Painting armour

slave1pilot

Well-Known Hunter
C3PO armor.
A guy in my garrison contacted me to paint his C3PO armor for him.
he doesn't want it gold, but AOTC style
like this;
finalpose4.jpg

I'm willing to give it a try, but have no idea what to charge.
i don't like the "hourly" rate, cuz it can get way out of hand on a project this big.
I like a flat fee - wether it takes 40 hours or 400, the guy pays the same price
that way we are agreed from the start.

what dou you guys think I should charge?
:confused

Man, that's a toughie.....it's not as complex as say a Boba Fett helmet done all by hand (pre-template days;) ), but with all the subtleties it still will require some serious time.

Right off hand I'm thinking of at least $700.

I think $700 sounds fair, but I would also take in to consideration if you have to do finishing work on it or if it comes ready to paint. Dose it need a display stand built for it? That kind of thing.

He says it's gold already, so it should be ready for paint.
It will be a trooping costume, not display so no stand
I'm just painting & weathering

wow ... he wants to paint a golden C3PO ... I would love to have a golden one ... looks thousand times better to me .. but that´s just me ... I fro myself wouldn´t dare to paint a golden one... if it would be an unpainted kit ... ok ... but already golden ...

you will have to sand it down, won´t you?

Because the AOTC Version isn´t golden at all, or?

cheers,
Manuel

well...
after speaking to him about pricing (without saying any numbers) he has decided to tackle it himself
too bad, coulda been a fun project

well...
after speaking to him about pricing (without saying any numbers) he has decided to tackle it himself

I guess he started to think that it was no small task and would require no small number ;)

I too would never paint a 3PO that is already gold/plated into an AOTC scheme.:wacko...but that's just me. I like the ESB post Bespin 3PO's that I have seen.....all apart in the netting in a corner. VERY sheik geek cool prop8) ....did I just say that:lol:

well...

happens to me all the time.. :lol:... most get scared off. They don't seem to realize what it takes to pull something like that off, "DONE RIGHT".... Prep alone causes me to Up the price way more....it's allot of work in the end.(y)...

happens to me all the time.. :lol:... most get scared off. They don't seem to realize what it takes to pull something like that off, "DONE RIGHT".... Prep alone causes me to Up the price way more....it's allot of work in the end.(y)...

I know
i try not to do prep work if I can help it
I tell people to have it ready for paint, that way they are happy with it & so am I.
However, I usually end up doing some prep work anyway.:facepalm
Too many different opinions on what is "ready for paint"

Yeah but I mean... they' ve seen your work right? what do they expect having to pay after having seen your fett bucket's? they' re like... 1:1 screen accurate, it doesn' t get much better?

but I agree.
like this 3PO project, I guess people don' t realise what kind of work it takes to do it.

Why are people willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a canvas painting where as the task of painting a prop or other 3D object is regarded as less... of a prestation.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back