Skirt Making the skirt

Here are the laces wrapped around a piece of mdf, sealed and ready to go:

mylaces02sm1mg.jpg

Wow, lookin good. Looks like we're about on the same page here. I've been working on the skirt for the last couple days myself. It's one of the few things I can do in the house, when I can't get out into the shop. I've got it half laced-up so far. I still have about another four hours of lacing, and it's DONE !
smilie_cheering.gif

Now I gotta get them gauntlets finished.
smilie_cool.gif

Made some more progress today :)

Geez, it takes about an hour to lace three columns. 5 left... so a couple more hours to go:

myskirt06smga0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you do, don't cut off the top laces down to a knot until you are sure about the length of the skirt against her leg. That's where I made my big mistake. At least you could just add another set of squares if it isn't long enough. ;) But, everything should pan out cause you made the squares 2 1/4- 2 3/8" tall. right?

Yeah, I did make them a tad taller for that reason ;) and it does fit pretty well.

...BUT...

I can't even believe this. I could put my head in an oven right now .... (not really) .... However,
These pics are a little rushed and crummy but..
Can anyone see what is wrong with this picture? :

myskirt08sm9nh.jpg

myskirt098cz.jpg

myskirt10sm2fl.jpg

myskirt11sm8su.jpg

If not, then I know it'll pass the best criticizm out there ;)

If you can, I'll have to make a decision.............

If you're talking about the upper squares overlapping the lower ones, I wouldn't sweat it much. I had to double check the ref pics to be sure, myself, so I doubt anyone would notice. I think it looks awesome, and drapes really nice.
smilie_thumbup.gif

YUP!!! ding ding ding ....... THat's it!!!!!! :facepalm :facepalm :angry :angry

I can't believe it. I guess I assumed it'd be like everything else in this world where say ... water could shed off of it???? I think the costume builder screwed up ;)

I'll save that for a future upgrade if it still eats me up and I want to spend about 10 hours unlacing and relacing.

You're right though. Only the eyes in this forum would catch it.

Sigh, I feel your pain man... but, it's no biggie, not like me screwing up the with the wrong neatsfoot oil and having it too short... no one will notice. I had too do a ref pic look up too. It hangs really nicely! I am glad you gave it so much slack so that it wouldn't sit funny like mine.

Thanx MonCal youre a star!!! I didnt get around to finishing my test skirt yet ive only cut the strips so far, we have been working on the rifle

Thanks so much for fixing your photo links MonCal! They really help.

OK, I think I am getting another headache! Here are my questions after reading this thread just once (I know I need to read again).

1) Reference was made to patterns for the skirt. Does anyone have them? I see the discussion of sizes for the rectangle/squares but no photos of patterns or precise patterns.

2) Reference was also made to some lacing patterns, but photos for those are also gone. Can anyone help with that?

3) Dye recipe. ZamIAm said the forumla was in an above post but I can't find it. So what dyes are you guys using, what mixes, concentrations - etc?

I may have questions about cutting laces later. I'm not sure if I have that 100% clear. I need to take a breather.

If you could let us know what post number the missing pic is from it might be something one of us can either replace or post a new reply with the pic. I probably have about every pic ever posted here ;)

Sorry, I just don't have time to re-read the entire thread again right now. I'm pretty certain there was reference to a skirt pattern at the very beginning - but I don't know if that was e-mailed around privately or what.

In post #65 reference is made to "DCB's Diagrams". He has a few posts but it is hard to know exactly which posts have photos missing (I don't get red X's in my browser). I do know that some sort of skirt layout diagrams or lacing diagrams were mentioned and photos are missing in posts #45 & #62 by DCB.

As for the Dye formula, I'd doubt that was a photo. But I read over page one twice and couldn't find it. Just this quote from ZamIAm in post #81 when she was asked about how she got her colors to look so great she sais she used the "forumulas I said above...". Maybe she edited the info out to keep it a trade secret ;)

Kay Dee, I think I was posting and testing so much, I might've written the formula on another thread. But, I could be wrong. It was years ago, and honestly I may have lost the formula. I think that they may have had more dye on some squares and less on others anyway. Due to some residue spots on MOM photos, I am guessing that you can dunk dye some of the squares to get that blotched effect. There is one "back skirt" shot from MOM? or skirting danger files of the starwars.com photos that help you see it. I think it was sealed with resolene, but I don't think now that they used atom wax on it. After looking at some MOM shots ~ dsc04228, the weathering just takes on a whole new technique or actually ~ less technique ~ it looks more raw and dusty, not shiny/waxy.

Well, do you remember what brand and colors of dyes you started with? I'd rather use something others have tested and are known to work if I can :) I don't mind playing with dipping, air brushing, daubbing from there forward. Or, I guess I can just pick up red and blue dyes from Tandy and start mixing.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back