HELP WITH UK PAINT COLOURS

markyt1

New Hunter
Hi there

Im about to start painting an ESB helmet and have been scouring these forums for hints/tip/advice and feel that with the wealth of info here, its time to have a go myself.

Are there any UK guys here that have painted using spray paints and if so what colours did you use. Any help would be great, it seems that there is a wider range of paints available for out brothers in the USA and that were slightly limited in whats available in the UK.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
ESB HUMBROL COLOUR LIST
-Silver: 11
-Base grey all over helmet: 79
-Light grey in dent?: 106
-Upper cheeks: Black 33
-Dome and cheeks: Green 78
-Red on mandibles and trim: 73
-Purple on mand. and trim: 73+104
-Back of helmet: Cream/Green: 28+103 / 76+96
-L/H ear: Red/ Grey/ Green: 60/ 28/ 78+159
-Kill stripes: Yellow 154, fade to Orange 82 on
back.(very slight fade)
-Black marks by kill stripes:62+33 mixed whilst
painting on with 00 brush.
-R/H ear: Sand 94 (or 93 for a duller colour)
-Light blue/Grey all over helmet: 147
-Weathering: Splatters/misting, very thin mix applied
with airbrush with low pressure and flicked from
cotton bud: Black 33/Grey 79/Beige 103/ Brown 62.
-Glue blobs(applied in layers) and general
discolouration all over helmet using brush and cotton
bud depending on required effect: Windsor and Newton
ink: Sunshine Yellow.
-Scuffs: Black 33/ white 34: use 00 dry brush on.
-Putty crack repair: 28 + 94 mixed while painting on
-L/H cheek grey area near L/H ear slightly green:
79+(76+96: back of helmet colour)
-sand coloured grime on top of brow and in arrows:
94 thinned with spirit applied with small ****** brush, dabbed with rag

Yeah basically what TF said (y) Are you using an airbrush? If you are shoot me a PM as I have quite a few ESB colours left over from when I painted my helmet, if you want them they are yours

Sorry to high-jack a little, but do anyone know the equivalents for the Vallejo line of paints as those are the only ones I have access to here?

Sorry to high-jack a little, but do anyone know the equivalents for the Vallejo line of paints as those are the only ones I have access to here?

Those would be my mediums of choice. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it as well.

Not sure about the majority but both Panzer Olive Green and German Field Green are available under the same name, I used the POG on my paint up of my old FPH (y)

Not sure about the majority but both Panzer Olive Green and German Field Green are available under the same name, I used the POG on my paint up of my old FPH (y)
Yes, those two I could find pretty easy... though... with any company it is uncertain whether the color actually matches the Humbrol equivalents.

But thanks! :cheers

I have been looking at paints that are available in the UK. I think im wanting to use spray paints to do the larger areas of my lid. Im have 2 lids that im wanting to paint 1 in esb colours and the other in rtoj colours. Im starting with the rtoj first as its less complicated and i want a bit of practice plus im a total newbie to this.

Im finding it hard to colour match but im thinking about the tamiya range that come in tins. Im looking for a bit of input as to what colour to use for the rtoj first. If anyone has a min have a look at the couple of links and i would apprecite some guidance.

http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=8_89999101

http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/tamiyapaintcharts.php

Thanks muchly

Bear in mind that the tamiya sprays are mostly gloss colours, I found some colours that I am going to send your way if you are still interested, sending a PM now (y) (they are ESB colours BTW)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back