RussRep Spikes on CA Boots

Bubba Fett

Well-Known Hunter
Just got a pair of Russ Rep spikes and wondering how others have attached these to their CA boots. They are too small "out of the box". Have you rebent the metal? I heard some fill with caulk or hot glue. Seems like that might look a little strange having the toe stick out that far, but I can't find any reference pics from those who have done it.

Love to know the best way to go about this.

Thx.

russ' spikes are aluminum, if you're very gentle with them you can open up the bracket a bit at the corners to get a better fit. i did that so they sat better on my caboots, then filled the rest with goop. they're going to be a pain to get off when it comes time to get some new boots.

I shaped them to the boot, nothing else, just screw fixed. I thought about tape, but did not need it. Make sure the spikes are tight or they spin round. You have to move them till they are tight and at the correct angle.

Thx guys. Got them on using the screws and some shoe goo and they look pretty good. Now to fill the spaces with hot glue or caulk!

Thx guys. Got them on using the screws and some shoe goo and they look pretty good. Now to fill the spaces with hot glue or caulk!

Yep, that's what I did. Now, unscrew the spikes, put a little Loctite on them and replace. That'll keep them from backing out. Just a dab, now. Too much, and the blue liquid will ooze out.

Didn't think about the caulk to fill in the gap. I like it.

I went out and bought a set of longer, self tapping, sheet metal screws. About an inch long apiece. So far they've held up.

I changed the spike a bit, added to the back because I did not like the spikes looking cut off. Used some aquamend to fill the gaps. Painted and weathered them (added some rust, etc). They look great now.

Thx again!

So here are the shots of them weathered with the backs of the spikes and the gaps filled.

Please keep in mind I need to weather the boots a bit more.

spikes1.jpg

spikes2.jpg

There are not a lot of good shots of his spikes in ESB, though we know there is a ton of weathering on the lower section of his suit. So I used inspiration where there was a lack of information. I figured he probably got these things pretty wet and got crud stuck in them a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back