Skirt Making the skirt

Zam I Am wrote:

You still have to really really struggle to pull that lace through, it took me such a long time. I stayed up till 2 AM everynight this past week. Dang blasted lacing!

Hmm... maybe I should've gotten the larger one then... *sighs* Oh well... What type of leather did you end up using for the lacing? 2-3 oz?

Too late on the punch... I'll just wait for it. Less hassle than trying to return it and all... probably wouldn't save enough when all was said and done to make it worth it now.

Darth Pootle!! Welcome! Are you the same Darth Pootle as on the DMEB2 boards?

Ah yes. It's me! Who else would want this stupid name?! Hiya MM!

I'm hoping I can get hold of leather and tools from a friend of mine that does saddlery repair. She has wholesale catalogues, so maybe I can buy leather cheaper through her. Was the best weight for the skirt decided upon? 5-6oz, or heavier? I think lighter leather would 'flow' better and not put too much strain on the laces. My poor hands aren't looking forward to all that lacing!

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, anything that changes leather color will freak me out. Any other suggestions?

Zam I Am wrote:

Unfortunately, anything that changes leather color will freak me out. Any other suggestions?

Quite understandable! Neatsfoot Oil is good but I find it too hard to apply, being as it is so runny. It makes application unprecise and it gets everywhere. (I'm sure you've learnt that already!) It's excellant for nourishing dry leather though and would be my personal choice after ko-cho-line.

My preference is still with the pink goo though! :D

Maulmaus, Nope, you got the right one baby... The skirt puncher is definately the right size, it's a matter of width. If you needed one with a larger width, you'd have to custom order it. Believe me, too much trouble. The 1/4th inch slotted punch is fine. Leather work is just that-- work! So lacing will always be a problem. Definately 1 oz- 2oz. leather though for the lace, any more than that, and you'd have killed me.

Dunked squares, instead of airbrush a possibility: look at how dye dripped to the bottom of the square...
dunkedsq.JPG

Zam I Am wrote:

Dunked squares, instead of airbrush a possibility: look at how dye dripped to the bottom of the square...

Could that be leather conditioner or sealer instead of dye?

The skirt pieces might have been dunked though... I'm sure it's faster than airbrushing all those durned squares! ;) I was going to try dunking them (just to try it) and also wool daubers before I get out the airbrush.

It's definately not wool daubers. Cause wool daubers cause "streak" like applications, and are harder to "even out". Dauber application isn't as even as dunking or airbrushing. The sealers wouldn't cause those marks. Sealers act like clear coat paint.Some are really shiney and some are less. Resolene is a less shiny sealer than supersheen. They dont really darken things unless you have lacquer in it. Or some kind of coloring producer. Like, if you had darkening neatsfoot oil conditioner then yeh, it could do that. But, it wouldn't make sense to condition just a "part" of a square. It looks like "over-dyeing" residue, settling to the bottom of the square. Then they just sealed it all. Oh, and it might be a double dunk. (dunk, dry, dunk) When you take it out the first time, the dye seems to spread to the outter most edges first if it's layed flat on the rough side. So, if you tilt it up and let the dye run all the way to the bottom, that might be the right effect (for those few squares). :D

Maulmaus wrote:
Actually, have the greebs half painted. Just details and a final fixative on all but one... which hasn't been touched yet! However, have all the rest of the parts and materials for the skirt (lacing, etc) assembled and ready for production... and the veil/hood thingy as well. Parts for the holster are ready to go... The rifle has been disassembled and is awaiting paint, etc.

Nothing picture worthy yet though... *sighs*
All zam pics are worthy...
C'mon!!! gotta see the progress! woohoo! Oh, Maulmaus.. You assembled the skirt already? or did you just cut the skirt squares and lace already? ie, what did you mean "assembled and ready for production" Did you use real pig suede for the veil? And, how is your holster comming along? You know how to wetform it right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa there ZIA!! :D

Gotta get through the Holidays in one piece here... *sanity is in question at this point in time! ;) *

Got all the leather ready to go... got all the materials needed to cut/form/color/dye the leather ready to go... got all the pieces to stick/paste/glue/rivet/weld/pray into place... But nothing else!

Pig suede.. yeah.. got it. Very soft, though it feels a bit thick to me...

