Body Suit Zam Body Suit

Thing is I think Zam's Custume or Armor was unique to her. We really have no clue what the rest of the Clawdite race dresses in if at all. They are a race that developed shapeshifting as a form od defense against other Races. So for all we know they never wear a thing.

Wookie, Paula from Glomax remembered you! hehe. I had to tell my rep that it- dyesublimation isn't gonna work. She and I were upset together :cry But the hunt will go on! Company #2 is taking her time getting back to me, cause I'm small potatoes. She is telling me that at it's smallest total thickness could be 2mm. Which equals 4mm when it's turned over to be sewn. That's still really thick at the edges. We'd look funny with huge bulging seams. Until I find another neoprene company, I really think that option #3 jumbo spandex is the best, and most inexpensive. We would have the color we want and a thickness that would be nice to sew. It's probably the clost to the right sheen too.
**NEW OPTION** (I am still calling other neoprene companies) But! Suggested by another member here,instead of double lamination, we could go single lamination. That would thin out the plum material by .5mm So that it doesn't get too bulky when sewing. And, since we have to wear a leotard anyway, so that there is black underneath the top halter piece, we could also wear regular thin black stretch pants underneath the neoprene pants so that we wouldn't have to smell like rubber.

Got my samples yeterday! Thanks so much Zam I Am for all your work on this! :cheers

First Option #1 - I agree is "perfect" except that it won't work! :( The thickness and feel of it seem perfect to me - with a better fabric laminated to it of course.

Option #2 (RL-1) would probably be okay as well, again with the right fabric laminated to it.

Option #3 - I dunno... I would say if we can't get anything else to work out, then we use that - but I'd prefer to keep trying with the neoprene if we can.

A question regarding the color - Pantone 5135 - is that matched from pictures or from your visit to MOM? The reason I ask is that it seems more purple than the color I was thinking of, based on photos. My choice was more subdued... closer to Pantone 5215. Color choice SH-2 was pretty darn close to the color, maybe a bit less intense.

Talked to my seamstress Sunday. After looking at the photos and comparing fibers and thickness, she seems to think option #3 is actually better. She says that 1.5mm is good but still a little on the thick side. If you bend the 1.5mm under and compare it to dcb's armpit area "jumpsuit revelation" thread, you will see how the neoprene almost seems too thick at 1.5mm. The Option#3 actually seems "thick enough" but not too thick. Option #3 is also the most affordable. And, we don't have to worry about laminants ruining the dye of the suit. Dcb picked the pantone when he was at MOM with his pantone book and my walmart paint swatches. Remember, even though you can plug in pantone colors into photoshop, your monitor displays are different. If you have a pantone book then-awesome. Sheen and fabric weaving also plays a factor. He gave me a printout match of the color 5135 and compared it with his actual pantone book color to avoid monitor calibration problems. Hopefully everyone gets thier swatches soon and lets me know what they think. Drop some purple dye onto Option#3 and tell me what you think about sheen. Also, fabrics work differently than regular flat colored paper paint swatches. Color lighting at MOM, etc. is also a factor. But 5135 is the closest we've got. SORRY, I WILL NOT FLY TO MOM and BREAK THE PLEXIGLASS...:lol: BTW- it definately is nylon-lycra fabric that is on the actual MOM suit, and what we should/will be using.

I still have not recieved my swatches, but The more I look at things and the more I check things for myself I am convienced that Zam I am is on the right path. Option #3 seems the way to go.

Received my swatches today. :D Thanks zam i am!

After comparing to pics and re-reading this thread again, I think I'm going to agree with MaulMaus.

MaulMaus wrote:

First Option #1 - I agree is "perfect" except that it won't work! :( The thickness and feel of it seem perfect to me - with a better fabric laminated to it of course.

Option #2 (RL-1) would probably be okay as well, again with the right fabric laminated to it.

Option #3 - I dunno... I would say if we can't get anything else to work out, then we use that - but I'd prefer to keep trying with the neoprene if we can.

Cal

I am on a Lord of the rings kick-- So now we have the fellowship of the body-suits..heheh So far the decision has been equally divided between Option 3, and me looking for more neoprene companies. Remember, I haven't gotten a federal id number yet, so it could take several months for me to get another neoprene company to agree to this. AND, I will not be able to talk to overseas companies. The prices would be astronomical, and they wouldn't want to invest/spend the $$ for me to just to do a test lamination. Option 2 is doable, but a bit too thick on the neoprene side. 2mm folded over is really bunchy. Plus us wearing a leotard under that stuff would heat exhaust us. So, if the fellowship stays together, we could wait to if I come up with any other neoprene companies. Or, we could all decide to just go with the jumbo spandex. But if the fellowship breaks then everyone will be on their own. Cause, it's just not cost effective. Paying over $200.00 per person, just for fabric is ridiculous.

Okay, got my swatches. There was no Option 1 or 2 pointed out on my sheet of paper.. only an Option 3 which pointed out SH-14. Am I to understand that the Option 3 fabric would be dyed the right color and would need no lamination?

I like the look and feel of GL-1 personally.

Sure, it's not the right color but I think it looks fine.

