ESB vs ROTJ Helmet

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
M

Migrate from As You Wish

Hey folkies-

As the title said, how do I know which is an ESB and which is a RoTJ? I'm getting slowly geared up to do an ESB suit, and the helm is the first piece I'm planning on getting done.

Tips and info would be greatly appreciated!

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
I'm just getting into this myself, but here's what little I know.
And please correct me if I'm wrong.

ESB: more pronounced flare at the bottom of the helmet
lighter color, more of a aquablue?
yellow bars on side of helmet

ROTJ:less or no flare at bottom of the helmet
more green I think
red bars on side of the helmet

I'm sure there are more differences, and some I've listed may
not be entirely correct, but someone has to get the ball rolling.

Hope I've helped,

Phil
TD128
Neon City Garrison
http://www.ezshots.com/members/mereel/

I think the increased flare on the ESB is due to the fact that it may be slightly larger than the ROTJ. There is a scene in ROTJ where Fett is on the Skiff and you see his helmet against the blue sky, and you can see that the helmet definitely has the bell shape, although less pronounced.

The smaller flare may also be due to poor molding. If you look at the simplistic (not in a pejorative sense) paint job of the ROTJ helmet in comparison to the highly detailed paint job of the ESB helmet, you kind of get the feeling they had to rush the production of the Fett suit/helmet, since most of the ESB suit was lost/stolen.

Also, Brak's Buddy pointed out to me if you look at pictures of the MOM helmet, ROTJ, and the Art of Star Wars helmet, ESB, that the ESB visor looks to be a dark green face sheild, while the ROTJ helmet is a pure black visor. In comparing the photo's you can definitely seen a greenish tint to the ESB visor. The information isn't a 100% conclusive. But from what other Fett experts have pointed out to me and from the pictures I have seen, I believe it to be highly probable.

Another significant difference is that the ESB helmet has a little more of a goldish/pewter hue on the range-finder ear-piece and it also has the yellow/black/white decal on the earpiece. The ROTJ helmet does not have decals anywhere.
Also, the left ESB ear-piece is about the same green color of the helmet, and it has a decal. The ROTJ left ear-piece is completely metal/silver. There may also be a difference in the material used for the left-ear piece. This is just speculation, but it is believed that the ROTJ ear-piece could be resin, while the ESB ear-piece is metal.

On the back of the helmet where the keyholes are present, the ESB helmet does not have two round-like objects protruding from the circuit board behind the keyholes. The ROTJ helmet has two such objects coming out of the last two keyholes. (My memory is a little fuzzy on the keyholes right now, I may have this backward. If so, correct away!)

There is also a difference between the small arrows on the front of the helmet. I believe the right arrow on the ROTJ is colored red, while the ESB helmet has no color on the either arrow.

Of course the paint and weathering is different. The ESB helmet is an intriguing shade of a lightish green that looks blueish is some light and darker in others. This maybe be due to a greyish misting of the helmet. The ROTJ helmet is a darker green that pretty much stays a constant hue depsite lighting. The cheek arches are also much darker on the ESB. They are almost black with touches of grey and indigo, although the hue varies in certain photos. The ROTJ cheecks are lighter having an almost spruce green/aquamarine hue them. The ROTJ red around the visor also has more brown in it than the ESB visor red, which is a darker burgandy-like red.

Ummm, that's all I can think of for now. I'll see if anything else comes to mind.

hehehehhe.....:D I've learned A LOT from Brak and other hard-core board memebers.

Technically, you aren't breaking any big rules with the ESB helmet and the ROTJ suit. That combo was featured in the ROTJ SE. And it is probably the only way, so far, that you could get a 99.9% accurate suit and the ESB helmet. If you go all out ESB, be prepared for "artistic liberties." I personally wouldn't mix and match- I like the ESB scheme as a whole, and I don't really count the SE of the original trilogy. However, I could not discount the combo because it did appear in the film. So if that is what you have, go for it!! Have your cake and and eat it too!!

Can any of you say if there is much difference in the domes of the ESB and ROTJ helms? In particular, in their profiles. Reason I'm asking is that I have got a really good side shot from Brak's CD - Picture # Boba Fett 016 - which is I think the ROTJ version, but I would like one dead-on of the side of the ESB version. Haven't found one on the CD yet.

I've managed to draw a pretty close profile with my CAD programme, and I've pretty much finished the plans for the ESB base - guesstimating and measuring heaps of pictures. I'd post them, but haven't got picture hosting capabilities - although Max Plague has got some of the plans as JPGs.

My plan is to make the lower part in styrene sheet over an MDF frame, which looks like it'll work OK, with the dome made out of clay - but I need the ESB profiles to do that part. Hopefully I can get one of the local fibreglassers to mould it for me.

Any thoughts on the differences between the two domes?

esbside1.jpg

ESB

That is an interesting question. Off the top of my head, I would say the domes of the ROTJ and the ESB are similar. The only difference I could think of is that the helmet may be a tad smaller over-all than the ESB.

On the CD there are plenty of side shots of both the ROTJ and ESB. Check out Boba Fett/exhibits.....and then check the various AOSW and MOM pics.

Does anyone have a picture showing the difference between esb helmet and rotj i am kinda new to prop making and i just ordered a fiberglass helmet and he asked me which one i wanted any help would be great

slave1117a wrote:

Does anyone have a picture showing the difference between esb helmet and rotj i am kinda new to prop making and i just ordered a fiberglass helmet and he asked me which one i wanted any help would be great

Go here: http://bobafettcdref.cjb.net/ for every Fett pic known to man! The first few pages are the ROTJ Helmet then around 500 or so there's pics of the ESB helmet.

Good Luck!

-Sarge

RotJ.......................ESB
TN_Boba_Fett_119.GIF
TN_Boba_Fett_555.GIF

TN_Boba_Fett_121.GIF
TN_Boba_Fett_561.GIF

TN_Boba_Fett_124.GIF
TN_Boba_Fett_551.GIF

TN_Boba_Fett_134.GIF
TN_Boba_Fett_699.GIF

Without going into the discussion of overall shape, size, or flare, the cosmetic differences include similar but different paint schemes, battle damage, and markings. Notice that the RotJ stripes are a reddish-orange while the ESB stripes are yellow, as well as the RotJ helmet doesn't have decals on either earpiece.

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back