Darth Bane, Full Orbalisk armour

Truly amazing work. I remember seeing some of your stuff first hand back at Celebration 3. I can only imagine how awesome this looks in person.

Sabre Saavy

Good morning,

When I first started this project, I contacted a man I met at Dragon*Con with great interest about his new founded company's super-bright LED blades. (At the tyme electroluminescent wire blades were in favour--yes I am that olde.) I wanted to know if he could create a violet blade. He thought it possible and dove right into making a full hilt, based on visual references offered in comic Jedi vs. Sith;
71376947.jpg

I had not intended on having someone else make my sabre, let alone after the comic version, but the vender's excitement won me over. At the very least my sense of self dictated that I supply a technical illustration;
DarthBaneSabre1.jpg

He promised a well crafted prop, and nearly two years later, his team delivered;
BaneSabreI01.jpg

Soon you will have to do a recreation of his lightsaber
Properly, I will have to design and construct my own sabre. A curved hilt. And I did design a curved hilt sabre--YEARS before Drew Karpyshyn's Darth Bane triology. I do my research. The first short short story to describe this character "Bane of the Sith", SW Gamer Issue 3, 2001, detailed a curved hilt sabre. From my continued reasearch, the design I came up with in 2006 is still unique amoungst all known lightsabre designs, canon or otherwise. For this reason, I continue to keep the design close to my chest until I have finished the prop.

My first sabre design (created in 2002) seems to have influenced a few others;
TCE02_sabre04.jpg

I will also be making a specific holocron for my Darth Bane, a planned in improvement on my first holocron of 2002;
TCE02_Boda_Baas07.jpg

I don't have a lot of money. But I do have tyme and will. Eventually this suit will be complete, and then (I hope) it will really shine.
26538_416001749622_633079622_5252896_5845756_n.jpg

(Might even submit it to the 501st--but hear their Legion Membership Officer is a tight-*** when comes to approving new Expanded Universe costumes.)

Be well,
Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Job, Thomas! In all the confusion, I didn't get a chance to congratulate you after the contest. (I'm the Bossk guy who won the "Best Star Wars Villain" category. It was a pleasure meeting you at C-V and "hats off" to creating such a unique costume.

Thomas, just a word of encouragement, if you want to make it into the 501st, all you have to do is have some reference material that outlines the whole outfit and then submit the pics. I can try to help you in any way if you would like. my email is darththaddius@gmail.com

Thomas, this one is AWESOME and super creepy! Reminiscent of the Dracula armor from from Bram Stoker's Dracula!

Orbalisk_Fitting_2009_by_TheCloneEmperor.jpg

Darth Bane, Topless

Dear Bossk, I too was very impressed with your work. Back in the day, I was more stoked to receive my Bossk mail-away figure than*gasp*my Boba Fett.

Thank you Art for the observations. I thought of your work as I improvised lighting to go with my ancient mid-range second generation digital camera.

Thomas, just a word of encouragement, if you want to make it into the 501st, all you have to do is have some reference material that outlines the whole outfit and then submit the pics. I can try to help you in any way if you would like. my email is darththaddius@gmail.com

I might try out for the 501st with this costume. But as I said before I understand the guy in charge of Legion approvals is a real SOB. Very hard to please.

In the meantyme, I have a couple more nice shots to share, this tyme from Wizard World Chicago. I forgot part of the cape, so I decided to go it topless;
Darth_Bane__Topless_MMX_VIII_A_by_TheCloneEmperor.jpg

Darth_Bane__MMX_VIII_by_TheCloneEmperor.jpg

Be well,
Thomas

Dear Bossk, I too was very impressed with your work. Back in the day, I was more stoked to receive my Bossk mail-away figure than*gasp*my Boba Fett.

Thank you Art for the observations. I thought of your work as I improvised lighting to go with my ancient mid-range second generation digital camera.

I might try out for the 501st with this costume. But as I said before I understand the guy in charge of Legion approvals is a real SOB. Very hard to please.

In the meantyme, I have a couple more nice shots to share, this tyme from Wizard World Chicago. I forgot part of the cape, so I decided to go it topless;
Darth_Bane__Topless_MMX_VIII_A_by_TheCloneEmperor.jpg

Darth_Bane__MMX_VIII_by_TheCloneEmperor.jpg

Be well,
Thomas

I dont think he realizes that you are the officer in charge of approvals

Thank you kindly.
darth_bane__mmx_rs_by_thecloneemperor-d31yr25.jpg

Still working on this suit. In this image, I am wearing a new second rebato (big colar.) I am still not 100% happy with the look, but the suit is "nearing" completion.
One day.

Be well,
Thomas

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back