Mand'alor the Uniter. V3.0

Honestly, it's not much different than making one out of sintra or think plastic. Cut, bend, goop and JBweld. Thats pretty much the entire process. This is MUCH easier than making armor. It's only taken me like 2 weeks of total work time to get this far.

You can't really weld metal this thin. I'm using a mix of steel and aluminum, and it's fairly think so I can bend it with pliers and a good vice.

I've used my best pair of tin snips to cut all the pieces out, so you only need a dremel to grind down some edges.

Welp, after ALOT of thought...I had an epiphany yesterday as to how I was going to make my canisters. One thing that IMHO is a big difference when working with metal in regards to plastic or cardboard is that there really isn't much room for measurement problems. Many times for the smaller parts I have to fly by the seat of my pants and measure as I go so that everything fits perfectly...I mean this is metal, you can't just take a heat gun to it.

So I had some problems with the original canister templates that came with Skips jango templates, they were just to big for the wholes I had. Lastnight at my girlfriend's place...I had a light bulb go off in my head. Monster energy drink cans!!! The big ones with the twist tops, they should be about the perfect size, and if not the aluminum is thin enough to easily manipulate so that there's no damage to either the base or the can.

So, not only do I have my canisters now...but with the screw-off tops I now have a nice way to take the nozzles and cones off the pack for storage/travel. Pretty nifty eh?

DSC00090.jpg

Thats our Mandalor, Always flying by the seat of his pants.LOL

Great work Boss, I'll have to save up for a set when you start makeing them.
Will follow this with interest....... I need a jet pack for my next build.

Great!! Nice idea too with the nozzles and cones. ;) You tried my templates for this? Thanks for giving them a go buddy? Are mine or Alans templates being used for the main pack build?? Or are you going from scratch?

WOW! Thanks for the vote of confidence buddy! I appreciate it. I was super interested in this before but now I think I'll be sat here hitting F5 every 5 seconds to check for updates! LOL!

I'm really pleased they're working out for you boss. ;)

this is shaping up really really well. I love that feeling when you've been working on a problem for your costume and the answer just comes out of nowhere

this is shaping up really really well. I love that feeling when you've been working on a problem for your costume and the answer just comes out of nowhere

Well, the tank problem was really a very annoying problem because I knew at first that a normal can may not be strong enough to hold a cone...especially when high pressure gas is coming out of it. Those Monster drink cans are pretty stout on the top, and the twist off lids are solid aluminum. So I can basically build the rocket cone around that and go from there.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'll post more pics as I make'em. I'm cutting out helmet patterns now. =D

I just like how the screw tops make it easy to break down the exposed parts for packing. Since this thing will be making many jaunts around the country...I need to make sure it stores better than my last one.

My problem right now is figuring out how I'm going to do the thruster cones. I have an actual dismantled RPG that will be used to make the rocket (either I'll use it to make a CC rocket or if it's not to heavy I'll just use it.)...so no worries with the top. Just the thrusters that have me stumped currently.

I'll be posting some pictures of the thrusters tonight. I've had to make them out of 2 halves, roll and dish the proper curve into them. Each half was put together using a brace of steel on the inside of each seam. Currently I have JBweld hardening over the seams so I can sand it down flush. Now I just gotta worry about connecting them so the gas tubing fits up to'em.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back