Is there a definitive "off-the-shelf" paint color guide?

Fetthunter

Well-Known Hunter
Has anyone ever compiled a definitive "off-the-shelf" (Krylon, Rust-O-Leum, etc.) paint color guide for ESB and ROTJ helmets?

It would be nice if one of our resident experts would post a list of which paints are needed to complete each version of helmet.

Yes, I know that custom-mixing is the ONLY way to get "true" colors, but for those without the time, patience, or skill to do this, it would be nice to have a cheat sheet of sorts available to say "ok, for an ESB helmet, go buy this color, and this color, and this color, etc., for a ROTJ helmet...")

I hope I'm making sense. It's been a long day! ;)

I've searched the forum, and I've found a few posts suggesting this color, or that color, but no LISTS, especially lists that are specific to each version of helmet.

Anyone out there want to tackle this one? :D

Here is what I posted in my ROTJ helmet thread..... HTH

The first color listed in the sections is the base color I used then I followed by the random misting of the other colors. I have know idea what sequence of colors that I used in the misting technique. I just grabbed a can and did it randomally until I got what I wanted, I may have/did used/use some of the same colors at different times during the process.
Just do it until your satisfied with the look your after.

Krylon primer overall base coat.......

Dome/lower cheecks-

Krylon Satin sage #3512
Rustolium Painters Touch Sage green #1933 (YES, IT IS A MUCH, MUCH DIFFERENT SHADE THEN LISTED ABOVE)
Color Place flat black
Model Master Dark Green #FS 34079

Cheecks-

Rustolium Ammerican Accents Hunt club green #7944
Color Place Navy blue
Color Place Flat black
Roustolium Black knight metallic #7250
Rustolium Painters Touch sage green #1933 (just a hint)

Visor area-

Color Place red primer
Roustolium Painters Touch Colonial Red #1964
Color place flat black

Back-

Rustolium Painters Touch Hunter Green #1938
Rustolium Painters Touch Sage green #1933
Color Place flat black

Lynn

These colours seem to be USA specific, being in the UK they are a little difficult to get, do we have any UK Fetts with any colour info? I'll do my own bit of research in the meantime and post what I find!

Fett-UK

C17LM wrote:Every color was right out of can/bottle. Hopefully there'll be an example up soon.

C17LM..... I don't know if your talking about the real helmet paint being right out of the can/bottle or if you are asking a question...??...

Here is what my paint list above has accomplished...

before weathering.....
ViewImage.dll

after weathering has been started....
ViewImage.dll

pr you can look at my Helmet progress pics thread....
http://forum.thedentedhelmet.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2597&forum=2

HTH,
Lynn

I'm just making a statement the colors used came right out the can/bottle no mixing involved. But I do not want you to take me wrong by saying that. You have done an extremely nice job on your helmet really nice work.

This thread was started as hopefully a way to archive for future reference, what certain "off the shelf" colors will do when you can't (or don't want to) custom mix paints.

C17LM.. Gottcha, and thanks.. :)

Fett hunter.....
None of the paints I listed have been custom mixed together and resprayed, they are all straight "off the shelf" colors and just misted one on top of the other, directly out of the can, randomly to reproduce the effect you see. It is all spray cans and NO mixing or airbrushing involved, it is straight from the can. My above reply tells how it was done.

If you don't want to mist the paints I have done, just use the first color listed in each catogory as they are the base colors, those are the colors that some people are using.

Ok, two questions:
One, yours is ROTJ, but we still need a list of 'cannon' ESB colors
Second, could you please describe 'misting'? Is it as simple as standing further back and not laying down a solid layer of color? Wouldn't that make a mottled look?

I did a base solid color by using the first color listed in my painting guide. I then misted the other colors that are of a slightly different shade of the main color or others to darken/lighten it up the main, all over the area on top of the base color any where from 10-15" away give or take using short bursts of paint. you just want to tint the base color, not really cover it completley.

No, you won't get a mottled look if the misting is done evenly, but it gives you a nice worn paint look that is not a solid color, THAT is the effect that you want when using the misting technique. Although a mottled look may give it an interesting worn look as well, hhhmmm, I may have to experimant with that one. It is a night and day difference from a paint job that is a solid color, to one that has been misted, it looks more realistic and gives it more depth.

Best thing to do is practice, practice, practice on some paper, plastic, card board or what ever before doing it on your main piece.

Lynn - My reply was directed at C17LM's comments - not yours. :)

Lynn TXP 0369 wrote:C17LM.. Gottcha, and thanks.. :)

Fett hunter.....
None of the paints I listed have been custom mixed together and resprayed, they are all straight "off the shelf" colors and just misted one on top of the other, directly out of the can, randomly to reproduce the effect you see. It is all spray cans and NO mixing or airbrushing involved, it is straight from the can. My above reply tells how it was done.

If you don't want to mist the paints I have done, just use the first color listed in each catogory as they are the base colors, those are the colors that some people are using.

Lynn TXP 0369 wrote:I did a base solid color by using the first color listed in my painting guide. I then misted the other colors that are of a slightly different shade of the main color or others to darken/lighten it up the main, all over the area on top of the base color any where from 10-15" away give or take using short bursts of paint. you just want to tint the base color, not really cover it completley.

No, you won't get a mottled look if the misting is done evenly, but it gives you a nice worn paint look that is not a solid color, THAT is the effect that you want when using the misting technique. Although a mottled look may give it an interesting worn look as well, hhhmmm, I may have to experimant with that one. It is a night and day difference from a paint job that is a solid color, to one that has been misted, it looks more realistic and gives it more depth.

Best thing to do is practice, practice, practice on some paper, plastic, card board or what ever before doing it on your main piece.

Lynn,
Thanks for the info! I get the idea now...and that's an absolutely on the practice, practice, practice...hehe

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back