Generic Mando Lid

Gypsyboy

Active Hunter
Hey all. Some of you who are on the Mando Mercs (everybody sing! mando, mando mercs... I want to be a mando merc.... sorry, that goes through my head every time I say or think "mando merc") will have seen my post about my WIP generic mando helmet specifically designed for modding.

I took a casting like this one from my Boba mold -

FettCasting005.jpg

and got to work filling, sanding, reshaping wobbles, etc. The below pics represent where I was a few days ago. I need to get more pics.

FettCasting012.jpg

FettCasting013.jpg

(excuse me if I make mistakes while typing, my daughter, who is 4, is humming Darth Vader's theme here beside me and making me laugh LOL)

Anyway, the casting was kinda wobbly so I had to do some work on it (not as bad as it looks in the pic actually), and I wanted to make a few slight adjustments to over all shape.

I have little more work to do on the surface and I will put it aside for molding. The idea is that this will be a generic mando lid with the visor and keyhole vent both easily changeable. The classic "T" will only be scored onto the surface of the mandibles, but the line can be filled quickly if a different visor shape is wanted. I haven't yet decided if I want to do the same with the keyhole vent in the back.

I will keep the molds for the three earpieces I have, but the idea is that the ear surfaces on the generic lid will lend themselves to having a variety of custom doo-dads put on there. If I do get rid of the keyholes on the modded noggin, I will also make a mold for that part, which can easily be installed by cutting out the "hatch" molded into the back of the helmet.

Well, I've done more work on this, but the pics don't really show that. It's down to surface refinement now. I think I've decided I won't fill the vent at the back after all. It is probably left there more often than not when modding anyway, and it adds strength to the casting.

I just need to put the new "turn signals" (or "fastforward/rewind buttons, as I call them) on the forehead, then I'll finish up the surface and put it aside till the next time I get some silicone.

FettCasting017.jpg

FettCasting016.jpg

Thanks guys. I have some silicone on the way, but it may only be enough for my RotJ Vader helmet. I don't know yet if there will be enough for that and the mando lid as well. This project may or may not take longer than I expected.

The surface work is all just details now. Agreeable weather to work outdoors in (stinky putty and paint and such) is the biggest problem now, with winter setting in. Anyway, as always, I'll update as I get more going on it.

Any updates? PS, LOVE THE SNOW in the back ground, can you post a few shots of it for me? I miss the snow :lol:
Do you plan on selling kits?

You like the snow? You can have it. Come get it by the truckloads! Take as much as you like. I'll help you shovel the stuff onto the truck. :lol:

I do plan on selling kits actually. They will start out pretty simple, with basically just the boba/jango style ears for accessories, but I plan to add other parts too. Someone suggested making a clone-type fin for it, which I really like the idea of. Any extras I make for it would just fit into place and be held on with polyurethane glue (Elmers makes a very strong p'thane glue called Ultimate Glue) or little screws or something.

I gotta get my Vader RotJ helmet molds done before I can do much else with this one though. I almost had my silicone yesterday, but there was a rather annoying problem... you see, there was customs money due, which I was not expecting, and I didn't have it at the door for the delivery person. So, she said she would take it to the nearest post office for me to pick up later. Fine. No problem. Well, it turns out that she put the wrong code tag on my box, AND it wasn't at the PO anyway when I went to get it!!! GRRR!! It better show up today!!!

Any updates? PS, LOVE THE SNOW in the back ground, can you post a few shots of it for me? I miss the snow :lol:
Do you plan on selling kits?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back