MANDALORIAN PROTECTORS (pics)

Ok, I've read a few old threads over the last few days, even left a comment or two reviving them. The Idea of a Mandalorian Protector project for a future custom is growing on me.

There is some Official Canon/backstory on Fenn Shysa and Tobbi Dala, and the Protectors. They were originally created back in Marvel Comics to shed some light on Fett's past. Their names were mentioned by BF in the Dark Horse comic, Twin Engines Of Destruction. They are also mentioned again in the Legacy of the Force book set. Of course, there is also the Hasbro Comic Two-packs with the re-issues of the old comics. Shysa and his Protectors are also supposed to be playing a big part in the upcoming book, Luke Skywalker and The Shadows of Mindor, coming out this Dec. if I am not mistaken. There seems to be easily enough material to bring at least Shysa, who ended up being a Mandalore mind you, into more of a spotlight, if not the whole Mandalorian Protectors concept.

I know that Hasbro stayed true to the comics with the paint on the two figures, and I also know they were based off "Evolutions" Jango (Shysa) and Boba (Dala). Apparently, for some of you, the idea of a mostly green Mandalorian "Uniformed-Soldier" is not acceptable to you. One guy even stated it made him so upset, he was going to contact Hasbro personally.

I suppose my main goal in this is to raise awareness, spark a discussion, and explore the concept of possibly bringing the Protector "Uniform" up there, to stand side by side with the Jasters, Jangos Bobas and Jodos at 501st events. Before you anti-501st guys/girls shake your head and mumble bad things, read below.

Now for the disclaimer. I am not a dyed in the wool 501st guy. I'm just a guy who has a cheap FX TK kit and has fun with it once in a while. But, if I go the extra mile in time effort and money, I would like it to pay off, and at least be able to do events and parades, and not be told I'm not allowed to wear it to official 501st functions.

If we/I, were to make a case to the 501st, to bring A Mandalorian generic Uniformed-soldier into being, like I said earlier, to march along side the Jasters, Jodos, etc. What am I up against? There does seem to be at the very least, enough references/canon material as Jodo Kast.

I believe this is an idea worth exploring, and I would like as much feedback as you tough crowd are willing to give. This may be the start of something big...or not.

sr_0bbbc3bcc343d9.gif

DSC03859.gif

DSC03870.gif

DSC03832.gif

DSC03826.gif

DSC03828.gif

DSC03820.gif

It's actually funny you bring this up, because the Cuy'Val Dar and myself at Mercs has been talking about starting up some detachments for Death Watch, SuperCommandos (like from "Open Seasons") and Mandalorian Protectors who may wanna group up in like armor at Mercs events. Would be kinda cool to see a group of one of those walk in at SDCC or DragonCon.

God I'd love to see a group of Death Watch vs SuperCommandos in the real!

I agree that the Mandalorian Protectors appear to be an under-represented section of Mando "history". Although characters such as Fenn Shysa may become more popular and well known due to his recent appearance in RC: Order 66.
We've also been discussing him on KOTE Mandos due to the major difference between his armour and that of other Mandos.

Also, if you have your visual references man...then there shouldn't be an issue getting that set of kit into the 501st.

There is also another Mandalorian Protectors pic out there with 3 who like exactly like Boba.

Mandalorians_led_by_Boba_Fett.jpg

So that may be a hard sell for the 501st since the variation is quite a bit different. I think you may be able to get by with singular characters like Tobbi or Fenn, but I don't know enough about how the legion does that to make an educated guess.

I'm overwhelmed by the response so far. Thank you.

Thanks for the big pic. I do have that saved. I left that one out due to the troops in the photo being almost exactly like Boba. the Protectors/SuperCommandos were not Boba look a likes! I also was digging the one guy who was doing the "Grunt Mando" thing, from Open Seasons.

Just to note, I really wasn't digging the Jango belt/holsters/twin Westars on the Shysa figure. I understand it was just a repaint of the Evolutions Jango, but they really should have done him like Dala, (Fett-ish).

Keep 'em coming.

