A question about FX armor

CombatBaby

Well-Known Hunter
i have a question I'd prefer a simple answer to.

I know the FX armor is widely recasted and at this point in time there is no real ownership, though buying a set to produce molds is I know still frowned upon.

My question is, how do people make position molds from a set of armor, trimmed or untrimmed?

I also ask because i compared some of my fx armor parts with those of a friend and there are different size issues despite both being fx armor kits purchased on forums and ebay.

do people use different methods?

I hand made some stormtrooper molds to make armor pieces that fit better, (thighs for one as i hate the fx pieces) and i used wood and trim pieces, and the molds hold up well.

what are these people using to support moderate production for their ebay kits? i would think anything like plaster would break down and bust after a couple pulls, or soften up on the edges.

once again, just curious as the sizing differences made me think about how people manage to copy it for use in more vaccuforming.

it's not like they are pouring rubber over someones work, that's easy to understand, i just don't get how they manage to get a useable mold.....or what whoever the makers of mine and my friends armor did that made them different sizes

it's not just trimming either, the chest piece on his fx is at least an extra 1/4 longer on each "breast"

any input would be appreciated.

think problem is the recasters have not been very consistent. Also - lots of ebay kits have parts chopped-shopped together from other available kits.

there is still one approved FX dealer that I know of if u interested in a new set however. His product is said to be consistent, white and are meant to be good sharp pulls.

Also, lots of 501ers mod their basic FX's in some great ways - if these got into the hands of a recaster; I am that get absorbed in the pool of FX variations out there.

as for recasters methods - I heard one ebay seller has said he uses Aluminum molds. But there really is no way to verify is there?

Nate

think problem is the recasters have not been very consistent. Also - lots of ebay kits have parts chopped-shopped together from other available kits.

there is still one approved FX dealer that I know of if u interested in a new set however. His product is said to be consistent, white and are meant to be good sharp pulls.

Also, lots of 501ers mod their basic FX's in some great ways - if these got into the hands of a recaster; I am that get absorbed in the pool of FX variations out there.

as for recasters methods - I heard one ebay seller has said he uses Aluminum molds. But there really is no way to verify is there?

Nate

aluminum molds? to put that much time and money into FX armor which is not that accurate seems silly. unless they sell dozens of suits and the cost was quickly recouped.

i get what you're saying with the armor though, if any piece was modded and then the whole suit sold to someone who copied it there would be subtle differences.

like i said, between my friend and i not everything is different, just a few things. i use a modded MR helmet now with my suit, but originally when i got my suit the helmet wasn't even assembled correctly, the dome was flipped and the chin piece was a different style and inverted....

if i'm remembering right, the "original" maker of the fx kits has milled aluminum molds.

and by "original" i mean that this too is complicated, but there's one person that sort of is the root most of the FX kits that are out there.

btw baby - yeah the recaster that allegedly uses aluminmum molds is a well known UK ebayer who seems to sell FX kits for peanuts! but u can see that his pulls are kinda soft really.

the recognises FX dealer does indeed sell FX lite ie w/o lid now that the MRCE has arrived.

I guess u could get in touch with the regular TK armourers and ask em wot they use

Nate

There are aluminum fillers you can put into resin to make it shed heat, and be rock hard. That is what many higher end companies use for plugs when doing vacforming.

It deflects the heat and cools quickly. And you couldnt crack or chip it if you had to.

Id actually make a guess to say that the 'aluminum' molds are really resin/aluminum powder molds. They would look almost exactly like aluminum. They could be machined. They would be extremely durable, and could be poured instead of machined.

There are aluminum fillers you can put into resin to make it shed heat, and be rock hard. That is what many higher end companies use for plugs when doing vacforming.

It deflects the heat and cools quickly. And you couldnt crack or chip it if you had to.

Id actually make a guess to say that the 'aluminum' molds are really resin/aluminum powder molds. They would look almost exactly like aluminum. They could be machined. They would be extremely durable, and could be poured instead of machined.

That's very interesting.

thanks for all the input guys, just trying to figure out which "version" of the FX suit i have.

the chest piece is HUGE on me, like i said at least 1/4" bigger per pec.
and i'm 6'5" so this thing is massive oversized.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back