help the noob

r2d2

New Hunter
lo lo. yeah im a noob. i just joined up yesterday. i have always wanted to make my own cool full working boba fett gear.
i took some templates from a guy using them for a cardboard helmet but i ended sticking the templates to some 20 gauge sheet metal to make it outta metal not cardboard. i figure they will work the same.
i got some clear vinal from hobby lobby and some window tinting from auto zone.
i have a good idea for the flame thrower on the armband and it looks like it is gonna work beautifuly.
i can set up the radio in the helm so i can walkie talkie to friends, plug in my ipod and keep my bluetooth for phone calls.
im thinking of making the the tint lowlight ( soo i can see better in the dark).
if ne one reads this and has ne pointers or files or ne thing please help the noob r2d2 build boba's armor.
thnx to all
r2d2

hey bud, welcome to the boards, great to have you here!! well, first of all, have you figured out how heavy this helm will be once you put all the metal to it? you may want to consider the weight before deciding to do a metal one...(y) also, the templates in the armor section are fantastic if you are going to be doing your own armor...this sounds weird, but there is a trashcan armor thread showing how to use the templates with trashcan, and it is awesome!! just keep asking questions, and someone will be able to help!! let us know!(y)

Metal helm sounds awesome. And it looks like you've got a lot planned.

One request, Take lots of pictures :) .

Plus welcome to the boards etc.

-Tom

but i ended sticking the templates to some 20 gauge sheet metal to make it outta metal not cardboard. i figure they will work the same.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you can pull off with the metal! I have some aircraft aluminum I plan on making my armor out of, but even with some metalworking experience, I'm not quite brave enough to tackle the helmet just yet. :)

Hey r2d2! WELCOME! :cheers Where did you leave Golden Rod? (Sorry, had to do it :) )! Yeah I agree, you have some great ideas there. Post pictures of that metal bucket when you get 'em. And I'll never stop saying it; this place is a world of information with the best group of people! Ask and you shall receive! Again, welcome!

ya know if you guys have a harbor freight near you, you can buy a tinted face shield for $8 and its really easy to cut. that's what i used. look up "thinking outside the box" in a search you'll find my scratch build. also (I NEED to post soon) but i made my gauntlets out of 2.5" PVC and wood. all in all they look good. not saying there movie accurate but i believe that they look pretty decent...i know i need to post some pictures!!! my chest plates were old garbage cans. my knee pads are pvc, and so are my shoulder armor. so i love this site for all the cheap skates (like me) who make decent costumes

I am also new here. I made my helmet, but I need some advice about how to paint it and install a visor. I'm very young compared to you guys, (12) and my helmet isn't that impressive. Advice?

fuzzinear

Last edited by a moderator:
Installing that vizor will be a pain! From what I have heard the tint loves to crack, so be aware! Also, sand down the edges of that metal and coat it in something (especially on the bottom near the neck) so you don't cut your throat and bleed out. It'd be cool, but I don't think you'd enjoy it. Aside from that, a metal helmet would be awesome. For battle damage just kick it around and wack it with a machete or something...throw it at a saw or something. You know? Good luck and take TONS TONS MANY MANY MUCHO MUCH MAS MAS LOTS LOTS TOOOOOOO MANYYYY PICTURES. Please! Everyone loves work in progress pictures.

Hope that didn't waste too much time. ^^

thnx guys i thought about all that stuff like sanding the edges so i dont slice my own neck and i also took into account that the metal is gonna weigh about 3.6 lbs and thnx for the hint on the tint im sure itll be fine. thnx for the blueprints on the armor and the jet pack. ill send some of the pics i have as soon as i figure out how to post em. the working's of the helmet like the lights inside the helm is a red lowlight inner light that doesnt ruin your night vision. and it also the visor is gonna be a tint use by car companies to improve visibilty at night. there is gonna be a working targeting system as well. as soon as i make the blue prints on atocad ill post those too.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back