need help, gen knowledge

Kroh

New Hunter
hi all, this doesn’t pertain to star wars any but from what I’ve seen on the forum here there is a wealth of knowledge that deals in exactly what I need help with and hope some of you might be able to help me out. I’ve tried sending a few PM's but have not received and responses :( so I decided to make myself a post. I’m looking to make myself a army of two type helmet, my design doesn’t really look anything like theirs other then general shape but its a good reference to those of you who know what it looks like. alright the thing is I have absolutely no clue where to start, I’m already talented at sculpting with clay and I’m thinking that that will transfer over to this but I don’t know what you guys are using to make these plastic items or if they're even plastic? What are you casting these things out of? How is it done?

hi and welcome
I am pretty new here myself - but guys on here tend to be really friendly.

however, like most forums - people tend to like to know who they are talkin to; so an intro post like u have done above defo improves things!

being a good sculptor helps. I am pretty new to all this "actually making stuff". although the question of how do I make stuff is really difficult to answer cos there loads.

try lookin up the company called smooth-on; they've got a lot introductory vids on some of the basic mold making and casting techniques.

Or u can consider using Fibreglass etc - I myself have started a thread askin how-to go abt this.

Look up the prop workshop and use the search tool.

I am sure more expereinced people will be posting on here eventually.

Good luck man

yay, i'm a friendly person :)
well, i haven't casted a lot personally but people around here usually cast items in resin or fiberglass. often, if that becomes too costly, vacuforming is usuallly done. it's a process where you take an original sculpt of what you want and form a iece of heated plastic over it with vacuum. never played army of two tho so i wouldn't know where to help ya out on that one

alright most of that went right over my head...so i take the item i wish to recreate, in this case i would make the mast from clay or something then vacuum plastic over it? *is lost*

thanks for the help thought :)

yeah, the heated plastic is suctioned around your original mold and then you pop the plastic off, trim it and you have a decent copy of what you made out of clay (or similar hard material)
look it up on google or youtube. you'll find out a lot.
TDH help me out here. i just want to make sure i'm saying this all right :)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back