Can you tell it was a late night for me? !@#$%# ok, Let me re-itterate. GL-1 is option#1 This one is not available to us because it requires heat sublimation dyeing process= way expensive and very bad outcome. This swatch is only a thickness reference. It is a very nice,almost perfect thickness. http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbumPhoto.asp?userid=ZamIAm&album_id=112954&image_id=1

RL-1, is option#2 It is 2mm-3mm thick and possible, but too thick when turned over and sewn. They can possibly laminate our pre-dyed lycra to their neoprene. We don't know if there will be glue problems. Or, if the lamination process will ruin the dye. This process would have to be tested. (Which isn't free.)We would also be wearing a leotard underneath. This option could heat-exhaust us. This particular company can't cut the neoprene smaller. 4-way stretch. We would have a white version of sh-2 dyed and laminate it to the neoprene. Test dyeing is also an added cost. http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbumPhoto.asp?userid=ZamIAm&album_id=112954&image_id=2

sh-14 is Option#3 Thick nylon spandex. It is less than 1.5mm but more than .5mm thick(Spandex and lycra are the same material, just different names) No neoprene on the backside, but "thick enough" for the bulging welted seams. We can have it dyed and it is a two-way stretch. No glue problems or extra funds expended for neoprene testing. Just extra funds needed for the dye test. Cheapest option. No heat exhaustion problems either. http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbumPhoto.asp?userid=ZamIAm&album_id=112954&image_id=5

Voting at this point, 1)is for me to somehow get a federal ID number and eventually find the "right neoprene company" that will give us total thickness 1.5mm double laminated neoprene with one side being our dyed sh-2 like lycra. Keep in mind this could take several months. Or 2)go with option #3 have a pretest dye job and then get enuff for all of us.

Thank you SOOOO much for reiterating. You're awesome. :D Everyone was throwing in suggestions and saying I like Option this and that and I was totally lost.

It all makes sense now. It's too bad about Option one not being feasible. But that all said and done....

I go with my original opinion and think Option 3 would be the best way to get it done. I also like the color of SH-2 but I will go ahead and check the pantone # to it. :)

TheWookie wrote:

I'd like to see what option # 3 looks like dyed. I'm afraid of dyeing it as I went down this road before. Who are you having do the dye work?

A company in new york. Dynamic dying company or something like that. They usually do 3000 yards at a time, so I would have to pay for a pretest if we dyed it. See, here's the thing, either I do sh-2 in white and dye it for some future neoprene company or I do sh-14 and dye it. I don't want to have to shell out so much dough for so many pretests. That's why I want people to choose. Either I keep on lookin for other neoprene companies (which will take me months)or go with option 3.
We would get a pretest, my seamstress would sew in a welt seam prototype,and then send it out to everyone to say a final yeh or nay. But if the fellowship of the body suit breaks apart, I will not be able to order any of this at a reasonable price, even for option #3. I will not do any purchasing if people have to pay over $200.00 per person just for the fabric.

What would we need to do to get a pretest done for option #3 including having the seamstress make a seam?

For whatever it costs for a sample I'm sure we could all chip in a few bucks to get it done. This might help the final decision. I must say I'm a bit skeptical as to how this option will turn out but I'm willing to help get it done so we can have something more to go off of.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to check in until Sunday night as I'm leaving town for the weekend.

Cal

The cost would be about $10.74 per person if we did a pretest for Option#3, and if EVERYONE chipped in. People, if you are interested in the pretest, please pm me that you're interested. My paypal is ZamIAm@comcast.net If you want to mail me a check, pm me for my address. Please don't paypal me just yet. I have to get everyone to say that they definately want to do a pretest for this option. The price will fluctuate if the total "fellowship" doesn't participate.

I must say you all have really stayed the course, you all really make me proud to be a part of tdh :) I'm gettin teary eyed... When I've lost my patience, you all haven't... Thanks ya'll. *sniffle*

Awww.... MonCal beat me to it! ;)

Count me in for the test - don't think there is any other way to really know how this will turn out. I'd rather pay a few bucks now than regret any decision (one way or the other!). JMHO.

I have conversed it over with some people in the group. And seeing as how most people are really into the neoprene 1.5mm, I am going to research more neoprene companies until this happens for us.
Q:What about Option#3?
A:Since we all want to save money, and shipping costs so darn much, we are going to wait till I acquire a Fed Id# and get a pretest of a white lycra sh-2 dyed with a correct pantone laminated neoprene sample. Then we can do the two pretests at the same time. The dying company might give me a color test break. Both samples will be sent together. Then we will decide.
Q: How long till you get a Federal Id#?
A: Don't know. It may take a couple of months before we all recieve swatches of the real thing in our hands. Still in the asking.

Just wanted to let you know, if you guys dont hear from me for awhile regarding the body suit, it's because of the holiday season, and I have to give a piano recital/concert. So, sorry to have to perpetuate the patience. But! If you have found a Neoprene company within the US that isn't Glomax or Rubberlite, Let me know. I will make every effort to contact them and try to get these companies to cooperate regarding what we want. Thanks for your patience.

I like that idea. I'm willing to wait it out until we can come up with the best possible solution.

(as long as it's within the next decade) ;)

I'm a little worried option 3 will be too thin. I know the costume will probably be hot but it's not like it's going to be worn every day and besides my wife will be the one wearing it, not me :D Most of these costumes are warm anyway.

Thanks zam i am for the effort!

cal

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back