New to the Forum need some help with the vest

FettMD

New Hunter
I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone with some experience could help me.

I have purchased armour and it's on the way, but I need to make a flak vest and really fast. I would love to buy one but I have already used up my budget on the armour for this year, so I would like to make a quick, easy vest. My problem is that I have VERY little time at home as I work about 80 hours per week

How can I make a vest quickly and what material should I use?

I really appreciate any suggestions
thanks,
FettMD

I never really made a vest but maybe use some old thick material lying around. Look at some reference material cut it and sew it together. Might work out until you can buy one. They arent too badly priced and usually someone has one up for sale in the Cargo Hold.

I made my vest in 2 hours. If you have a sewing machine its fairly simple. If not, Its a little more difficult.

With sewing machine: Get a med/tight fitting sleeveless tshirt/tank top style top.

Lay it on the fabric. Draw 1/2 inch all the way around it. cut 2 of them. Lay them on top eachother.

Start at the top neck. do the neck, shoulder top, arm holes, side, other shoulder top arm hole, and side. Just sew them about 1/2 inch from the outside edge. All the way around EXCEPT the bottom.

Turn it inside out. Now you have a nice seam.

Now turn it inside out again:) Fold up the bottom and sew it. Youll get a funny seam there. but its the easiest way for you to make it like that.

Now if you use thick material/canvas/pleather you have a nice thick vest, if you dont, you have a thin vest.

I wouldnt necessarily sew the sides. Id do the velcro on the sides. So when cutting the shirts, you could cut some wings/flaps out of the FRONT part Put velcro on the back of it, and on the back of the vest and use that to tighten the vest from the side.

I do believe theres an acurate vest pattern floating around somewhere. Just gotta find it:)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back