Re: wetforming... haven't a clue. :D I was gonna go through the boards here again *I could swear it was explained somewhere on here before* and post any questions before I went ahead and made it. Just not that far along yet... only have the leather and dyes right now.

So actually.... all I could take pictures of are piles of leather, a couple shelves full of half painted greebs, materials and tools (and some SW Lego toys! ;) ) and the lovely helmet that DCB made!

Ahhh, I see... Hey you are several steps closer! Congrats! Remember, before you cut the skirtsquares, make sure they are a bit bigger than 2" tall, or else it will be short looking like mine. I would venture to say 2 1/8" tall each. Oh, you should take a pic of the pig suede! let us see!

But I've been a good girl ... I have! :D

Cut my hide... cutting the hide so to speak! Have about 2/3 of the skirt squares cut and should get the rest done this week. Hope to get all the holes punched in the squares next weekend.. then I can start dyeing the whole lot! :D

Okay.. and ZIA... I have a couple of questions on the belt..(the visible one... not the one holding the skirt up)... Did you have a pattern for it? And what weight leather did you use for it? How is it attached to the "real" belt?

I'll find another thread for the cumberbun comments, but I would like to know how tall the squares were that you cut for your skirt. I can't seem to find what I mentioned after all the events I recently went to. I honestly don't know how tall they should be. I just made a guesstimate, cause my whole skirt ended up a tad short in the comparison shots.

I made mine 2 1/4" tall. I think you said you'd make them 2 1/8" tall if you were to do it again. I measured how long I wanted the skirt to be on me... and divided it up (rounding it out of course!). I figure if it's a little on the long side, I can just tie it higher on my waist... if it's too short, I guess I'll add another short row on the top and hide it under the cumberbun. :)

Just make sure your laces are longer for each column to adjust. Start off with more slack. Oh, and use lots of slack when you lace it all up. That's the only way to make sure it flows and isn't as "solid" as mine. And, have an extra row of pieces. I cut all my laces off before I could change anything, and you would have re-dye matching problems if you dont have an extra row and extra long laces. Once you cut/dye/seal everything, you don't want to have to go through that trouble again! So, make sure you cut laces extra long, and, an extra row etc. I actually laid the pieces out on the floor then rolled myself on the floor to match where it would hit on the sides of my hip. Like a pig in mud :lol:

maulmaus wrote
Do you have any tips or tricks that you use when you cut the lace?
What lace-cutter do you use? I must be doing something wrong, as I
can't get more than about 6 inches before it breaks off. Or do I just
need to practice? Do you start with a small hole in the center of the
piece or is a larger hole easier to start with?

I used a black lace cutter like the one in the tandy catalog. Then I cut a hole in the middle of my hide and aiming the blade at the hide, I cut from inside out going clockwise. It's hard to get started, but with enough practice, it gets easier. Sometimes tugging on the back end of the lace while you cut helps. Make sure to check your blade, I tried for an hour once, cause I didn't realize the blade had chipped. If it chips, replace it, or you will have small starts of leather lace all over the place. Oh! and there will be lotsa leather shavings :D Sorry dallas! (That's one of the messes I left at his house before I came home. :lol:) Oh and the hole that you start with should be about the size of a quarter.

Zam I Am wrote:

It's hard to get started, but with enough practice, it gets easier. Sometimes tugging on the back end of the lace while you cut helps. Make sure to check your blade, I tried for an hour once, cause I didn't realize the blade had chipped. If it chips, replace it, or you will have small starts of leather lace all over the place.

Okay.... gotta get some replacement blades I think.. and practice...practice...practice... *ugh!* ;)

Thanks!

Awww im tired lol - trying to do any math when youre tired and havent done math for 8 years is evil!

I'm trying to work out how much leather i will need to make the skirt. I have written down how many squares of each size i need and with my super math powers i have concluded ... I need help! LOL

Looking at the size of a skirt i dont think im gonna be needing the equivalent of a football pitch in leather - oooh my superior math powers - move over Steven Hawking OMG ;)

Next question is about the thonging - when youre cutting your leather you want the shiney smooth side to be the 1/4 side? If i cut in spirals how do i make it straight - does it even need to be straight?! lol

Thanx for the help - i need sleep! lol .... 65 square feeet sheesh im useless

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back