I agree that the Mandalorian Protectors appear to be an under-represented section of Mando "history". Although characters such as Fenn Shysa may become more popular and well known due to his recent appearance in RC: Order 66.
We've also been discussing him on KOTE Mandos due to the major difference between his armour and that of other Mandos.

I would love some info on that if you have it. I just saw the hardcover of that new book yesterday at Borders.

It's possible that their armor had variation depending on the squad you were in, with the basic green colors being common throughout the entire ranks. That would make sense why we see them with different colors, Boba could have had his own squad.

Thats just my take on it. There's no real explanation other than artist preference.

Yeah, I think you're right. But, if I were to approach the 501st with the concept, before an actual physical representation of that concept, I'm wondering how they would respond. If mine is the first, and I go off the Marvel comic and Hasbro comic two-pack, does that mean everyone to follow me has to have a set-up like mine to be excepted?

Could I approach the 501st with the idea being, "just let us in if we create similar set-ups to the Shysa/Dala figures"?

There are just alot of variables to be answered. Any 501st guys have any input? Ripcode, Jaster, Jodo 3, etc...

The Legion doing something like this... i'm no expert on their processes either.. but this may open up a whole can of worms they may not want to get into. Like you said, proto-fett, there's ALOT of possible variables. That may make things more.. difficult.

Well, dala & shysa might have a shot at getting into the 501st anyway. Basically, you need at least 2 visual refrences for a character to be considered for 501st. With Dala & Shysa, you have the comics, and now an action figure...so perhaps someday, that may be an acceptable costume for the 501st??? The other idea, about the madalorian protectors, might be a tougher sell. I would talk to the clone emperor. He is a member here, and the LMO for the 501st. If anybody can give you concrete answers about your ideas,its him. Good Luck;)
D

Well, dala & shysa might have a shot at getting into the 501st anyway. Basically, you need at least 2 visual refrences for a character to be considered for 501st. With Dala & Shysa, you have the comics, and now an action figure...so perhaps someday, that may be an acceptable costume for the 501st??? The other idea, about the madalorian protectors, might be a tougher sell. I would talk to the clone emperor. He is a member here, and the LMO for the 501st. If anybody can give you concrete answers about your ideas,its him. Good Luck;)
D

Thanks for your input. I'm way ahead of you, e-mailed Thomas already! I asked him to check out this thread. Maybe he'll make an appearance.

The Legion doing something like this... i'm no expert on their processes either.. but this may open up a whole can of worms they may not want to get into. Like you said, proto-fett, there's ALOT of possible variables. That may make things more.. difficult.

Trust me, I know. But I think this is still worth the effort. I mean come on, another option for 501st approved Mandalorian costumes, who doesn't want that! That would be a victory we could all celebrate.

I found this online, I thought it was pretty cool.

Fenn Shysa enjoyed something of a resurgence of interest on account of a couple wayward references by Andy Mangels in Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Characters and the Boba Fett story, "Twin Engines of Destruction" originally serialized in Topps' Star Wars Galaxy Magazine. Unfortunately not many folk know who the heck he is. Well, look no further!

Fenn Shysa first appeared in the Marvel series in issues 68 "The Search Begins" and 69 "Death in the City of Bone." While searching for Han Solo in the Mandalore system, Princess Leia encountered a super-commando whom she mistook for Boba Fett. In truth he was Fenn Shysa, who served along side Boba Fett years ago, and he's actually an okay guy who was fighting to free Mandalore from the Imperial yoke. Fenn Shysa, his chum Tobbi Dala and Boba Fett are the last survivors of the Mandalorian Protectors who fought in the Clone Wars. Later on in the series after Return of the Jedi, Shysa became a minor supporting player and helped out in a few battles and was something of a rival for Leia's affections (at least in Han's mind anyway).

D20 Stats for Fenn Shysa can be found in issue 9 of Star Wars Gamer magazine.

Fenn's first two adventures can be found in "Fool's Bounty", the fifth volume of Dark Horse Comics' trade paperback series reprinting the entire Marvel run, Star Wars: A Long Time Ago... Fenn's late appearances can be found in volume 7, "Far, Far Away."

