Belts & Holsters Rubies Holster

What kind of paint can I use to paint thick latex?

I just got the new rubies holster and it is made out of thick latex. What kind of paint can use so that it does not melt it? I tried spray primer on the back but it seems to have melted it and is still sticky and does not want to not want to fully cure.

Thanks,

Mike

Go to your local hobby shop and ask. There is a special kind of paint that you need to paint on latex, or it won't take. It's a latex based paint, it's the same kind you'd use if you were making prosthetics. I just can't remember what it is. But any decent hobby shop can tell you. Usually the smaller ones. The big chain shops usually employ anyone regardless of their knowledge, so they may not be able to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine are on there way as we speak....... We'll see....

Those look actually pretty good, keep the holsters them selves and replace the belts with the real leather ones. That probably sounds easier then it is.... But....

MGR.... What is the silver metal thingee that attachs to the cod made from? Solid plastic, vacuformed pastic, or rubber laytex?

Lynn,
It is made from solid plastic. It is very similar to the silver I used on my arnor which was a matte silver. By the way, if you guys ordered from thing you never knew existed get ready fo a wait. They ship regular mail and it takes at least 7 days to Michigan.

Mike

I am in the process of experimenting with different paints Ill let you guys know if I find something that works. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

Cool, I was thinking about that, cause it seems like thats a weird kinda vinyl, so not all paint would dry on that stuff. Let us know! Is it possible to take any closer pics?

Hi all, we(my brother and I) are new here,although we have been lurking around for quite awhile :D which has helped us with our costumes a lot so far(I'm doing ESB boba and my brother is making jango).

Anyways, i was wondering what the lengh/size was on the rubys holster.

Thanks in Advance.

Mgr, Kylash,

If the holsters are really latex you can use acrylic paints with rubber cement diluted with zippo lighter fluid 1:1. I used this on a crappy freddy mask in High school and it looked great afterwards. You just need regular rubber cement and some zippo lighter fluid, make sure its says 100% Naptha on it. Now add 1 part lighter fluid to 1 part rubber cement, stir in some acrylic paint and mix it well. It should be enough to give it color or else it will crack. Now brush it on or an alternative is always an airbrush. That's what I used. It usually takes 5-6 hours to dry so dont wait till halloween to paint the holsters. YMMV, if they are made of some other type of rubber.

gwizah_fett wrote:Mgr, Kylash,

If the holsters are really latex you can use acrylic paints with rubber cement diluted with zippo lighter fluid 1:1.
Sounds like a highly flammable concoction to me. I'd refrain from smoking or any open flames while wearing it. :angry

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back