Would this painting method work?

blur

New Hunter
I've seen a lot of tips and tricks when it comes to painting and weathering, and I have a concept in my head. I just don't know if it would work.

First, taking a piece of sintra-based armour and preparing it with a primer.

Second, using Rub'n'Buff to make the armour look like a piece of metal.

Third, masking sections of the armour with a masking agent.

Fourth, spray painting a solid colour all over the armour.

Fifth, removing the masking agent areas.

I guess the questions that come to mind are:

* Can a masking agent be used on sintra. If so, which one/kind?

* Will spray paint stick effectively to a piece of sintra with Rub'n'Buff on it, as I believe it's quite waxy?

* If all has gone to plan by the fifth step, will the masking agent lift off, but not take the metal colour underneath with it?

Thanks in advance, gurus 8)

- If you prime Sintra, you'll have no problem with paint. You can use any kind of liquid frisket or even the mustard technique -- though mustard stains some paint colors -- without a problem.
- No idea on whether you can paint over RubNBuff. I always used Krylon Brilliant Silver and then wetsanded it down to get a less glittery look.
- If you use liquid frisket and let the color underneath cure, you won't have a problem with it lifting that color. I love using this stuff and it works very well, even for details.

Good luck!
C

Though RnB produces a much more brilliant shine, it's very difficult to get a layer of paint to stick to it. You will be better off using Krylon silver paint, like Madmartigan said.

And you cant 'clear coat' over rub and buff. At least I havent found any paints that will not destroy the sheen.

Silver spray works well for alum/metal. If you want a mirror finish, use a brushed on testers.

To note, you get a MUCH better silver, when painted over black. Or dark dark gray, vs a light gray.

Ditto what everybody else said. Instead of R&B, use a chrome or silver spaypaint. (just make sure to let it dry completely.) Otherwise, your method should work just fine!!!! :)
D

Thanks for asking, because I too have a similar question:

For my helmet I want to achieve scratch marks that are both grey (almost primer colored) and silver (which will be my base coat). An idea I had was to paint the helmet an aluminum silver, mask off any weathered areas with a masking fluid, then paint it grey...achieving my silver weathered areas. But say I wanted grey areas too...could I leave the masking fluid on, and just add some so that a bit of grey will show? And then just paint over it with spruce green?

Feedback much appreciated,
Ryan

Yes you could do that. I just happen to remove all masking fluid on each layer. The problem you could run into if you don't do that is that you'll have a hard time removing the masking fluid when there's more layers of paint dried on top of it. The more you add, the harder to get it to come off.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back