YELLOW/ORANGEISH DOME SCUFFS

FettDad

Active Hunter
hey guys, almost done with the mystery lid i am painting, and needed to know what the color of the orange/yellow scuff marks are on the dome of the helmet....? any clues, and how do you guys paint those on? thanks for the help!! :):cheers

If you're talking about the greasy-looking marks, I think that Eric (SuperJedi) uses inks to accomplish that. I could be wrong, but from his tutorials, it seems to be correct.

Hey, my ears are burning! :lol:
Yes, I use inks combined with pastels to get those greasy stains on the dome. I like the way they look and add them to my paint jobs.
My first step is to use some brown pastels to put in the "background" of the stains. This gives them more of a diffuse base, like they've faded over time. For the inking I've used 2 different kinds and found that both work equally well; Citadel, and Game inks. I mix a sepia-brown with yellow until it kind of takes on a fresh motor oil color. Then I dry brush it on using a Microbrush.
Inks are much thinner and color-saturated than paints, so if you're not familiar with using them, practice on a piece of scrap first!
I had a scrap of plastic painted with the dome green, and I tried a couple different ways of applying the inks. If you decide to try this method, use a light hand and let the color build up slowly.
Happy to answer any questions. (y)

that is what i was looking for...last question...where do you find these inks? thanks so much fellas, its that last little detail that makes the paintjob go so much further...(y):cheers

I used oil pastels for this detail, burnt ochre and yellow to be exact, I just rubbed the point of the pastel in one spot and then lightly smudged it with my finger, it creates a nice effect (y)

A lot of gaming stores carry Citadel paints and supplies. Look for places that sell the Warhammer stuff. They're a little more expensive than the Game inks, but they will last forever!
Oil pastels? Hmm. . . sounds like it would give pretty much the same effect. I may have to experiment with yet another medium. :)
And yes, Citadel and Game are the brand names.

A lot of gaming stores carry Citadel paints and supplies. Look for places that sell the Warhammer stuff. They're a little more expensive than the Game inks, but they will last forever!
Oil pastels? Hmm. . . sounds like it would give pretty much the same effect. I may have to experiment with yet another medium. :)
And yes, Citadel and Game are the brand names.

Yeah I had good results with my FPH, it was pretty much a do or die, I thought what the heck! Luckily for me I think it worked :lol:

Try out Floquil Rust. It's the yellow orange you're looking for. The paint is already thinned and ready to be applied topically, i.e. it lays down beautifully!

Good Luck!

-Ryan

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back