Mand'alor the Uniter. V3.0

NovallTalon

Well-Known Hunter
Winter is here for me, so I usually spend it down in my shop working on armor or at the forge working on a knife. Ever since I finished my 2.0 armor that most people have seen me in over the last few months...the only thing I can think about is the next set and making it better. So, as I do on Mercs I'll be posting a work log here also.

This set of armor is very special to me, because it will encompass every ounce of skill I have in metalwork and electonics. I'm sure I'll be learning some new tricks and techniques as I put it together...as you just can't know it all. For all intents and purposes, this is also my last personal set of armor for hopefully many years as I begin working on sets to sell.

I'm installing quite a few new innovations that I've been working on over the last year. A working RF, compressed jet-firing JP, and modular armor system are the three big projects that go into this set. Many future upgrades are planned, and with the nature of this build there will be no need to replace an entire set, just add on. =)

So, lets start with the Jet Pack. Firstly, I used Skupilkinson's JP patterns for a Jango arena pack. I've always loved the arena pack because of it's more sleek look. Now there will be quite a few customizations to the pack itself before the internals are even installed. Pictures are in sequence of order, with the final picture being acompairison of it next to my modified Boba fiberglass pack. I still have the center strut to add to the ouside of the canister as well as a couple small parts before the fuel canisters can be added.

The metals used are 26gu plate steel for the base, top, bottom and outer fuel canister holders. 25gu aluminum for everything else to keep it light. At this point it weighs about 5oz less than my fiber pack, and I don't expect the weight to be that much more in it's blank state. Once the NOS jets and canister are added, I expect it to put on a few pounds. The goal of this pack is not to *fire* but to blow out 2 jets of N20 gas illuminated by 2 ultra-bright red LED's for a working effect. Anyone worried about N20 shouldn't as it's a stable inert gas. =)

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00080.JPG

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00084.JPG

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

Well this is odd?I just started back on my metal pack also, after a little hiatus.We must be on the same wavelength.lolol
Lookin awesome so far bro.

Well this is odd?I just started back on my metal pack also, after a little hiatus.We must be on the same wavelength.lolol
Lookin awesome so far bro.

:cheers

Took me 2 weeks to get this much done. Just found out my cousin down the street has an industrial sized lathe...so guess what I'll be doing? =D

It's actually pretty tough. It fell off my workbench the other night and didn't get so much as a scratch on it. The support system I built into it really helps alot, and IMHO it's much more durable than a fiberglass pack. I wouldn't break a sweat if it fell down a flight of stairs, however my fiber pack would be completely obliterated I'm sure if it did the same.

I could have went with a thicker metal, but the back plate just won't bend properly if the metal is any thicker...it's perfectly contoured at 26gu. You also have to take into account that metal doesn't come together as easy as plastic when your cutting these piece out. Any imperfections have been filled in with JB weld for maximum hold, as I am trying very hard to keep bondo from adding weight. The N2O system is going to be heavy, probably pushing the pack to 10lbs or more. That will also be removable though. Thanks for the words guys, I'll be starting on my new helmet this month also! =D

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. this is awesome!!!:love I want one!!!

Are you welding the pack together, or cold welding it with JB weld?

Also, are Skip's templates on here somewhere, or would I need to get them from him?

Can't wait to see this finished!!! Post tons of pics, please!!!
A'den

Goop with JB weld on the seams for added strength and as filler. No need for a hot weld using both those, it's tough as nails.

You can find the papakura template at the bottom of the Mercs tutorial/template library, but you'll need the papakura program (free download, just google papakura) to view and print it out.

Mandalorian Mercs Tutorial Library

I'm putting together a metal helmet of my own design for this set. It will have some similarities to the MS custom I use now as well as some traditional changed (RF moved back to the right side) and some designs of my own creation. =)

Here's the pack all sealed up at this point. Working on the canisters and missile ring at the top currently. Have the ring on in this photo to get a good bearing on how it's gonna sit.

DSC00089.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back