starting a scratch build

slimguy379

Jr Hunter
ok well, lately i want to do a new scratch build. now ill use car stock and put it in the printer so now re-copying is required. from there i will fiberglass the inside to sturdy it. now has any one done this with fiberglass, and a scratch build? also, from there i would like to make a resin mold of the newly fiberglassed helmet. are there any tutorials? any if i sold them in your guys' opinion, would it be worth it? also if i made duplicates, would i beable to paint it as jangos helmet and have it considered to be close to a replica? btw truely whats the difference between bobas and jangos, besides the, dent uneven brow, and other insignificant things as such? i think thats enough questions for now.... much appreciated Slimguy379:cheers

It would be cool to just print the templates directly on the card stock, but I wonder how the curvature will be for the shell where you have to tape the pieces together?

I thought about doing a cheap budget scratch-build using cardboard from cereal boxes, but had the same questions about piecing the shell together.

well that was my question, ( well one of them)... could you use a less sturdy cardboard such as the cereal boxes then make them sturdier with the fiberglass?

Yeah, if it were to be done with cereal boxes, fiberglassing it would be my approach as well. Would be interesting to try it. For now I decided to use 5 gallon paint buckets, as they are just the right size for the templates at full size. So far it is working pretty well. Once I finish, I may try making a kid size helmet using some kind of card stock.

wow sounds interesting, i did the same thing... just with a trash can... your helmet must be sturdy up to ying yang. did you use the top or bottom, it narrows towards the bottom. maybe pics or a tutorial?

I've no doubt that a thinner card would work. It just you would have to deal with extra flexibility.

And I imagine you'll run into a problem where more fibreglass will give more rigidity but also too much won't be able to be supported by the thin card and it may loose shape.

Y not just use a thicker card.

copying out the templtes doesn't take that long.

wow sounds interesting, i did the same thing... just with a trash can... your helmet must be sturdy up to ying yang. did you use the top or bottom, it narrows towards the bottom. maybe pics or a tutorial?

Yeah, I'm taking pictures, and plan to post a tutorial once I am able to start new threads. I wrapped the template around the bucket at the widest part of the bucket (bottom of helmet closest to the top of the bucket, and traced it with a sharpie. I used a hack saw to cut off the reinforcing rings at the top of the bucket. Then I used some snips to cut it out, very carefully of course. The snips give a pretty clean cut, but I also sanded the edges to remove any rough spots.

I just finished building the dome, next step will be either bondo or working on the cheeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have started my scratch build using 'priority mail' envelopes. I plan on 'glassing it on the outside then using bond for smoothness and detail. Let's see if I can put up a few pics of the start...

I will do my own thread soon, dont want to hijack your's:D
my thread is up, don't know how to link it here, just look at my profile, it's the only thread I have started so far.

FILE0012.JPG

FILE0013.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
well there are some rugged cardstock... i'll look into it and give an update

I've started mine using 1mm matting board, should be available at a craft store like Michael's or A.C. Moore (I got mine at ACM) or any shop that does picture framing work. It was about $5 for a piece about 4 feet square. It's pretty rugged stuff, but still bends where and when you need it to without too much fuss. Might be worth a shot to see if anyone near you carries it. :)

Thats a good idea, theres a Michaels a few miles from my place. I'll start my bucket over, just discovered it's a little tight for glasses, need an extra 1/2 inch or so in mine.
Got any pics yet slimeguy?

Hi all I just started my fett helm with the w-o-f templates I used the cereal box type cardboard it works well.I did use two wooden shishkabob skewers to brace along the mandables all hot glued together best bet is to cut the bottom template like the dome template and attach the bottom of the helm to it to make more rigid helps align the checks also.ill start my thread with pics soon as I hhijack wifes camera and computer :)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back