Fenn Shysa
The light of the setting sun was a kaleidoscope of reds and greens as it shone through the tangled and humid Mandalorian jungle. Fenn Shysa stood quietly over the simple, unmarked grave of his friend, Tobbi Dala. Fenn laid the helmet of Dala's super-commando armor atop a stake at the head of the mound. The struggle to overthrow the Imperial overlord who had enslaved Shysa's people had finally been won, but at the price of Dala's life. Not since the Clone Wars had Fenn felt a loss so deeply. Fenn reflected that the last time he stood over the grave of a comrade, his life had changed completely. He wondered if it would happen again. The prospect of change brought him little comfort.

Fenn looked up; he sensed someone standing behind him. The number of people in the galaxy who could sneak that close to him was very small. In fact, there was only one. "What are you doing here?"

Boba Fett regarded Shysa coolly and looked down at Dala's grave. "I came to pay my respects."

"You picked a funny time to start caring," Shysa said.

Fett did not answer. "We're the last now," he said.

"No," Shysa said, "you're the last."

"Yet you still wear the uniform," Fett said.

"I am not this bloody suit of armor! Tobbi could never realize that, and I doubt you could either. We did some horrible things during the Wars, but I've come to terms with all that. I can take this helmet off and stare at me face in the mirror. Can you say the same?"

"I know who I am," Fett answered.

"Aye, I'm sure you do," Fenn said.

"I did not come here to fight old battles, Shysa. Dala was one of us and deserves respect."

"And yer bounties, what do they deserve?"

"They deserve what they get. In the end, everybody does."

Shysa turned to Fett. "I hope yer right."

Fett turned and walked away. "I have a delivery to make."

The mando in the center is Boba. It's from one of the SW: Tales comics where Boba is pitting a stranded Han Solo against his Mando trainees, to weed out the best from the worst. Not sure if it's cannon, but that's where the pic is from. You can also tell it's Boba, becuase he's the only one of the three with wookiee braids.

Just thought you'd all like to know.

Also, if you have your visual references man...then there shouldn't be an issue getting that set of kit into the 501st.

There is also another Mandalorian Protectors pic out there with 3 who like exactly like Boba.

Mandalorians_led_by_Boba_Fett.jpg

So that may be a hard sell for the 501st since the variation is quite a bit different. I think you may be able to get by with singular characters like Tobbi or Fenn, but I don't know enough about how the legion does that to make an educated guess.

I like this as well and think you should go for it - always liked the protectors and Fenn Shysa ever since I read about them in the comics as a kid (y)

I am fairly certain that you couldn't get in with a generic "protector" and definitely not with a protector based on the idea that different squads could have different colors and all that. You're much better off trying a Fenn Shysa. I'd say he has a better shot than even Tobbi Dala just because he's in a bit more. That's if you're going for 501st though. If you're just doing it for yourself then let your imagination go. Also, The Clone Emperor is not the LMO anymore. He used to be, but the website says it's somebody else now. He can still give really good advice, but he's not the guy in charge of who gets in anymore

I am fairly certain that you couldn't get in with a generic "protector" and definitely not with a protector based on the idea that different squads could have different colors and all that. You're much better off trying a Fenn Shysa. I'd say he has a better shot than even Tobbi Dala just because he's in a bit more. That's if you're going for 501st though. If you're just doing it for yourself then let your imagination go. Also, The Clone Emperor is not the LMO anymore. He used to be, but the website says it's somebody else now. He can still give really good advice, but he's not the guy in charge of who gets in anymore

Thanks for the advise, I think you're right. I did go to Thomas, he also gave me some good advise.

The only problem I have is that Shysa's uniform should look like Dala's, at least where the Hasbro/Marvel two-pack figures go. We all know the Shysa figure is just a repainted Jango with a different head. Nowhere in the comics did he gunsling two westars! The biggest selling feature to the 501st is the figures, then the comics, then whatever has been published in official gamebooks, novels, etc. You are right about the much more limited info on Dala. He died in the Marvel comic and was only mentioned a few times after, but....he has a much cooler outfit. Maybe I'll research further.

Thanks again for the feedback.

from what I've heard, the hasbro figures are pretty much never used for visual reference. Do not base your costume off of the action figure, stick to the comics

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back