displaying your costume .. be careful!!!

MonCal

Active Hunter
I've had our showroom open for 2 months now and I've had some IKEA track lights displaying the costumes on mannequins. Well I've been wondering for a few weeks if my eyes were playing tricks on me because our zam didn't look quite right. I remember setting up the display room and thinking whew.. I'm lucky the lighting is perfect and displays the colors perfectly. Most lighting will make the costume look like a blue gumball so it's tough to get it right.

Well.... I finally decided to pick at the costume a bit, moved the chest armor and there is a huge line where the lighting was fading the leather dye and everywhere it was shadowed is still the original color. I might have caught it in time to save some of it but now I need to try and de-glaze the leather and re-airbrush and try to blend and touch it up..... AGHHHH!!!!

So I think the bulbs I have are probably UV rays ... I should have thought about it because I would never put the costume in a window where the sun could destroy it. It makes sense... it's probably the nice UV rays that give it it's true colors.

I totally believe in spending the money on a mannequin to display your expensive costume. It's both better than having it in a closet and also helps it keep its shape.

I don't have many pics but I do have one that was taken when the room was all finished.

IMG_1447sm.jpg

WOW! great display room, can't wait to see the rest of the photos.

I'd use "up lights" if that was my display room with non UV/low watt bulbs.

Awesome display! (would love more pics of that of course! :D )

Is there any kind of filter you can put over the lights - to keep the UV from hitting the displays? Because it'll damage the fabric too eventually.

Interesting....!

When me and Becky made hers we hung a load of it outside on the washing line for it to sunbleach and become lighter. The pigskin veil in particular

Nice looking TK armour there Cal. Any chance of some details on it?

man thats a aweet room cal! ive got so many costumes too but no cash for mannequins...lol ive got the room for it complete with all our other star wars cololectibles but finding cash for the mannequins is proving difficult, especially with more costumes being made...

that stinks about the fading...

Hi Moncal,

What a great display room. Glad you caught the problem with the Zam early. Would love to see more pics of your display when you get time.

Kind regards
Wendy

I'll have to take some good pics. I have some but probably not the best ... mainly just to archive everything for insurance reasons.

You can see a lot of the stuff in the gallery on our site though:
www.FarAwayCreations.com

I'll try to get some more pics together.

thanks .... just be careful displaying your stuff. I thought I should send out a heads up especially for the zammers. I don't use the lights too much now and it's pointed down but I still need to get some different bulbs.

Sebulba? You made a Sebulba? ***.... Cal... Is there anything you can't make? Awesome work on all those costumes and props there! Just awesome! :cheers

yeah... I wish I made the Sebulba ;) ... no .. I can't take credit for that :)
An artist under our "umbrella" or co-op of artists made that one. We can do stuff like that here but that particular, Awesome piece was made by another very talented builder who is also on the RPF.

Nice display room for all of your suits. Wish I had all that cool stuff. Green with jealousy here. Where is a good place to get a mannequin? Awesome. Would like to see more pics......

Thanks for the kind words!
I don't pop in here too much anymore unfortunately so I apologize for my slow response time.

The fading on the zam costume still eats at me. I've noticed fading and yellowing on some of the others now too so I've gotta fix the problem!!

I'll try to update pics on our site too at some point. www.FarAwayCreations.com We have some new stuff we need to get on there and if I can restore the zam that would be nice. We'll see how tough that will be.

Yes... MonCal has just about the coolest collection out there!!! Take a look at his webpage ( Far Away Creations )- I didn't know that some of his collection appeared in Fan Boys!!! It was the SW collection supposedly in Lucas's vault/collection room.)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back