Skirt Making the skirt

Ok, I just finished the skirt and there is a problem houston... It's really stiff. I either:
#1, should have dunked the pieces in non darkening neatsfoot oil

edit* #2 Should put some other type of conditioner (for finished leather) on it

#3 used some type of leather that isn't so thick, like dallas' 4 oz. (which I cringe to admit)

I think I will try #2 before admitting defeat...

Does it hang properly? Can you wear it?

Would loosening the lacing help any? How about just working the leather a bit - piece by piece?

No... no defeat not yet...

I edited the previous post by me, you can't put veg tanned leather in a dryer, it will be ruined. Chrome tanned leather you can though to tumble it to make it softer.

Anyway, here are my skirt pics, man, I feel like i am wearing a hoop skirt or like a peacock!

frontassmbledskrt.jpg

bkassmbledskrt.jpg

Anycow, the ebinger guy said use some stuff from the shoe/cobbler store that makes leather more "conditioned" and pliable. I really liked the loosenng lace, idea, but I have already cut the lace per column to 62" ugh...

Somehow, I am totally wrong, or there's something i am NOT seeing... Where's the daggone belt? How is the skirt attatched? Pic#4280 zoomed...now you guys tell me, where is the freakin belt?
beltsquare.jpg

I have no idea.
While we're at it, what the heck is this:

wire loop thingy.jpg

edit: nevermind...I think it's holding the gauntlet up on the mannequin...sorry!!

Moncal, I think your pic shows little "luggage" tags, so that the people at the MOM know which part goes to what...:D

Zam I Am wrote:

#3 used some type of leather that isn't so thick, like dallas' 4 oz. (which I cringe to admit)

ZAI never listens to me ;)

Anyway.. how come yer skirt looks so short¿ is it riding up too high on yer hips¿ How is the overall height compared to the standup¿

oK, the stand up and mine have a 3/4" difference in overall height. The reason mine is wider looking too, is cause I got a big 'ol butt, and I added another column of squares. I am thinking I might just take that column off, because it does look fat and funky...Oh, and that 3/4"-- so cut yer squares on the taller end, like more on 2 1/8" side. But 3/4" isn't all that bad... I am a half inch shorter than leanna anyway. Wish I could lose the weight, but my seamstress would kill me cause of alteration problems.

:D :D *glances at Zam standee* Hmmm... Seems being a Clawdite has it's advantages... you can give yourself a small butt! ;) One thing I know... I won't be needing that blasted butt-cushion! ;)

ZIA - Try taking off that extra column from the skirt, I think it's making it hang funny actually - by making the skirt go too far around your hips. As far as length... it looks a little short to me too. On the standee, the skirt goes down to the bottom of the back of her knees... it's hard to tell on your pics, but it looks shorter than that. Can you lower the belt to wrap more around your hips rather than your waist?

Overall I still think it looks terrific ZIA... the colors and effect are perfect. Now you're just down to the details... where the devil is! ;)

MaulMaus wrote:

Overall I still think it looks terrific ZIA... the colors and effect are perfect. Now you're just down to the details... where the devil is! ;)

What? I am the detail devil? Eh? Huh?

Well I took a column off and it does look lots better, but you see, I have dunlap's disease... My belly dun' lapped' o'er my belt...Waist? what waist? I got a big butt and i do not lie... So for all you skinny people out there, you would appreciate my dimentions on the skirt for leanna a lot more. They would definately fit someone of Leanna's size lots better.

I did forget to mention, the colors look great! Did you mix up a few different shades or did the leather accept the dye differently from piece to piece?....or both?

The dyes... where do i start.... Ok, I used the formula that I said above somewhere. That was the PERFECT color... Then Jim airbrushed it. He did the best job. Cause, airbrushing, you can make em lighter and darker. Then my grubby hands came into the picture. I ruined 6 rows with the wrong neatsfoot oil- then I recut all the squares, repunched all the holes, and then mixed another batch of dye...Whoops, a few more drops of red fell in by accident.... So then I had to re-airbrush EVERYTHING... and unfortunately, my hand at airbrushing isn't as good as Zam I Aint's so, everything, is more even colored then non-even. I tried doing it non-even, but I couldn't do it cause of the two batches scenario. So, make sure, you make 2 quarts of the same batch of dye. LOTS OF SOLVENT.

Zam I Am wrote:

[What? I am the detail devil? Eh? Huh?

No...no..no.... The devil is in the details!

Though... you do have a devilish eye for details! :D Which is a good thing when it comes to the costume!

Whew, at first I thought that you were going to get something other than osbourne #151. You still have to really really struggle to pull that lace through, it took me such a long time. I stayed up till 2 AM everynight this past week. Dang blasted lacing! Oh, if you wanna get it cheaper and save on shipping follow the directions I mentioned above about calling the osbourne company and finding a place near you to get it. I think I got mine for like $27.00.

Hi! I'm a total newbie, having only recently decided to put a Zam together. (How is it you end up wanting to start another costume even before your first is finished?)

I've read through the thread and can recommend a good leather treatment. It's called Ko-Cho-Line. Trust me, it's good stuff. It's mainly for nurishing old leather, but it also waterproofs, and would make the leather much more pliable. Rather than being an oil, it's a gel that you apply with your fingers. (It's good for the hands, too, makes mine lovely and soft!) It may slightly colour the leather, but as Ko-Cho-Line is pink in colour, it shouldn't be a problem with the purple dyes. It may even help and add to the colour! I don't think it's a strong colouration though. My saddle at work is pale and it doesn't colour it. I find it excellent on old or dry leather work. I couldn't get through a winter without it! Although I'm in the UK, I'm sure it's available worldwide.

I hope I've been of help.

Darth Pootle :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back