Scale / Realistic Helmet Interiors Redux

Stormrider

Well-Known Hunter
Ive made about 10-15 sets of these. The molds are about shot now.

Im going to keep the sides, and brown pieces the same as they are.

Ive added a MQ that can go on the back of the keyslot in rubber.

Im going to redo the top piece, into something MUCH more techy/starwarsy looking. Something that fully cushions the dome. As well as a few more 'greeble' pieces for the inside.

The 'speed' at which I complete this task, depends on who would be interested.

A new top center piece would run $20 ish, and it will be _really_ cool. It will be a star shaped piece, that goes out in all directions with electronics and pads.

A full kit would be roughly the same +/- $10 because of the new piece and the MQ.

Ive also started the models for the 'riddell' version. But while marrow suns were all foam, mine will be rubber coated foam again. Which will be high detail and should never wear.

The model will need to be done before I have surgery on the 19th. Or it will have to wait till january. So if theres any changes any of you would like to see in V3, please chime in and let me know.

Thanks
Mason

The top center would be $10 - $20 ish. No more. Depending on the size/shape it ends up.

Its going to be roughly as much foam/rubber as the two side ears and gear. But sort of a padding / electronic 'star' that fills more space.

I think these helmet kits look great, but they just dont fill enough space.

A new kit with MQ will probably be $85

I'd be interested if, in most people's opinion, the kit still allows you to troop in it. I only have my trooping helmet. I have the MR Fett and may put the kit in there as well.

if theres any changes any of you would like to see in V3, please chime in and let me know.

The sets that I've seen look really great, and a really nice finishing touch.

When I had my mini Riddell helmet, I was thinking about the rest of the interior, and how the average fiberglass/resin helmet interior is usually pretty rough, with the exception of interior kits like this. I wonder if you could make additional flat surface tiles or something (kind of like death star surface texture) that could line the remaining interior surfaces, at least on on the parts that aren't the dome. Kind of in the spirit of Vader Reveal helmets.

building_the_base_1_large.jpg

Absolutely. ^^ Thats kind of my goal. The problem is that its a concave surface. so the pieces have to flex without dimpling. And they are all different size, so I cant factor in the dome exactly. But you hit the nail on the head for what im thinking.

Ill do a 3ds max example today to show what I mean.

What exactly is the pic above Is it a cubed piece that goes in the helmet? How big is it?

Absolutely. ^^ Thats kind of my goal. The problem is that its a concave surface. so the pieces have to flex without dimpling. And they are all different size, so I cant factor in the dome exactly. But you hit the nail on the head for what im thinking.

Ill do a 3ds max example today to show what I mean.

What exactly is the pic above Is it a cubed piece that goes in the helmet? How big is it?

The picture above is something I found doing a Google search for Death Star tile. Like that level of detail in may 1 or 2 inch repeating squares, or something. You get what I'm saying though, just some inner panel details that could be inset in the smooth spaces between the kit pieces in strips or squares, with techy details like the hull of the Slave One or Millenium Falcon.

I think thats a great idea CD. Once this piece im on is out of the mold, im going to sit and figure out what id need to do to do that. I can pour it in really soft rubber, and it could be actually glued all around the rear. Cut to fit in cheeks. Forehead etc.

What would be even cooler is if it had a 'beveled inlay' for my 'foam electronics' to fit into.

I wish helmet interior sizes were closer to 'standardized.

I was thinking of a top piece similar to the ridell pieces for the back and brow. Take a look at the inside of a football or hockey helmet. I wouldn't think the top would be real techy, more designed to fit snug and keep the helmet in place and pad the noggin for hand to hand combat type stuff.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back