop in it with pride? troop in it and use it as an example to newbies of wot NOT to do?

At the moment - I am up front abt the origins of the few items of recasted products, I am dead embarassed by it (esp.ly with a experienced and more knowlegable troopers). Certainly not using any recasted stuff for trooping. Also tend to use it as a focal point with newbies to discuss why its not good to buy recasts and direct people to original makers.

I guess I was wondering also - cos I recently sold my old recasted FX kit (finallly got my hands on a set of TE2!!), was upfront abt it to the buyer too, but to a lot of people outside the prop community price is usually the deciding factor. Do people think its ok to buy a known recasted item from another; esp.ly if all the info for upfront?

The other point I wanted more opinions on is - if u bought a recast unknowingly, learnt more abt the prop, cleaned it up, modded it to look more accurate - I am talking abt the recasted Mystery Helmets we see all the time appearing on the Bay - would casting THAT for others (not commericially mind you) be consider recasting?

again - not wanting this to devolve into a slinging match at recasters; I am tryin to be good, but sometimes the lines are very blurry (dont even get me started on TK land; yeesh, fan sculpts vs castings off original props - thats even more confusing)

Thanks in advance TDHers

Nate

Nate,

I think you are taking all of this way too seriously. You are almost looking at your pieces as some people look at children who are born out of wedlock... as if the children are evil or bad. They aren't. Neither are the pieces you bought. If you didn't know, you didn't know. There is no need for any shame. While recasting is frowned upon, a recast item is of no less value than any other piece and if set on a table amongst others, without being pointed out, no one would know the difference. You know about recast pieces now, so try not to buy anymore, but you shouldn't think poorly of the pieces you have! Enjoy them and wear them proudly!

Nate,

I think you are taking all of this way too seriously. You are almost looking at your pieces as some people look at children who are born out of wedlock... as if the children are evil or bad. They aren't. Neither are the pieces you bought. If you didn't know, you didn't know. There is no need for any shame. While recasting is frowned upon, a recast item is of no less value than any other piece and if set on a table amongst others, without being pointed out, no one would know the difference. You know about recast pieces now, so try not to buy anymore, but you shouldn't think poorly of the pieces you have! Enjoy them and wear them proudly!
amen, ^^^^

lol I really appreciate the sentiment guys. Art - I like u kids analogy.

guess its cos I've gotten to know some of the makers of fan-sculpts and I can see where they come from when they talk abt seeing some of their hard work having slicone poured all over em and 'stolen'

I guess this hobby does attract people with a degree of obsessive/compulsive disorder - I am now so paranoid that I tend to only buy from an original maker, trusted forum stalwarts or else check and check again abt stuff that I buy second hand.

aye - I do know wot u mean. At the end of the day I guess, this is a hobby largely based on the honour basis. At the moment I only have 2 items left in my collection that I am sure are recasts. Will work on em to bring em up to standard.

more opinions appreciated.

Nate

I understand Nate's concern. I have a pretty decent Fett suit, most of which was obtained here from reputable people. I bought my armor long before I was "in the know" Later I find out he was banned here for being a recaster. I see how much people hate recasting around here and have been a little embarrased about my armor. Like Art says, if you didn't know, you didn't know. I will probably upgrade someday anyway, but will wear it proudly in the meantime. Jason

i am in the same boat, i bought a ebay mystery helmet before i was in the know. i just plan to upgade later to a better helmet. you live and you learn.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back